Ghostwriting' the Torah?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Ghostwriting' the Torah?
Just wanted to pass on this interesting article. The replies are interesting as well.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-ghos...utors.html

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2011, 01:01 PM
RE: Ghostwriting' the Torah?
@defacto7,

Thanks for the link to that article. It's nice to see computational linguistics being put to such practical use.

Of course it's been known since the 19th century that several distinct source documents were combined and edited together to form the Hebrew Bible. What the article didn't mention and what I'd be most interested in is the extent to which these recent analyses support Wellhausen and the Documentary Hypothesis, with its well-known JEPD breakdown.

The clearest and most informative thing I've read along these lines is Richard Friedman's The Bible With Sources Revealed (Wikipedia article here). The title is a misnomer, since the book is not about the whole Bible but only about the Torah--i.e. Genesis through Deuteronomy. But what it reveals about those books is eye-opening. Friedman uses different text colors and font styles to reveal the individual source docs and how they were cut up and glued together. For anyone interested in how the Bible came to be, it's fascinating stuff.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply