Give me one good reason why the human race should continue

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
07-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
Recently during a lunch debate with friends from work about life, the universe and everything, I was asked if I would press the button that would destroy all of humanity and I answered honestly, yes, in a heartbeat. That answer of course shocked them, not so much that I answered yes, but that they realized I actually meant it and wasn't joking. I was asked how could it do such a thing, to which I answered, "Give me one good solid reason why the human race should continue." to which I got the usually platitudes about the sanctity of life, the spirit of man, and of course the innocent children. Each of the answers I received were sadly all to easy to refute.

So now, I am giving you skeptics and non-believers (and any true believers brave enough to play here) an opportunity to answer my question, why should the human race be allowed to continue? So imagine, my thumb is over the button and I have depressed to where its a hairs width away from making contact with the relay that will trigger the end of humanity, can you convince me not to do it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
well, easy, because we're the most intelligent species we know about, so as far as we know we're the only way of the universe to understand itself.

You surely say you'd kill everyone because we're bad for the planet and all that BS. Yeah sure, we're not all that nice, but neither life or the planet give a fuck about us, we won't (even if we could) destroy all life on earth, so if we fuck things too much we'll go extinct and life will get back on its feet in an earth-beat.
On the other hand, if we manage to grow up, we're the best chance for life (in every form) to spread to the universe, which would be the only way for earth life to escape the destruction our cute average star promises.

Now stop hating on humanity and do something productive for everyone or get out of the way

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 10 users Like nach_in's post
07-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Fuck em!

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
07-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Quote:can you convince me not to do it?

Provided that I have a gun with witch I can blow your brains out , convincing you with talking wouldn't be my first priority.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 12 users Like Slowminded's post
07-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Why?

Because this is my grandson
[Image: b1678094.jpg]

And he deserves as much as a go-of-it as you, me or anyone else.

And so does the little boy down the street, the overworked and unhappy woman on the subway, the child being born this very moment in China plus the nurse that watches over that babe, the blind grandmother in India, the brother in Iraq, the mountain climber, the beer brewer, the grandpa suffering from illness in Egypt, the Alzheimer patient in Turkey, the Olympic swimmer..... or the man in a wheelchair next door.

Everyone deserves their shot at life regardless of their station or purpose.....and no one gets to decide what value to put on that.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 18 users Like WitchSabrina's post
07-01-2014, 07:42 PM
None.

Just look at us and how we are drawn towards and spend our time watching illuminated screens until we die.

Fuck apes, we probably descend from moths!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
(07-01-2014 07:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
Quote:can you convince me not to do it?

Provided that I have a gun with witch I can blow your brains out , convincing you with talking wouldn't be my first priority.

Yeah, but that's a last resort, right?
I mean there are all sorts of ways to convince someone....
Like Spanish Inquisition-style Evil_monster
[Image: a368_Saw.jpg]
Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
07-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Because I need to see what happens next on The Walking Dead.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 8 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
07-01-2014, 07:52 PM
(07-01-2014 07:43 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 07:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Provided that I have a gun with witch I can blow your brains out , convincing you with talking wouldn't be my first priority.

Yeah, but that's a last resort, right?
I mean there are all sorts of ways to convince someone....
Like Spanish Inquisition-style Evil_monster
[Image: a368_Saw.jpg]
Tongue

Well, he obviously wants to die, he's just selfish enough to want everybody else to go with him as well.
Guess that's what happens when egomaniacs become suicidal.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
07-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Interesting question. I like Sabrina's answer. Are you asking about my view from a nihilistic standpoint, or from my humanistically empathetic standpoint?

What the fuck do I give about the earth and it's existence if I or my progeny aren't here to enjoy it?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post