Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Re: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
Almost all orbs u see are a result of one of the following....water particle reflection, lens flare, dust, bugs.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 03:21 AM
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
My opinion can best be summed up by philhellenes, in his video 'How To Fight A God'. It's an argument against gods wherein he argues that the best strategy is to attack the super natural, and all gods will fall with it. Jump ahead to 4:40 into the video, if you want to skip right to the part when he starts talking about ghosts specifically.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-01-2013, 09:35 PM
(11-01-2013 04:45 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Almost all orbs u see are a result of one of the following....water particle reflection, lens flare, dust, bugs.

The people on those ghost shows who go ape-shit over "orbs" always piss me off. They claim to be spirits the exact same lense-flares that I get in my sunglasses if I turn my head just right on a sunny day.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2013, 09:48 PM
(13-01-2013 09:35 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 04:45 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Almost all orbs u see are a result of one of the following....water particle reflection, lens flare, dust, bugs.

The people on those ghost shows who go ape-shit over "orbs" always piss me off. They claim to be spirits the exact same lense-flares that I get in my sunglasses if I turn my head just right on a sunny day.
Same. The guys on these shows would probably cum in their pants if they saw some of my early attempts at photography. Not supernatural, just bad conditions and/or bad camerawork. I had an ex boyfriend who was freaked out because I took a photo of a ouija board and there was a sort of haze around it. He thought spirits, I thought the film was old/damaged (this was before digital cameras).
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
18-01-2013, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2013 01:53 AM by Luminon.)
(17-01-2013 09:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 09:35 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The people on those ghost shows who go ape-shit over "orbs" always piss me off. They claim to be spirits the exact same lense-flares that I get in my sunglasses if I turn my head just right on a sunny day.
Same. The guys on these shows would probably cum in their pants if they saw some of my early attempts at photography. Not supernatural, just bad conditions and/or bad camerawork. I had an ex boyfriend who was freaked out because I took a photo of a ouija board and there was a sort of haze around it. He thought spirits, I thought the film was old/damaged (this was before digital cameras).
Sure they don't want to make faulty photographs. But what would you say to them if they say something like,
"nah, these white spots are errors, or grains of dust on the lens, but what about the other ones? The sharply defined round orbs that seem to have a structure inside like brain folds, or concentric circles, aren't these ghosts?"
I heard people say something like that and I don't know what to tell them, I've never photographed much. But I think my dad specifically believed that, plus something about evolution, he's a relatively smart man but doesn't go places where people disagree with him, so he keeps some ideas around he otherwise wouldn't.

20-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I would ask them why a ghost would appear as a circle, it's not very convincing. That being said, I took a photo of a Silent Hill Downpour shirt yesterday and there is an "orb" in it:
http://alchemillahospital.net/wp-content...pshirt.jpg
Lol. Haunted shirt.

My mom once bought some disposable cameras that are double exposed, they have skulls and ghosts that appear on your pictures. Back in the days when film was more common, double exposing film was a hobby of mine, sometimes you could get some really fun results on accident.

But still, why photos? If a ghost was keen on appearing to someone, why not appear to everyone in real life, or appear in a less ambiguous way? It is one of my peeves that people say you have to believe in ghosts to see them. Why? The only reason I can think of is that makes you subject to suggestion or makes you misinterpret what you're seeing/hearing and arriving at a supernatural explanation.
20-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Like a posted on another thread today. I lived in a haunted house. Shortly after moving in friends and family members started saying that they would see my son standing on the second floor landing. Well it would always happen when my son was not home. It would be on weekend when he was with his father. Then we talked to the neighbors and they said that a boy had died in a fire about the same age as my son. And that he scared away the people who lived there before us. I know what I saw and what I experienced while living in that house. No one can tell me it didn't happen or it was just in my head because it wasn't just me experiencing it. So that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Tongue I don't need anyone to agree or disagree just my two cents thrown in.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
20-01-2013, 05:16 PM
That's pretty common among ghost-believers actually; if more than one person thinks it's haunted, they think that constitutes evidence. However, it isn't very convincing because it's still subjective experience.

There are a lot of scientific explanations for why people believe things are haunted. All you need to do is google and you'll find all sorts of plausible explanations. You can't always trust your senses, that's why eyewitness testimony isn't very reliable.

As I see it, some people are just dead set on wanting to believe in these things, despite evidence to the contrary. I'm not hellbent on disproving ghosts, I just haven't seen one single bit of believable evidence for them, ever. I think it'd be cool to talk to dead people. But if dead people still existed as their living personality (quite improbable), you think they would've found a way to show they exist that satisfied everyone by now. But they haven't, so that makes it looks like delusions, cognitive errors, hallucinations, and wishful thinking.

And one of the biggest cop outs ever is to say you have to believe in ghosts to see them. That makes no fucking sense. If they exist, they exist whether I believe in them or not, therefore,I could see them whether I believed in them or not. EVPS are a load of shit, too. Why are they always in the language the person who hears them speaks? Because people's brain like to see/hear patterns in things, so they take meaningless sounds and interpret them as saying something in a language they speak and understand. And so on. People usually don't like to admit to not knowing shit, so they make up explanations.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
20-01-2013, 07:01 PM
No one that saw these things new it was haunted. I did not know it was haunted until after I talked to the neighbor about what we were seeing. And the people that were seeing him did not even know each other. So when I put all these puzzle peaces together. Huh I can't prove any of it. Don't live there anymore. It's just a story in my life. Not all that important just another peace in the puzzle of life.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
20-01-2013, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 03:37 AM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
Maybe you're right, smidgen. Maybe it did happen.

But I gotta say, anyone who includes "no one can tell me [otherwise]" in any story they're relating loses a lot of credibility.

Compare:
I think the government might be using satellites to read my thoughts.
To:
I know the government is using satellites to read my thoughts and nothing you can say will make me change my mind.

The first one sounds, to me, like someone with a silly idea who might be open to a discussion that could end up changing either his or my idea about government ESP satellites. The second one sounds like a raving lunatic with a crazy idea who won't listen to reason and, even if I do try to discuss it with him, we're not going to ever see eye to eye so why bother.

Back to your post, I am not trying to say you're absolutely wrong or anything, but if you are remotely interested in alternative plausible explanations about what you think you know, you might want to look into a couple books by Michael Shermer. Maybe the first one would be Why People Believe Weird Things, about $12 on Amazon. He has a lot of interesting info in there about hauntings and about how the human brain perceives (sometimes incorrectly) and remembers (sometimes incorrectly) supernatural events. He won't tell you you're wrong, juts like I won't, but he might give you food for thought to consider the possibility that there might be one or two other, believable, explanations to consider.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post