Give me one good reason why the human race should continue

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
08-01-2014, 08:03 AM
RE: Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
Because all life is pointless.
A couple billion years from now the sun will expand and Earth will be destroyed. Ultimately all knowledge that life existed on this planet will be lost. Stars will blow up, new solar systems will form which will probably have a planet that supports life but eventually that life will also die out, all knowledge of it's existence lost.
So why should humans be aloud to survive? Because we're the best. We won the evolutionary game. We beat out huge lizard beasts. We beat out giant killer cats. We, fragile mostly hairless apes, WON. Against all the odds.
We are the most intelligent thing in the entire universe as far as we know. We have the greatest potential to migrate to other planets. We have the greatest potential to out last the Earth. Hell, we could eventually potentially inhabit the entire know universe..
Where all other life forms have failed or would fail, we have/will succeed.

This gives us many advantages. ie: We know how to keep endangered species alive. Where entire species would die out, we have kept them alive (yea I know, we killed many species too, but we also created a few along the way ie: dogs, domestic cats, domestic live stock raised to do their desired job better, enhanced crops etc..).

20 billion years from now you could be half a known universe away looking out at a nature reserve as a giraffe walks on by.
20 billions years from now, if humans are killed and no other intelligent life takes our place, Earth and all it's living inhabitants will be ground up and reused to form a new solar system. No other life form in the universe would even know the giraffe existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Why don't you start by giving us a solid reason as to why the human race should not continue? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
08-01-2014, 08:35 AM
(07-01-2014 07:19 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  can you convince me not to do it?
Trust me convincing you would be least of my concerns and killing you would be like my No 1 priority because you have the fate of everything on earth at stake.

Though in all honesty i don't see a good reason for an intelligent(yet misguided) species to go extinct.

Yes we are bad but we can also do great things look how much progress we had in just 50 years! think about the wonders we'd do in next 1000 years.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 2 users Like IndianAtheist's post
08-01-2014, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 09:17 AM by Seldon.)
It is difficult to answer your question as you have not provided much background or reason for your position.

As Free Thought mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think that there is much of an argument that would convince you not to press your button. Your reasoning is a product of your own experience and for someone who would gladly make such a decision on behalf of everyone else, I don't think that you possess the kind of mind wants to or even can be reasoned with... Unless you are all talk that is :-P (I mean this of course as a bit of light-hearted banter!).

Assuming that you are coming from a nihilistic position my only argument would be that I (and I would wager the majority) do not wish to die and you shouldn't get to make that choice. If you are indeed a nihilist then chances are you fundamentally a materialist also. With that in mind, consider that your consciousness is most likely just the collaborative efforts of the countless particles that obligingly come together to form what is essentially 'you' and that you are simply one of around 7.2 billion other collective, self aware heaps of matter that currently make up the Earth's human populace. Therefore the existence of the human race after the deconstruction of your own body and end of your time as a conscious being should have absolutely no relevance to you.

Ergo, I would suggest to just kill yourself and let everyone else worry about their own fate (only in relation to this fictitious scenario of course) as ultimately, what does it matter to you?
[+] 3 users Like Seldon's post
08-01-2014, 11:01 AM
(07-01-2014 07:19 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  ... So imagine, my thumb is over the button and I have depressed to where its a hairs width away from making contact with the relay that will trigger the end of humanity, can you convince me not to do it?

I won't try. I will simply shoot you dead. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
One day down and some interesting comments. Lets see what else gets posted before I respond. It's been interesting to say the least and rather telling, especially the laymans psychological analysis and the number of people quick to jump to violence to solve an issue.
08-01-2014, 06:01 PM
(08-01-2014 05:12 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  One day down and some interesting comments. Lets see what else gets posted before I respond. It's been interesting to say the least and rather telling, especially the laymans psychological analysis and the number of people quick to jump to violence to solve an issue.

"Jump to violence to solve an issue"? That's pretty fucking disingenuous.

It is meeting a deadly threat with appropriate force.

It's about the same as shooting a rabid dog. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
08-01-2014, 06:12 PM
(08-01-2014 05:12 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  One day down and some interesting comments. Lets see what else gets posted before I respond. It's been interesting to say the least and rather telling, especially the laymans psychological analysis and the number of people quick to jump to violence to solve an issue.

I am so anxious to hear your response I need to have sex with a turtle to calm myself down.

[Image: 206haad.jpg]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 7 users Like Slowminded's post
08-01-2014, 06:18 PM
(08-01-2014 06:12 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

I am so anxious to hear your response I need to have sex with a turtle to calm myself down.

[Image: 206haad.jpg]

You've been holding on to that one just waiting for an opportunity haven't you? Laughat

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
08-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Re: RE: Give me one good reason why the human race should continue

After making this, checking up on how it's going post, there's likely going to be not many new responses now.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson