Ghosts with shit jobs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Ghosts with shit jobs
Ghosts with shit jobs

This is an interesting look at what might happen if America and the west continue it's downward spiral. It's kinda like a reversal of what is happening now where Chinese and Indians do internet jobs of questionable legality.

Just watch the preview (linked up top) and tell me what you think!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2011, 11:07 AM
RE: Ghosts with shit jobs
I liked the baby making thing. But I don't see the scenario as likely. The only reason extreme poverty works for other countries is either because they started that way and just kept on with it, or because they had a much more gradual fall from grace to soften the blow. America is full of people who feel that everything is owed to them because it's the way they were raised. They don't see the pillow on the bed as a lucky or cherished item, it's just a pillow, there are always pillows. So in this day and age where things happen at a much more rapid pace and the whole world watches, I think if things went really sour it would be like a smack in the face to most, and they wouldn't know how to survive. I might be able to make it but only because I've lingered right near and sometimes below the poverty line, but some people wouldn't be so "lucky"?
What do I know, humans do have this way of surviving when we shouldn't.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2011, 09:53 PM
RE: Ghosts with shit jobs
I doubt it is even remotely likely, particularly within that time frame. China has yet to get close to the West's capabilities - they have cheap labor, but their engineering isn't that great yet. For example, Chinese steel is crap quality compared to the West. Why? Technical know-how, as they have literally bought Western plants and shipped them to mainland China. (http://www.ita.doc.gov/media/ch6.pdf, see page 140 [2nd pg]). Basic material, but they're struggling with quality. I don't see them competing in advanced composites and the like for a while yet.

They also seem to struggle with originality... Their new J-20 fighter is practically an F22 clone. Their cars are laughable clones of Western and Japanese cars - see the Laibao SRV, Geely Merrie 300, BYD F6... Pretty much every fashion label has been copied - my favorite is Dolce & Banana (no joke, if you're clueless the original is Dolce & Gabbana). I'm not sure what would be harder, finding an original Chinese product or a Western product that they have NOT copied (bought brands like Lenovo don't count).

China has a couple advantages - extremely low labor rates and a significant installed base of manufacturers and suppliers. Their low wages are a) a problem for human rights and b) rising fast. They won't have the low labor advantage anymore. If it's no longer cheap enough to manufacture in China to excuse the quality, there will be no reason to manufacture there except ease of access to their suppliers. Which can also shift, as other countries develop their manufacturing (India for example).

China has economic problems looming too. It's not well known, but there is a large real estate bubble developing in China. The government has been building rapidly in order to expand infrastructure and keep up the economy's rapid growth. This has led to entire cities being left uninhabited as they outpaced demand. Meanwhile, property prices in major cities are overvalued by as much as 70%. Growth could very well slow as manufacturers shift elsewhere or reduce Chinese expansion (in light of diminishing cost advantages of manufacturing in China vs. elsewhere). What got the US in the mess we're in now? Hint: it wasn't China calling to collect their 16% share of US debt (by the way some people talk, it'd seem that figure was more like 80%).

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user