Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 11:44 AM
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
Beetle Juice!

(that's one)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Beetlejuice!

The whole thing seems lazy and dishonest to me. Just because you can't explain something doesn't mean it's supernatural. Additionally, "hasn't been explained [yet]" and/or "I don't personally understand what happened" is not the same as "cannot be explained." I figure it's a mixture of dealing with mortality/wishful thinking, suggestion, hallucinations, ignorance, and misinterpretation of data.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Re: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
Something that annoys me about televised Paranormal hunter type shows is this- they show the teaser ads every week about how this or that group found "unbelievably shocking proof." However, these investigations were taped months ago. If anyone discovered earth-shattering, indisputable evidence of ghosts, Bigfoot, etc., it would be *BREAKING NEWS* all over the planet instantly. Very anti-climatic.
25-12-2012, 04:54 PM
^Well, I think it's like theists: they often have a different, looser definition of "evidence" than atheists, and they know it won't hold up to scientific scrutiny. That's why they have to try to insult nonbelievers by calling them "closed minded."

If ghosts were real, why do you supposedly have to believe in them to see them? That's pretty dumb, IMO. If something is real, it exists whether you believe in it or not.

My main peeve about those paranormal insvestigation shows (besides the fact such shows exist): these guys have been at it for years, supposedly, and they say a lot of the ghosts are harmless, and yet EVERY episode when they hear a noise, they run away screaming like a little girl. Why would you still be afraid of every ghost? Oh, I know: ratings! Same reason they have to fake door closing and noises for "evidence." Otherwise you'd just have a few assholes running around in the dark, saying that dust in an old building is really ghostly "orbs."

The bad science upsets me, too, while I'm on the subject. They find electromagnetism or whatever, or feel a chill, and say it must be ghosts, not wires or a drafty basement. And EVPS are such a joke. I like how they go to places like Romania and the ancient ghosts are speaking English.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-12-2012, 02:00 AM
(25-12-2012 05:58 AM)godlesszombie Wrote:  Something that annoys me about televised Paranormal hunter type shows is this- they show the teaser ads every week about how this or that group found "unbelievably shocking proof." However, these investigations were taped months ago. If anyone discovered earth-shattering, indisputable evidence of ghosts, Bigfoot, etc., it would be *BREAKING NEWS* all over the planet instantly. Very anti-climatic.
You know, you might be overthinking it...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-12-2012, 09:13 AM
(19-12-2012 10:43 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 08:22 AM)Logisch Wrote:  We live in an age when we can hot drop a 1 ton science lab on another planet with insane precision that is MOBILE and NUCLEAR POWERED. An age when we've cured tons of illnesses and diseases and medical science has a vastly awesome understanding of the brain we'd have only fathomed years prior. An age when we can look into the past thanks to the hubble deep field and wicked mathematics, seeing galaxies in their infancy millions of years after the big bang. We understand red shift. We pull oil out of the bottom of the ocean with engineering feats that the romans would have shit their pants thinking about.

We have even mapped out and detected the background radiation of the big bang... you would think by now if ghosts, unicorns, magic beasts and the supernatural existed we'd have more than certainly detected (at least as SOME form of energy) by now... and not on night camera television shows that can never be confirmed. I could be wrong, and maybe someday some ghosts will pop up and go, "Hey guys sorry... ok ok, you're all advanced now, I guess the jig is up. You would have found us anyway."

But I feel the same way about a god being.

If it can be asserted without evidence, it can be dismissed without evidence.

But I will admit, I like the "Paranormal Activity" movies... (I still think it's all bullshit though)

Not to nitpick at you or anything, but to nitpick... I can blurb out a a few things myself describing the many mysteries that have yet to be solved.

Yes, we have had great achievements and discoveries, but that doesn't even begin to take a slice out of the whole pie. You shouldn't dismiss "ghosts" purely on the fact that we know a fraction of a percent about the universe we live in. We still can't figure out a cure for cancer and that stuff is in our bodies readily available for testing.

Let me replace ghost and god and paste the results, then you can re-read it. I'm a skeptic, not someone who believes in stuff without evidence.

Quote:Not to nitpick at you or anything, but to nitpick... I can blurb out a a few things myself describing the many mysteries that have yet to be solved.

Yes, we have had great achievements and discoveries, but that doesn't even begin to take a slice out of the whole pie. You shouldn't dismiss "god" purely on the fact that we know a fraction of a percent about the universe we live in. We still can't figure out a cure for cancer and that stuff is in our bodies readily available for testing.

So how is a ghost and god any different? No... really, how is it? Things that we can't prove, things we have no evidence for, only hearsay easily dismissed stories thus far. With your stance on this, then why not believe in a god too. After all, we don't know everything about the universe, so hey, don't dismiss god beings, we cannot prove they exist either. I can't prove leprechauns either, or unicorns. I suppose I should leave those open for criticism. Never know when the secret of the universe will be discovered and all the above will suddenly make sense and be visible.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
08-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I did a short stint in a paranormal investigation group (Don't judge, I was bored, and what a better way to try to understand someones way of thinking then to experience it) That investigated haunted places (houses, churches, etc)

There were a couple things that were interesting that we found that with my limited education cant find a way to explain. (yet)

But 99 percent of it can be explained away by group suggestion, fear cages, exposure, or physical/structural problems.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
10-01-2013, 01:15 AM
(13-12-2012 04:38 PM)conkles Wrote:  I think ghosts are a really interesting subject. I consider them possible, and I feel like I have experienced some supernatural and freaky shit before. I frequently go to a park called Starved Rock in Illinois where there was a large massacre of natives throughout the canyon system, and during certain times I enter caverns and have felt very uneasy and like I want to leave the area (feelings like dread or the feeling of being watched as well). I have also had other experiences in the house I grew up.

Then later I started watching Ghost Adventures. I have always watched other ghost hunting shows with a high level of skepticism, but this show truly seemed different. The things they capture on tape and the data they collect is incredible and compels me to find more and try and find more evidence to believe myself.

I just love paranormal stuff. Always have.
If you love ghosts... I suggest you watch... GHOST NAPPA!

11-01-2013, 04:29 PM
(08-01-2013 02:55 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I did a short stint in a paranormal investigation group (Don't judge, I was bored, and what a better way to try to understand someones way of thinking then to experience it) That investigated haunted places (houses, churches, etc)

There were a couple things that were interesting that we found that with my limited education cant find a way to explain. (yet)

But 99 percent of it can be explained away by group suggestion, fear cages, exposure, or physical/structural problems.
I always thought ghostbusting is a popculture fiction that isn't really practiced worldwide, because it's not doing much actually. The most that people do around here is to go into haunted places and take a photograph, usually with a flash if it's dark. They hope to get some apparition on the camera, which is more sensitive than an eye. Then they show the "orbs".
They're probably a reflection from some dust or pollen particle right in front of the lens. There are some records of these objects moving around, even in Earth's orbit, but I'm not sure about what's that supposed to mean. They were recorded by the same people who can't identify a flying insect pattern on long camera exposure, they call them "rods".

11-01-2013, 04:35 PM
If I recall, Michael Shermer duplicated the "orb" effect. He found it was reflection off of a part of his camera. By blacking that part of the camera, he got no orbs. Leaving it unblacked he got lots of orbs, even in really bad lighting. It's been a while since I read his book (Why People Believe Strange Things - or something like that) so I can't remember any of the details.