Ghosts and Spooks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Ghosts and Spooks
Being that the majority of the forum is made up atheists, and atheists tend to dismiss supernatural claims/occurances, I can safely presume that most of us here dismiss the existence of spirits, "ghosts", and other supernatural nonsense.

But even so, is anyone else as obsessed with TV shows like "Ghost Hunters" and "Ghost Adventures" as I am? Even if I don't take any of it seriously, I still love it for the entertainment. I've been completely obsessed with the supernatural since I was a kid, even though now I don't view it the way I once did.

I can't be alone on this.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2012, 12:00 AM
RE: Ghosts and Spooks
Can't say I am, I'm not even aware that those shows exist down here in my native land.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
20-09-2012, 12:26 AM
(20-09-2012 12:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Can't say I am, I'm not even aware that those shows exist down here in my native land.

My cat seems to witness paranormal phenomena quite regularly. Is he perhaps schitzophrenic or psychic?
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
20-09-2012, 12:31 AM
(20-09-2012 12:26 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  My cat seems to witness paranormal phenomena quite regularly. Is he perhaps schitzophrenic or psychic?

My father has a saying that I adopted quite rapidly and love to use in this kind of discussion.
"A psychic is just a psychotic that hasn't been diagnosed yet."

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
20-09-2012, 12:49 AM
(20-09-2012 12:31 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-09-2012 12:26 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  My cat seems to witness paranormal phenomena quite regularly. Is he perhaps schitzophrenic or psychic?

My father has a saying that I adopted quite rapidly and love to use in this kind of discussion.
"A psychic is just a psychotic that hasn't been diagnosed yet."
But what worries me is who are diagnosing the diagnosers.......Unsure
20-09-2012, 05:04 AM
As I say when someone asks me about stuff like that, "I know it's what is going on 'cause I'm psychotic, oops, I mean psychic!"
20-09-2012, 05:19 AM
My maths teacher (he's probably long dead now ooOOoooOOOoooh!) had this way of justifying ghosts (and this is long before theories of 11 dimensions):

Imagine living in a 1-dimensional world (a line) and 2-dimensional shape passes through it. You would see (looking along your line) no dot (before), a dot (during) then no dot (after).

Imagine living in a 2-dimensional world (a plane) and 3-dimensional shape (e.g. a sphere) passes through it. You would see (looking across your plane) nothing (before), a short line, then increasingly longer lines getting closer to you, then increasingly shorter lines moving away from you (during) then no line (after).

Imagine living in a 3-dimensional world (a room) and 4-dimensional shape passes through it.
What would that look like? A ghost?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-09-2012, 05:29 AM
DLJ, you lost me at dimensions.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-09-2012, 05:36 AM
I enjoy the concept of those shows, however I feel they are going about proving the existence of ghosts if indeed that is what they want to do. I think they are more into the constant flow of money though.
20-09-2012, 05:46 AM
(20-09-2012 05:36 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I enjoy the concept of those shows, however I feel they are going about proving the existence of ghosts if indeed that is what they want to do. I think they are more into the constant flow of money though.

Going to prove the existence of ghosts you say?