Ghosts of the ostfront

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2017, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 12:04 PM by Deesse23.)
Ghosts of the ostfront
Thats the title of a series by self proclaimed "Fan of history" Dan Carlin.

After having listened to (almost) all his other podcasts of his "hardcore history" series i decided to finish with the Ostfront. Like usual, Carlin took his typical and very uncommon approach. I have to say i pretty much liked it (so far, i am at part 3 of 4).

Have any of you guys listened to this too? What do you think of it? What do you think of Carlin in gerneral? What is his public image in the US?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2017, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 12:32 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: Ghosts of the ostfront
Never heard of. I don't listen podcasts in general.

I just listened to his Ostfront promo and depending on what he exactly mean he is wrong or lying or bit over-dramatic: He speaks about following orders used as excuse and make some point about how terrible could be consequences of not following it, yet he fail to realize that no single Wehrmacht soldier was executed for refusing to take part in mass shootings*. However if he is talking in wider sense then I think he is bit over-dramatic, not entirely wrong. But starting like that I'm not really interested in what else he has to say. Hysteric tone does not fit with history.

There's also issue with him mentioning Milgram experiment - it might have been not so conclusive after all.

*Quote from Waitman Wade Beorn Marching into Darkness: The Wehrmacht and the Holocaust in Belarus, p.106 of Polish 2017 edition, translation mine:

One must be aware of the fact that no historian - or German lawyer - was able to document case of executing German for not taking part in mass murder. ([...]Trzeba jednak zaznaczyć, że żaden historyk - ani też niemiecki adwokat - nie zdołał udokumentować przypadku egzekucji Niemca za odmówienie udziału w masowym mordzie[...]).

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I wish he would break his history podcasts into smaller chunks. I know I don't have to listen to it one sitting but it's inconvenient dealing with those 3-4 hour chunks. He's still VERY interesting.
23-07-2017, 11:54 AM
I never listened to any of his podcasts.

I have a hard enough time dealing with the bullshit Guido Knopp and crew dished out. Mostly produced by the hystery channel anyway and sold to be the investigative work of their own. The quality is below subway level, as has to be expected.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
23-07-2017, 12:13 PM
(23-07-2017 11:54 AM)abaris Wrote:  I never listened to any of his podcasts.

I have a hard enough time dealing with the bullshit Guido Knopp and crew dished out. Mostly produced by the hystery channel anyway and sold to be the investigative work of their own. The quality is below subway level, as has to be expected.

Carlin is different, very different. He also makes clear that what he does can only be an introduction about the topics at hand and that he is trying to abstain from being judgemental or dishing out "final truths".

He usually dishes out 1 or 2 major podcasts (hardcore history) per year, and prior to that reads several books to gain (more) knowledge about the topic. I think he is the most professional amateur historian there is.

23-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Two opinions from people who never listened to him...

ok
23-07-2017, 12:23 PM
(23-07-2017 12:21 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Two opinions from people who never listened to him...

ok

I just listened to his Ostfront promo.

Need glasses?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-07-2017, 12:29 PM
The entire promo? Wow. Get working on your dissertation the book work is done.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
23-07-2017, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 12:38 PM by Szuchow.)
(23-07-2017 12:29 PM)ImFred Wrote:  The entire promo? Wow. Get working on your dissertation the book work is done.

Didn't bothered with entirety of it. I have no reason to believe that material starting wrong will suddenly improve. But you sound strangely concerned. Did I said something bad about your childhood idol?

As for dissertation - you will be first person I will ask to help. Always liked clowns.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
23-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Guys, please dont make me get the big ol´water hose. Big Grin

Szuchow: I appreciate your effor tot listen to the promo, but (like many things) Carlin can only be judged by getting a bit deeper:

Abaris: No, its definitely not Gido Knopp like. He is 0% moralizing (unlike Guido) Laugh out load You may wanna try on (YT) his podcast on the "Wiedertäufer" movement in Münster, "Prophets of doom". Something that definitely must have been hard for him to learn, and something we germans (in a broader sense Big Grin ) have a better knowledge of, because each people tend to have a better education on their own history (again: generally speaking).