Gideons bible, hand out propaganda and door to door relations.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Gideons bible, hand out propaganda and door to door relations.
The recent thread on CB getting christian hand outs with his purchase in the mail has me wondering about certain evangelizing.

There are ways that christians have decided they can spread their thoughts and beliefs. This is fine, spreading ideas. That's how we learn and grow and I love TED talks, ideas worth spreading (ha ha).

This summer, however, every hotel we went to on our holiday across the west coast there was a bible, the gideon bible, in every room.

I was too busy with my trip but I have often thought about leaving something in hotels as well as I pass through them.

The thought behind the gideon bible, and I am sure with others sending quotes or messages to reach people, is to help people. To keep them positive. Except the bible isn't really positive, lol.

What about atheist or just scientific, maybe psychological handouts, that could actually help people? Wouldn't that be more beneficial? Support lists or interesting facts, inspiring quotes- whatever.

Do you think organized 'propaganda' of atheist or scientific's own would be helpful? Shouldn't there be more than one option or opinion with things like this?

And just to throw in, what about door to door evangelizing? Personally I think that one is dumb, but you never know what kind of conversations you could strike up I guess. Maybe it would be worth a 'movement' to get people to critically think.

Just curious what others think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
RE: Gideons bible, hand out propaganda and door to door relations.
Well, atheists have no dogma , so it would be hard to spread a common idea from all of them.
As for science books , nobody bothers , they prefer the sensational and the idiotic. That's what sells.
But i would troll if given the chance : If i found a bible in my hotel room in a drawer , i would buy a Talmud a Koran a Scientology book etc. and fill the drawer up to the brink.
Somehow to me , that's the best way to force people to think critically.

Here's what i am hinting at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLyvp0_00w

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Many/Most Christians are compelled to spread the word becasue they feel it's their duty as Christians.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
04-01-2012, 05:26 PM
My 82 year old StepBob is a "Gideon." The Gidiots have meetings to pray for people and strategize how to hand out Bibles. I think they also try to develop fundraisers to be able to buy more Bibles. They're actually more about just giving the Bible than they are forcing you to hear some evangelistic spiel...at least variety of Gidiots my StepBob is in. I noticed he gave one of his pocket New Testaments as a Christmas gift to one of those "pop-in" people who brought them a gift this year. I had to lol just a little inside.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-01-2012, 05:51 PM
One of the most irritating ironies is that atheists in Canada at least have been attempting to spread the good word or years via highway banners and banners on the sides of buses. But that's not what makes it ironic. What makes it so is that everytime they have attempted this the Christians come out saying that their rights are being infringed. They have protested government buildings in an effort to get their right to free speech upheld... By getting the atheists to take down their signs.
Meanwhile all over Canada there are Christian signs promoting god and letting everyone know they are doomed to hell without the church. Rey are still handing out bibles at some elementary schools and teaching ID in some too.
Isn't it funny how quick they are to stifle any talk that isn't about god all te while saying their rights are being trampled?

But anyways I'm against door to door as it would be annoying to most people this driving them from the idea. Pamphlets I am all about and would love to be involved in. Only for the reason of having more info out there telling people that you can be good without god. Or at least without going to church.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

I toss the hotel bibles in the trash, personally. Thats where that book belongs.

I did, however, borrow a copy of the Mormon bible when i was in a hotel last time. I have been wanting to read that crazy shit for sometime but not willing to spend a dime on it.

I think i heard it said that ole Dan Barker takes the Gideon bibles and puts them in the laundry shute. I could be wrong about that....

D
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
(05-01-2012 01:23 PM)Denicio Wrote:  I toss the hotel bibles in the trash, personally. Thats where that book belongs.

I did, however, borrow a copy of the Mormon bible when i was in a hotel last time. I have been wanting to read that crazy shit for sometime but not willing to spend a dime on it.

I think i heard it said that ole Dan Barker takes the Gideon bibles and puts them in the laundry shute. I could be wrong about that....

D

Eh... defacing someone's property is never okay. No matter what it is. If you truly have a problem with it, talk to the hotel, if not, ignore it.

The Gideons have paid money to print that Bible and the hotel has given them permission for it to be there. All you're being is a petty criminal.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM

(05-01-2012 01:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 01:23 PM)Denicio Wrote:  I toss the hotel bibles in the trash, personally. Thats where that book belongs.

D

Eh... defacing someone's property is never okay. No matter what it is. If you truly have a problem with it, talk to the hotel, if not, ignore it.

The Gideons have paid money to print that Bible and the hotel has given them permission for it to be there. All you're being is a petty criminal.

Nah, its a violation of my privacy that i am simply fixing. Its my room while i am paying for it and i choose not to have any nonsene in my room. The Gideons are not 'due' some respect cuz they pay to have their book of myths in my room. If they dont like it, then they can quit putting them in rooms. Heck now ole KC is making me want to use them as Tolit paper now! HA! Those sheets are thin, i wonder how the book of acts will feel up against my sphincter....now i gotta try!

Why is it even acceptable for bibles to be in rooms? Where did society go wrong and allow this to happen?

I suppose i could just get a bunch of those Atheist Tracts and put them in those Gid bibles.

D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Again, you can't justify defacing someone's property. You don't "own" anything in that room, you are simply renting. You have zero right to destroy any property you are renting as it is not yours.

Like I said, if it's that much of an issue, speak to the hotel and have them remove the Bible. If that's too much of a hassle, ignore it.

They have the right to place a Bible in the room because the owners of the room said that they have a right to. That's their private property and they can do with it how they please.

Not really sure why you feel so entitled to destroy someone's property just because you don't agree with it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-01-2012, 01:55 PM

(05-01-2012 01:45 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Again, you can't justify defacing someone's property. You don't "own" anything in that room, you are simply renting. You have zero right to destroy any property you are renting as it is not yours.

Like I said, if it's that much of an issue, speak to the hotel and have them remove the Bible. If that's too much of a hassle, ignore it.

They have the right to place a Bible in the room because the owners of the room said that they have a right to. That's their private property and they can do with it how they please.

Not really sure why you feel so entitled to destroy someone's property just because you don't agree with it.

SO..if i took the book home with me, was lead to the lord and lived a GIGANTIC life for christ......the act of 'stealing' that private property...is that OK?
The Gidz i have spoken with leave those books to be taken, which means they are giving up the rights of ownership. They are hoping some lost atheist like myself finds one warm and fuzzy verse that leads me to a life for baby jesus.

D