Ghosts and Spooks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2012, 07:37 AM
RE: Ghosts and Spooks
(21-09-2012 06:09 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm stickin' with "Bah, humbug."

Merry Christmas Smile

How many ghost hunts have you been on personally????

Define 'ghost hunt'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2012, 07:42 AM
(22-09-2012 01:36 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 08:27 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  They're trans-dimensional beings entering briefly into our universe when it's membrane collides with the membrane of another universe floating around the multiverse.

Either that or,
Any kind of ghost or spook sighting is just evidence of confirmation bias in those hoping to see something.

Most likely the last one. However, there are certain physical occurances which are currently unexplained. More than simple "ghost sightings"; I mean actual objects being thrown, people being pushed, etc.

Most of those 'occurrences' are explained or do not have credible evidence. Many alleged hauntings have been investigated and there is usually nothing there.

22-09-2012, 07:46 AM
(22-09-2012 02:35 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 02:16 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I only know of anecdotal evidence for so called unexplained sightings. Is there more credible evidence?

In some cases, there is video evidence (as well as physical marks on the body), but unfortunately, there isn't much else. True, these occurances cannot be observed, tested and REtested under lab conditions, but then, neither can exoplanets. We can't see them, we can't touch them, we can't measure them. But we know they exist because of the effects they have on their neighboring stars.

I truly hate to sound like a religious nutjob here (I've been cringing since I began this thread), but I don't care how logical and evidence-dependant people like you and me are; if either of us is in a room alone, and suddenly a book flies across the room and smacks us in the face, we're not gonna be too concerned with finding "more credible evidence". We're gonna know that something caused a book to fly across the room and smack us across the fucking face. If we managed to get it on video; we'll be even more certain that this actually occured in the realm of observable reality, rather than simply in our imagination or flawed perception.

Then imagine our frustration when we tell others what we've experienced (if we dare, that is) and they (justifiably) write it off as "anecdotal" and thus, not immediately worth their serious consideration.

Not saying we should accept these things as fact, mind you - if someone came to me with a story like that, I'd smile to their face but walk away laughing. I'm just saying that we should see it through their eyes when considering the validity of their claims.

I await the evidence.

22-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Ghosts and Spooks
What further evidence do you need? There have been videos made and a guy had scratches on his neck. Oh and I know a guy who was told about a book that floated in the air.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-09-2012, 01:43 AM
(22-09-2012 07:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What further evidence do you need? There have been videos made and a guy had scratches on his neck. Oh and I know a guy who was told about a book that floated in the air.

My step-brother's best friend's cousin's uncle had a wife (now ex) who heard from her daughter's boyfriend's dad that he knew a guy in highschool that was dating this girl who's mom's poolboy worked for a family that ran a diner. A little old lady frequented this diner, and she often told stories about how her grandson's schoolyard friend was trying to "go out" with a schoolgirl who's dad ran a law firm that represented a man who's ex-wife had been sleeping with a man who claimed (now, this is just HIS version of things) that his son's aunt (on his mother's side) lived in a house that was once owned by a man who's 3rd son was dating a girl who's boss knew of a shady kind of guy who used to be his room-mate in college. The two of them allegedly stayed up at all hours of the night and, instead of studying, this room-mate would recount stories that his grandmother used to tell him about a woman she used to know, who was told by her grandfather's old sailing buddy from his time in the Navy, that when he was a young man, he lived with a girl who's dad's brother used to buy drugs from a guy who's client list included a rich young lad who's father owned a factory that manufactured one of the first internal-combustion engines. He had worked all his life to become the success that he was, and he did so with honesty and integrity. One night, he told his daughter that he heard a creak in the hallway one friggid Winter's evening. And guess what?

He was home alone.

If that doesn't convince you, I simply don't know what will.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 6 users Like Misanthropik's post
23-09-2012, 03:02 AM
(23-09-2012 01:43 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 07:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What further evidence do you need? There have been videos made and a guy had scratches on his neck. Oh and I know a guy who was told about a book that floated in the air.

My step-brother's best friend's cousin's uncle had a wife (now ex) who heard from her daughter's boyfriend's dad that he knew a guy in highschool that was dating this girl who's mom's poolboy worked for a family that ran a diner. A little old lady frequented this diner, and she often told stories about how her grandson's schoolyard friend was trying to "go out" with a schoolgirl who's dad ran a law firm that represented a man who's ex-wife had been sleeping with a man who claimed (now, this is just HIS version of things) that his son's aunt (on his mother's side) lived in a house that was once owned by a man who's 3rd son was dating a girl who's boss knew of a shady kind of guy who used to be his room-mate in college. The two of them allegedly stayed up at all hours of the night and, instead of studying, this room-mate would recount stories that his grandmother used to tell him about a woman she used to know, who was told by her grandfather's old sailing buddy from his time in the Navy, that when he was a young man, he lived with a girl who's dad's brother used to buy drugs from a guy who's client list included a rich young lad who's father owned a factory that manufactured one of the first internal-combustion engines. He had worked all his life to become the success that he was, and he did so with honesty and integrity. One night, he told his daughter that he heard a creak in the hallway one friggid Winter's evening. And guess what?

He was home alone.

I'm crying! I want to give more likes.

Last line reminded me of Hitch, too.

Thanks mate.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-09-2012, 02:10 AM
(23-09-2012 03:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-09-2012 01:43 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  My step-brother's best friend's cousin's uncle had a wife (now ex) who heard from her daughter's boyfriend's dad that he knew a guy in highschool that was dating this girl who's mom's poolboy worked for a family that ran a diner. A little old lady frequented this diner, and she often told stories about how her grandson's schoolyard friend was trying to "go out" with a schoolgirl who's dad ran a law firm that represented a man who's ex-wife had been sleeping with a man who claimed (now, this is just HIS version of things) that his son's aunt (on his mother's side) lived in a house that was once owned by a man who's 3rd son was dating a girl who's boss knew of a shady kind of guy who used to be his room-mate in college. The two of them allegedly stayed up at all hours of the night and, instead of studying, this room-mate would recount stories that his grandmother used to tell him about a woman she used to know, who was told by her grandfather's old sailing buddy from his time in the Navy, that when he was a young man, he lived with a girl who's dad's brother used to buy drugs from a guy who's client list included a rich young lad who's father owned a factory that manufactured one of the first internal-combustion engines. He had worked all his life to become the success that he was, and he did so with honesty and integrity. One night, he told his daughter that he heard a creak in the hallway one friggid Winter's evening. And guess what?

He was home alone.

I'm crying! I want to give more likes.

Last line reminded me of Hitch, too.

Thanks mate.

lol. I knew that if anyone out there on the internetz could appreciate it; it'd be you. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
29-09-2012, 09:46 PM
(20-09-2012 05:46 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(20-09-2012 05:36 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I enjoy the concept of those shows, however I feel they are going about proving the existence of ghosts if indeed that is what they want to do. I think they are more into the constant flow of money though.

Going to prove the existence of ghosts you say?

If they do exist (I doubt they do though), it should be able to be proven. If you believe that the K2 meter thing they have works as the say it does and you have the budget of the syfy channel, you could purchase one for every key on a keyboard. If you wired one up to activate a certain key on the keyboard and you mark what letters they go to, you could get real responses that can be verified. Let's say for example you investigate an old air force base (they have done it before) and you somehow get classified info out of thin air, that would almost be proof positive. As long as it can be repeated by anyone with the equipment, mystery solved. Of course it would end that revenue stream for that show. It would open up a whole new one though. It would be the beginning of the ghostbusters. You know, play a game of who's haunting my house kind of thing. So, both things are possible. Either it is fake or they are worried about having a source of money dry up. Or it is a matter of "You can't handle the truth!".
29-09-2012, 11:48 PM
We got shit hardwired into us, like fear of the unknown, simulation of future, and simulation of agency. Like when there's a noise at night, we go, "who's there?" Which is kinda absurd, if you think about it, but when it happens, we ain't thinking, and the fear gets to simulating some agency. It does this so we GTFO and live to perpetuate the species. Thumbsup

That stuff, I find it kinda interesting, some of those shows are OK, but mostly I think they're stupid. I mean, going into some rickety old shack all pumped up on fear and adrenaline is a good way to get a busted skull.

And if something did happen, I'd be the fuck outta there. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
(29-09-2012 11:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That stuff, I find it kinda interesting, some of those shows are OK, but mostly I think they're stupid. I mean, going into some rickety old shack all pumped up on fear and adrenaline is a good way to get a busted skull.

And if something did happen, I'd be the fuck outta there. Big Grin

[Image: today_on_ghost_adventures____by_phuzface1-d2yj5v7.jpg]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post