Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
I think ghosts are a really interesting subject. I consider them possible, and I feel like I have experienced some supernatural and freaky shit before. I frequently go to a park called Starved Rock in Illinois where there was a large massacre of natives throughout the canyon system, and during certain times I enter caverns and have felt very uneasy and like I want to leave the area (feelings like dread or the feeling of being watched as well). I have also had other experiences in the house I grew up.

Then later I started watching Ghost Adventures. I have always watched other ghost hunting shows with a high level of skepticism, but this show truly seemed different. The things they capture on tape and the data they collect is incredible and compels me to find more and try and find more evidence to believe myself.

I just love paranormal stuff. Always have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2012, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2012 05:11 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
Take 10 people to that cave. Tell all 10 of them the stories of the massacre. Almost all of them will have feelings of dread, etc.

Take 10 more people but tell these 10 people that this cave was used by native Americans as a healing cave, it's imbued with mystical healing energies that calm the mind and body and regenerate energy and can even help heal illnesses and wounds, and none of them will feel any dread at all but most of them will feel a sense of well-being and peacefulness.

All 20 of them will tell you that these sensations came from outside themselves as if spirits or mystical energy were the cause.

But the truth is that it all comes from our own imaginations.

Take another 10 people and tell them nothing mystical at all. It's just a fun cave to explore and check out the rocks and stuff. Nobody will have any unusual sensations, good or bad.

Paranormal stuff is fun to read about and watch in movies. I love it too. So are other fun things like dragons and elves and (tomorrow) hobbits. And fairies, and cylons, and Jedi, etc. Totally cool. But it's all made up. All of it. Enjoy it because it's fun, not because it's possible.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 16 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
13-12-2012, 04:54 PM
(13-12-2012 04:38 PM)conkles Wrote:  I think ghosts are a really interesting subject. I consider them possible, and I feel like I have experienced some supernatural and freaky shit before. I frequently go to a park called Starved Rock in Illinois where there was a large massacre of natives throughout the canyon system, and during certain times I enter caverns and have felt very uneasy and like I want to leave the area (feelings like dread or the feeling of being watched as well). I have also had other experiences in the house I grew up.

Then later I started watching Ghost Adventures. I have always watched other ghost hunting shows with a high level of skepticism, but this show truly seemed different. The things they capture on tape and the data they collect is incredible and compels me to find more and try and find more evidence to believe myself.

I just love paranormal stuff. Always have.

So you believe our personalities and/or consciousness can survive our physical death.

Please explain how that might work.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't really believe in ghosts, but I love the idea of them :-) I thought I saw a ghost once walking down the street, where some construction was going on.

There was one time I really couldn't explain. I swear I caught a glimpse of a man in our garage room. He was wearing a hat and I thought how odd my husband is home from work. It was early for him (the bar was in that room so it was often his first stop to have a pint or two before heading into the house -- back in his home brew days) and he never wore a hat.

So, I went out there and there was no one there. A short while later he did get home and I told him the story.

He said I needed to get out more.

I still think about it...it could.have been a "pepper's ghost" effect given off the windows.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

13-12-2012, 08:40 PM
(13-12-2012 05:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't really believe in ghosts, but I love the idea of them :-)

Be careful for what you wish for Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
13-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Makes for good entertainment, but if you're serious, we're gonna hafta revoke yer atheism. Thumbsup

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-12-2012, 09:33 PM
(13-12-2012 08:40 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 05:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't really believe in ghosts, but I love the idea of them :-)

Be careful for what you wish for Dodgy
I read the book...it made me horny. So did The Witching Hour.
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-12-2012, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 01:07 PM by bemore.)
I have been on many ghost hunts. Whilst I believe that a large amount of confirmation bias goes on I also think there is a side that cannot be explained.

Like me and my bro sat upstairs in a room in the Erasmus Darwin school in the pitch black. After some time when our eyes had adjusted my bro said "Do you see what I see" and im like "you mean the black shapes that are moving" and he said yeah, he then pointed out where they were and we were both seeing the same thing.

That same hunt my sister (who believes she is sensitive to such things) walking down corridors and through rooms we hadnt been down in the pitch black, avoiding objects and moving around like it was daytime (I was filming her on night vision, thats how I could keep up with her as I could see)

The time I was in the cellar of the Leopard Inn and after checking the whole place for electronic interference we placed two EMF meters down. One at the entrance and one in the middle of the cellar. Our psychic of that time, Sue, said that some children had been following us around at a distance. So we invited them into the cellar. Sue told us that they were coming in and as she did the EMF meter fully lit up, as the EMF meter started to go down the one in the center started to go up, and it stayed lit up.

I have also been on hunts where nothing happened at all.

Like I say there is a lot of confirmation bias in these groups. Im welcomed there because of my skepticism. Whereas people might hear a knock or a scratch and IMMEDIATELY contribute it to spirit, I am way more cautious and look for things that cannot be explained so easily (which doesnt mean that they cannot be explained)

Science has explained a lot to us, however there are a lot of mysteries like how can a particle be in many places at once and be nowhere at the same time? How this world is solid yet the only thing "holding it together" is the force between electrons and nuclei. Not that I know a lot about quantum physics and im not using it as a case to prove anything.

One thing I do know is we will all find out one day wether its real or not Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
14-12-2012, 09:21 AM
(14-12-2012 02:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  One thing I do know is we will all find out one day wether its real or not Cool
Why do you think that?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
14-12-2012, 10:25 AM
(14-12-2012 09:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 02:09 AM)bemore Wrote:  One thing I do know is we will all find out one day wether its real or not Cool
Why do you think that?
Smells like smug self assurance to me, the last bastion of the believer whose certainty is that all things will be revealed in death. All that gets revealed in death is that love is void. There's my smug self assurance. Thumbsup

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post