Give me one good reason why the human race should continue

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
07-01-2014, 08:06 PM
RE: Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
(07-01-2014 07:31 PM)nach_in Wrote:  well, easy, because we're the most intelligent species we know about, so as far as we know we're the only way of the universe to understand itself.

You surely say you'd kill everyone because we're bad for the planet and all that BS. Yeah sure, we're not all that nice, but neither life or the planet give a fuck about us, we won't (even if we could) destroy all life on earth, so if we fuck things too much we'll go extinct and life will get back on its feet in an earth-beat.
On the other hand, if we manage to grow up, we're the best chance for life (in every form) to spread to the universe, which would be the only way for earth life to escape the destruction our cute average star promises.

Now stop hating on humanity and do something productive for everyone or get out of the way

I'd like to just position this with the act of killing the entire human race.... because killing is wrong.... but that's not a satisfactory answer so... lets just say for every five poor bumb you kill for being in the way you would kill a person who could solve a problem. also I'd like to add to quote my favorite shinigami... wouldn't that make you the only evil person left.... lastly I'd like to think we are redeemable.... not in a religious sort of way but as the only species that can do ultimate good.. no literally if you say cows can then I'll know you a re lying.

p.s. just throwing my hat in the ring plus some ideas.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 08:27 PM
(07-01-2014 08:06 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 07:31 PM)nach_in Wrote:  well, easy, because we're the most intelligent species we know about, so as far as we know we're the only way of the universe to understand itself.

You surely say you'd kill everyone because we're bad for the planet and all that BS. Yeah sure, we're not all that nice, but neither life or the planet give a fuck about us, we won't (even if we could) destroy all life on earth, so if we fuck things too much we'll go extinct and life will get back on its feet in an earth-beat.
On the other hand, if we manage to grow up, we're the best chance for life (in every form) to spread to the universe, which would be the only way for earth life to escape the destruction our cute average star promises.

Now stop hating on humanity and do something productive for everyone or get out of the way

I'd like to just position this with the act of killing the entire human race.... because killing is wrong.... but that's not a satisfactory answer so... lets just say for every five poor bumb you kill for being in the way you would kill a person who could solve a problem. also I'd like to add to quote my favorite shinigami... wouldn't that make you the only evil person left.... lastly I'd like to think we are redeemable.... not in a religious sort of way but as the only species that can do ultimate good.. no literally if you say cows can then I'll know you a re lying.

p.s. just throwing my hat in the ring plus some ideas.

I'm not sure what you meant Huh

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
07-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Why would you push the button "in a heartbeat"? What is it that makes you so confident that it would be the best decision? Can you be sure you haven't overlooked some glaring flaw in your logic?

Do you know which creatures rely on the existence of humans? Do you know which creatures would survive if humans were eliminated? How do you weigh the effects of your decision without knowing how it will affect life afterward? If you kill us now, who is going to stop that asteroid from hitting Earth and destroying even MORE life? Who is going to stop that blossoming alien race from going extinct when their super volcano errupts a few thousand years from now?

I don't think we know enough to make the decision to end it all.
[+] 3 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
07-01-2014, 08:36 PM
separate ideas

1. being that killing the human race is inherently evil
2. no matter all the bad humanity has done there are enough people to balance that out overly
3. killing humans means you to unless you are to be the last evil ever
4. lastly the humans are the only ones that can do ultimate god like deflect comits {noty right at this point} or bigger picture stuff. at all.

[+] 4 users Like kunoxian drive's post
07-01-2014, 08:37 PM
(07-01-2014 08:32 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Why would you push the button "in a heartbeat"? What is it that makes you so confident that it would be the best decision? Can you be sure you haven't overlooked some glaring flaw in your logic?

Do you know which creatures rely on the existence of humans? Do you know which creatures would survive if humans were eliminated? How do you weigh the effects of your decision without knowing how it will affect life afterward? If you kill us now, who is going to stop that asteroid from hitting Earth and destroying even MORE life? Who is going to stop that blossoming alien race from going extinct when their super volcano errupts a few thousand years from now?

Ah yes, we live in a very delicate ecosystem. It's hard to say how eliminating one species could hurt others. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
(07-01-2014 08:37 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(07-01-2014 08:32 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Why would you push the button "in a heartbeat"? What is it that makes you so confident that it would be the best decision? Can you be sure you haven't overlooked some glaring flaw in your logic?

Ah yes, we live in a very delicate ecosystem. It's hard to say how eliminating one species could hurt others. Yes

I think if we had to remove ourselves from the picture, it would be better to do it now. The longer we remain on top of the world, and the more influence we have over the planet, the better adapted the remaining animals will need to be... And the more species we will find intertwined with and relying on our own existence.
07-01-2014, 08:59 PM
(07-01-2014 07:19 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  Recently during a lunch debate with friends from work about life, the universe and everything, I was asked if I would press the button that would destroy all of humanity and I answered honestly, yes, in a heartbeat. That answer of course shocked them, not so much that I answered yes, but that they realized I actually meant it and wasn't joking. I was asked how could it do such a thing, to which I answered, "Give me one good solid reason why the human race should continue." to which I got the usually platitudes about the sanctity of life, the spirit of man, and of course the innocent children. Each of the answers I received were sadly all to easy to refute.

So now, I am giving you skeptics and non-believers (and any true believers brave enough to play here) an opportunity to answer my question, why should the human race be allowed to continue? So imagine, my thumb is over the button and I have depressed to where its a hairs width away from making contact with the relay that will trigger the end of humanity, can you convince me not to do it?

Based on this, I am guessing you subscribe to an antinatalist view of life and humanity.
I'm also betting that you are at least a slight narcissist.

At that point in your scenario, there is no convincing you. And I suspect there never will be.
You want a good reason why humanity should go on, but I bet you'll rationalise away every reason to preserve it. Just like the man who deems a race must die will rationalise why it must be so.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
07-01-2014, 09:14 PM
So we all die and nature takes over and evolves on without us like it has for so long until our sun dies, and then it dies. Or, you kill us and our beloved planet and... nothing. The pale blue dot, the speck- it's no longer here. No big deal in the grand scheme of the cosmos.

But if we stay: We are the universe looking at itself, knowing itself. We are the conscious in the seemingly unconscious universe. With all our treachery, our bad, we can still try to understand the bigger picture, and the more we try (it feels) the closer we get. It's worth knowing more. I want to know more.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
07-01-2014, 09:19 PM
(07-01-2014 09:14 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So we all die and nature takes over and evolves on without us like it has for so long until our sun dies, and then it dies. Or, you kill us and our beloved planet and... nothing. The pale blue dot, the speck- it's no longer here. No big deal in the grand scheme of the cosmos.

But if we stay: We are the universe looking at itself, knowing itself. We are the conscious in the seemingly unconscious universe. With all our treachery, our bad, we can still try to understand the bigger picture, and the more we try (it feels) the closer we get. It's worth knowing more. I want to know more.

So we all die and nature takes over and evolves on without us like it has for so long until our sun dies, and then it dies. Or, you kill us and our beloved planet and.. thus eventually leading the apes that will come after us to be asked the same question and so on and so forth till there are no animals left... the final species of sentien plant will be the last species thus ending all life as catus's know it. roflao. life must therefore be inherently evil.

07-01-2014, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2014 09:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Not gonna do any good, wiping this version out, just as it reaches the parabolic increase stage in it's knowledge. It would just start all over anyway, and hopefully not hand over power to a depressed nut, who has no scope of knowledge.

The Singularity is Near.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post