Girls night out - social anxiety hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2017, 11:40 PM
RE: Girls night out - social anxiety hell
(15-03-2017 04:10 PM)kim Wrote:  So, Ukatheist ... how did it all go on Ladies' Night? Was it better than you thought it might be or was it a total drag? Shy

That only happens in Australia Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-03-2017, 03:00 PM
(15-03-2017 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 04:10 PM)kim Wrote:  So, Ukatheist ... how did it all go on Ladies' Night? Was it better than you thought it might be or was it a total drag? Shy

Now - that would be a fun ladies night out!!! Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
17-03-2017, 05:19 PM
(15-03-2017 11:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 04:10 PM)kim Wrote:  So, Ukatheist ... how did it all go on Ladies' Night? Was it better than you thought it might be or was it a total drag?

Hey... I represent that altitude! Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
18-03-2017, 10:06 AM
It was.......ok. Managed just under 4 hours (although the last hour or so was spent calculating when I could excuse myself without appearing rude).

Can't say I really enjoyed it, but also didn't want to throw myself into a river afterwards. Not drinking meant that I could escape, but being the only sober one (and trust me, those girls can draaaaaaank) wasn't much fun.

They all agreed not to spend the evening talking about the kids/football, so that was one of my main talking points gone straight away Undecided Did use a lot of the other tips here though - they helped a lot!

I think I'll be approaching the next one with a little less trepidation (albeit still not quite at the stage of actually looking forward to it) although one of the ladies offered me her spare room for the night next time so I can taxi share....whole new can of anxiety worms right there!

On the bright side, the fact that I'm being included in future plans must mean I wasn't too weird, right?
[+] 3 users Like ukatheist's post
18-03-2017, 10:31 AM
(18-03-2017 10:06 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  ---
On the bright side, the fact that I'm being included in future plans must mean I wasn't too weird, right?

Thumbsup Sweet.
You disproved weirdness.
You disproved human spontaneous combustion.
You disproved (so far) that this was an anomaly that will never happen again.

Scientific Approach, for the win! Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
18-03-2017, 11:45 AM
(18-03-2017 10:06 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  
It was.......ok. Managed just under 4 hours (although the last hour or so was spent calculating when I could excuse myself without appearing rude).

Can't say I really enjoyed it, but also didn't want to throw myself into a river afterwards. Not drinking meant that I could escape, but being the only sober one (and trust me, those girls can draaaaaaank) wasn't much fun.

They all agreed not to spend the evening talking about the kids/football, so that was one of my main talking points gone straight away Undecided Did use a lot of the other tips here though - they helped a lot!

I think I'll be approaching the next one with a little less trepidation (albeit still not quite at the stage of actually looking forward to it) although one of the ladies offered me her spare room for the night next time so I can taxi share....whole new can of anxiety worms right there!

Sounds to me like you did spectacularly well! Four hours is a long time.

Maybe you'll never really get into the swing of being one of a large party, but if you can handle a few girls' nights, you'll get to know the personalities in the group. Maybe one or two of them could turn into closer friends.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
18-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Unless you are willing and able to never leave your home, there are times when interacting with a group is going to happen. It may be an school event for your child, or a sporting event. It could be a wedding or baby shower. It might just be a gathering at work. Becoming more comfortable when forced into a group social situation is a good thing. At least now you know you won't burst into flames as much as you may want to - secretly, of course.

Glad to hear that it wasn't awful.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-03-2017, 02:20 PM
(18-03-2017 10:06 AM)ukatheist Wrote:  

You aren't weird. Even if you think you are. You're totally cool and it shows.

I'm pretty fucking weird. But I embrace this fact.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post