Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 12:00 PM
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
(13-12-2012 04:45 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Take 10 people to that cave. Tell all 10 of them the stories of the massacre. Almost all of them will have feelings of dread, etc.

Take 10 more people but tell these 10 people that this cave was used by native Americans as a healing cave, it's imbued with mystical healing energies that calm the mind and body and regenerate energy and can even help heal illnesses and wounds, and none of them will feel any dread at all but most of them will feel a sense of well-being and peacefulness.

All 20 of them will tell you that these sensations came from outside themselves as if spirits or mystical energy were the cause.

But the truth is that it all comes from our own imaginations.

Take another 10 people and tell them nothing mystical at all. It's just a fun cave to explore and check out the rocks and stuff. Nobody will have any unusual sensations, good or bad.

Paranormal stuff is fun to read about and watch in movies. I love it too. So are other fun things like dragons and elves and (tomorrow) hobbits. And fairies, and cylons, and Jedi, etc. Totally cool. But it's all made up. All of it. Enjoy it because it's fun, not because it's possible.
This was before I had any knowledge of the history. I was told about the history more than a few weeks afterword. Also, I was skeptical, and still am. Just thought I would clarify.
(13-12-2012 04:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 04:38 PM)conkles Wrote:  I think ghosts are a really interesting subject. I consider them possible, and I feel like I have experienced some supernatural and freaky shit before. I frequently go to a park called Starved Rock in Illinois where there was a large massacre of natives throughout the canyon system, and during certain times I enter caverns and have felt very uneasy and like I want to leave the area (feelings like dread or the feeling of being watched as well). I have also had other experiences in the house I grew up.

Then later I started watching Ghost Adventures. I have always watched other ghost hunting shows with a high level of skepticism, but this show truly seemed different. The things they capture on tape and the data they collect is incredible and compels me to find more and try and find more evidence to believe myself.

I just love paranormal stuff. Always have.

So you believe our personalities and/or consciousness can survive our physical death.

Please explain how that might work.
I do not believe exactly in our personalities or consciousnesses can survive our physical death, or at least exactly. But I know of quantum theory and string theory (if ANYBODY claims to understand them, then they obviously have no idea what they are), and I believe there may be some relationship between what humans perceive as "paranormal activity" and other things from other universes (dimensions) and quantum phenomena. My belief is strictly a hypothesis still awaiting testing.

Here is what I currently feel is possible: As 3 dimensional beings, we can perceive the third dimension, just as 2 dimensional beings would only be able to perceive 2 dimensions (presumably). If a 3D being appears to a 2D being, it appears as a 2D cross section. If anybody has seen the geometry movie "Flatland" or has read the book, that may be of help. So if we popped in a 2D world, the 2D being would see something like an MRI of whatever slice of body we happen to show them (say my abdomen), which would certainly look eerie. This same concept applies to objects of higher dimensions appearing in lower dimension and creating a strange 3D cross section that we see (what we may know as ghosts).

This is a very short and under-complicated attempt at spelling out what I hope to test one day and further understand, but here is a project that does a decent job at explaining many of the theories

We have a decent share of information about quantum mechanics that I hope will one day prove or disprove that this does or does not violate our current laws of physics, but as of right now I just think of this as an interesting field that we do not know about and that we can test further.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like. - conkles - 14-12-2012 12:00 PM