Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 01:05 AM
RE: Ghosts, Spirits, Apparitions, and the like.
(28-10-2013 04:05 PM)Luminon Wrote:  You will never be a social scientist if you continue thinking like that.

I think you know as much about the social sciences as you do the physical sciences. To wit, not much at all.

Quote:Social scientists have to be good at communication.

No they don't. Economics is one of the social sciences and there is no special requirement of economists to be good at communication.

Quote:Communication is a social activity.

No shit Sherlock.

Quote:It may involve people with other paradigms, different experiences, different languages and cultural values.

Your shit-talking doesn't constitute an other paradigm or an other language. It's just shit-talk.

Quote:Even bullshit may serve an important function

For whom? For you it serves an important function in that it contributes towards your self-delusion.

Quote:or not be actually bullshit at all.

It is bullshit unless you can substantiate it. You haven't substantiated it so it is bullshit.

Quote:Papers saying others are full of shit will not be graded, if I paraphrase someone.

You are full of shit.

Quote:The vital field is responsible. The vital field is held together by the bodily electro-magnetic field from blood circulation and controlled by electric activity of the nerve system.

Can you cite any peer-reviewed papers that are published in PubMed indexed journals that substantaite any of these claims?

Quote:But damn if I know what the ability itself is it actually good for.

So show us the evidence that the "vital field" exists and that it is "held together by the bodily electro-magnetic field from blood circulation and controlled by electric activity of the nerve system".

Quote:Very peculiar and very useless.

Much like you and your posts.

Quote:Most of the time I use it for something entirely different,

Entirely different to what? You said, "But damn if I know what the ability itself is it actually good for". And now you are writing as if you do know what "it" is for but you use "it for something entirely different".

Quote:like passively sensing if I do my meditations right.

As opposed to actively sensing if you do your meditations right?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
29-10-2013, 07:01 PM
(22-10-2013 11:36 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Thats awesome, the "old hag" myth. I'd love to read your paper when your doneSmile

I spoke with one of my professors today about my research, and she told me that I should submit it to the school's ethics committee, the first step that any anthropologist must take in order to get permission to interview subjects. I told her it was a private project outside of school, but she suggested that I still submit to the committee just in case I ever wanted to publish it in a journal.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-11-2013, 05:42 PM
When I was a Christian and still believed in demons, a co-worker told me of a story where both she and her cousin saw this shadowy figure come up to their bed in the middle of the night (As always, right?) and she saw teeth and it looked down at her as her cousin was screaming under the covers. She said that the thing that scared her the most was that her cousin saw it, too.

I told my sister this story, and since I've de-converted, she likes to remind of this story. She says, "Science type people try to explain it all away, but they both saw it, so they can't really say it was just a dream or a hallucination."

It is odd that they both saw it, but more and more, I assume my co-worker was lying for the sake of telling an elaborate tale. Or maybe it was sleep paralysis, and she just thought that her cousin was there with her and saw it?
Find all posts by this user
21-11-2013, 08:29 PM
(21-11-2013 05:42 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  When I was a Christian and still believed in demons, a co-worker told me of a story where both she and her cousin saw this shadowy figure come up to their bed in the middle of the night (As always, right?) and she saw teeth and it looked down at her as her cousin was screaming under the covers. She said that the thing that scared her the most was that her cousin saw it, too.

I told my sister this story, and since I've de-converted, she likes to remind of this story. She says, "Science type people try to explain it all away, but they both saw it, so they can't really say it was just a dream or a hallucination."

It is odd that they both saw it, but more and more, I assume my co-worker was lying for the sake of telling an elaborate tale. Or maybe it was sleep paralysis, and she just thought that her cousin was there with her and saw it?

Having rehearsed and visualised and re-enacted the memory in her head - and probably done this with her cousin - her so-called "eyewitness" account itself accounts for jack and shit. They've built it up between them.

I don't think most people actually realize how bad our memories are. Atrociously bad. There's a reason an uncorroborated eyewitness is worse than nothing in a courtroom.

If someone is convinced their fabricated subjective personal experience actually means something - unfortunately, there's not much you can do to dissuade them.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
21-11-2013, 08:37 PM
(21-11-2013 08:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 05:42 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  When I was a Christian and still believed in demons, a co-worker told me of a story where both she and her cousin saw this shadowy figure come up to their bed in the middle of the night (As always, right?) and she saw teeth and it looked down at her as her cousin was screaming under the covers. She said that the thing that scared her the most was that her cousin saw it, too.

Having rehearsed and visualised and re-enacted the memory in her head - and probably done this with her cousin - her so-called "eyewitness" account itself accounts for jack and shit. They've built it up between them.

I don't think most people actually realize how bad our memories are. Atrociously bad. There's a reason an uncorroborated eyewitness is worse than nothing in a courtroom.

If someone is convinced their fabricated subjective personal experience actually means something - unfortunately, there's not much you can do to dissuade them.
Yes, people who are most confident in their memory can be such a downfall. Complete confidence does not mean fact. There was a woman who was completely with full confidence and trust that she found her rapist and he was sentenced to jail for many years only to be proven innocent after the real rapist was caught. A tragic tale that we must not take anything on complete faith.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Those are good points. Thanks! Also, I was thinking that her cousin was probably screaming because she was saying stuff like, 'oh my god, something is coming over here!" So many reasons could explain how she could've seen it. Sometimes I see weird images in the dark, even colours, but I think it could be because my eyes aren't very good.
22-11-2013, 01:37 PM
(22-11-2013 01:12 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Those are good points. Thanks! Also, I was thinking that her cousin was probably screaming because she was saying stuff like, 'oh my god, something is coming over here!" So many reasons could explain how she could've seen it. Sometimes I see weird images in the dark, even colours, but I think it could be because my eyes aren't very good.
ever hear of infrasound? Low sounds that our ears can't pick up elephants actually use them to communicate, it can go on for miles. If you're experiences happen in a specific room or area there could be something causing it, usually mechanical or loose bolts on air conditioner, things like that. these sounds can cause you to feel uneasy or see things that aren't there. They cause your eyes to vibrate a bit too.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
22-11-2013, 01:44 PM
I've had plenty of "weird" experiences over the years that could have been ghost, spirits or something unexplained. Here's a few that I can recall, although I'm sure there have been a few other strange things that happened.

I've woken up at night a couple of times seeing orbs floating right in front of my face that kept floating away just out of my reach when I tried to reach and touch it. (Alien drone checking me out?)

I've been the only one awake and in the house at night and distinctly heard footsteps in the hallway upstairs, coming down the staircase. My cat even got up on the back of the couch and looked as if he could see something there that I couldn't. (Ghost haunting?)

I had an experience as a teenager where I fell asleep on the couch in our basement and dreamed a demon was attacking me. I woke up pinned to the couch unable to move. I swear I could feel its hands (claws perhaps) clenched around my shoulders. Being a good Christian boy at the time I rebuked it in the name of Christ and it let me go. (Demon attack / possession?)

Today, in my skepticism I sound like the stodgy old professor in the horror movie, who explains all the experiences away with something obvious and a dismissive wave of his hand.

Orbs = Something funky going on visually, related to pupil dilation, ambient light, and disorientation coming out of deep sleep.

Footsteps = The overweight people in the town house next door (that I hadn't realized move in a few days prior) moving around at night.

Demonic Attack = Sleep paralysis and an imaginative dream.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Debating a Close Friend on the Topic of Ghosts and Hauntings pppgggr 6 195 03-07-2014 06:21 AM
Last Post: LostLocke
  Belief in Ghosts is not Harmless Airportkid 19 596 03-06-2014 01:06 PM
Last Post: Hamata k
  Zombies or ghosts? GenerationWhy 20 1,195 16-12-2012 07:11 AM
Last Post: Vera