Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2013 11:34 AM by Luminon.)
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
(24-01-2013 02:47 AM)amyb Wrote:  Of course it isn't all wrong; seeing patterns and agency has helped our species survive. That doesn't mean it hasn't also led to a lot of cognitive errors.

Funny you should mention Occam's Razor, when you've been making a lot of assumptions and unfounded claims that you'll survive death and you have some kind of soul or astral body or something. The simplest answer, which makes the least assumptions and is based on reality and observation, would be that people are dead after they die, at least as I see it.
You don't know the environment where I come from. I come from a family and broad circle of family friends who are basically new agey neo-hippies. They were starved for spirituality in the grey and dull era of Communism and now they enjoy it to the fullest. Of course, it's all strictly voluntary, my folks protected our freedom (no baptism, etc) and my two brothers are very critical of religions and so on, if they ever talk about them. But they basically don't care.

By far and large, I'm the one using Occam's razor the most where I come from. As I said, I'm a guy of experience, better said, perception. I'm something like an athlete or chess player, in the sense that I watch myself and focus on myself, because I am my own instrument. And I need a theory to explain, or at least catalogize what I observe.
And I use Occam's razor on everything that can't explain or otherwise bring more light to my observations. If I make assumptions, then always with a qualifier. Some are more probable/important/necessary, some less, some almost not. It's a jungle of thought, but in this jungle there's a natural order.

For example, right now my head hurts like goddamn fucking hell, exactly where the right side Chi meridian leads. When I press it on my neck, it stops hurting above that, as if I restricted the flow of pain. Therefore, I know which way it flows. And I sure am not in mood to consider how I'm imagining things or how I need peer-reviewed journals to know anything.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like. - Luminon - 24-01-2013 11:23 AM