Quote:The Guiding Law challenges me to:
Be honest and trustworthy
Use my resources wisely
Respect myself and others
Recognize and use my talents and abilities
Protect our common environment
Live with courage and strength
Share in the sisterhood of Guiding.
I used to be a Girl Guide as a wee lass. (typically age 9-11yrs). I loved it! I learnt so much and made a few good friends. My mom was a leader of our unit (aka troop for the boys). She was so proud of it too. I gained a lot of confidence, positive attitude and encouragement as well as skill development and accountability through this organization.

I enrolled my 9yr/o this year. She loves it too. I didn't know what to expect, but it is a bit different than when I was younger. In a couple weeks they are going to a museum where they will sleep (as a camp adventure) with dinosaur bones and learn all about *gasp* palaeontology and the science likes. She is so pumped.

So, she had to memorize the guide promise as part of the group allegiance.

Quote:Promise (current)[edit]
I promise to do my best,
To be true to myself, my beliefs, and Canada.
I will take action for a better world
And respect the Guiding Law.
We were at my mother's today. I suggested my daughter show my mother what she has worked on. My daughter held up three fingers (as an act of 'salut' but different, with her hand over her heart) and she recited the above.

When she was done, my normally jubilant mom just kinda stared. Then she collected herself and said good job to my daughter. The look on her face (that she was trying to mask, I believe) was a bit of disgust. I wasn't sure what was going on until I remembered the old promise was a bit different. I looked this up just now.

(according to wikipedia)
Quote:Promise (1994-2010)
I promise to do my best,
To be true to myself, my God/faith* and Canada;
I will help others,
And accept the Guiding Law.
*The word God or the word faith is chosen according to each girl's own personal convictions.
Promise (pre-1994)
I promise, on my honour, to do my best:
To do my duty to God, the Queen, and my country,
To help other people at all times,
And to obey the Guide Law.

Though I don't take kindly to my mother being miffed or upset, I am silently rejoicing in the step toward freedom for young and impressionable girls.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
18-10-2013, 04:32 AM
RE: Girl Guides of Canada.
Just proof Canada rocks Smile seems the most like Australia
Brothers from a royal mother.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
18-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Well in all fairness we are talking about Canada here.
This shit would never fly in the US.

Bloody good though, yet more proof you don't need God to have a good organization such as Girl Guides doing it's thing in society.

Quickly looked it up. Australia just changed theirs to remove the word God and Queen this year. And the UK no longer says God, but it doesn't say if they ever did to begin with.
No surprise the US still does. But so does Singapore and Hong Kong.

Just looked up the Kiwi one: I promise, with the help of my God, to be true to myself, to do my best to help my country and to live by the Guide Law.
Yuck, isn't that shit embarrassing. I'm gonna send them an email.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
18-10-2013, 05:00 AM
I haven't popped a kiwi joke since I discovered "ray comfort" figured they have suffered enough Smile

Though Ray Comfort may well drive more people to Atheism than 1000 years of institutionalized child molestation.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
18-10-2013, 11:51 AM
I always assumed all girl guides did was sell cookies on street corners and in front of grocery stores. I always felt a little annoyed at seeing the little girls being used to sell product.

I feel the same way about the air cadets. These little kids don't want to peddle wares. I always felt like the admissions fee should adequately cover the costs of the activities.

But hey of the kids are having fun somewhere in there amongst the sales pitch then all the power to them.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Teaching people resourcefulness, regardless of sex or even age, I feel is a worthwhile endeavor. I would much prefer to do this without regard to a person's God, religion, country, monarch, etc. Kudos, I guess. I do understand your mother's concerns (if I understood your post correctly), and I would be careful that my child wasn't being brainwashed, especially when the organization has attempted to do so in the past.

18-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Re: Girl Guides of Canada.
The girl scouts of usa have two little pledge phrases, one is good and fine but the other is a God and country nonsense line.

Overall, the organization is good as it aids girls in a lot if educational and social outreaches. Plus they aren't run by manipulative homophobes like the boyscouts..

Yes, and cookies be good.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-10-2013, 02:47 PM
I guess it says something about my subconscience that I read this topic's title and thought of something completely different.

RE: 3rd generation reciting something so nice for her grandmother: *pow* Right in the feels!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
18-10-2013, 07:11 PM
(18-10-2013 11:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I always assumed all girl guides did was sell cookies on street corners and in front of grocery stores. I always felt a little annoyed at seeing the little girls being used to sell product.

I feel the same way about the air cadets. These little kids don't want to peddle wares. I always felt like the admissions fee should adequately cover the costs of the activities.

But hey of the kids are having fun somewhere in there amongst the sales pitch then all the power to them.

Peddling goods? Laughat Gezz dude, they're not some dodgy guy trying to sell you wrist watches from his trench coat.

They sell cookies to keep fees and stuff down so that anyone, even girls from poor households, can join.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.