Give me one good reason why the human race should continue

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
RE: Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
(08-01-2014 06:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 06:12 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I am so anxious to hear your response I need to have sex with a turtle to calm myself down.

[Image: 206haad.jpg]

You've been holding on to that one just waiting for an opportunity haven't you? Laughat

Of course Big Grin

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
08-01-2014, 06:52 PM
That seems like something Yahweh would do. You don't really want to be like him do you?

[Image: banner580x90_zpse43f1abd.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Cobalt's post
08-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Well if you were going to push the button "in a heartbeat", shooting you would hardly be a violent solution. Removing the immediate danger is probably the best bet. If we decide afterward that the twitchy crazy guy was making the right decision, we can push the button still and you would have died anyway. If we decide against it, well then we're heroes for stopping the terrorist bent on destroying the human race. And you won't face torture in guantanimo. Win win
[+] 8 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
09-01-2014, 05:44 AM
(08-01-2014 06:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:12 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  One day down and some interesting comments. Lets see what else gets posted before I respond. It's been interesting to say the least and rather telling, especially the laymans psychological analysis and the number of people quick to jump to violence to solve an issue.

"Jump to violence to solve an issue"? That's pretty fucking disingenuous.

It is meeting a deadly threat with appropriate force.

It's about the same as shooting a rabid dog. Drinking Beverage

Totally agree. In the scenario you give, L.U. I would kill someone who had that ability without hesitation.

There are many fucked up humans on the Earth, but killing all to satisfy your dislike of a few is narcissism run wild.
[+] 3 users Like Juv's post
11-01-2014, 03:28 PM
First of all, the question is fatally flawed. You are treating every human in existence as some sort of collective organism. The Human race is just an aggregate of all the individual people living on the planet, each with his or her own rights and responsibilities and his or her own moral scorecard. What gives you the right to end all their lives because you don't want to live?

But in your hypothetical situation I wouldn't try to reason with someone who was totally irrational. I'd just try my best to kill your ass before you murdered every man, woman and child living.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
17-07-2014, 08:38 PM
(07-01-2014 07:19 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  Recently during a lunch debate with friends from work about life, the universe and everything, I was asked if I would press the button that would destroy all of humanity and I answered honestly, yes, in a heartbeat. That answer of course shocked them, not so much that I answered yes, but that they realized I actually meant it and wasn't joking. I was asked how could it do such a thing, to which I answered, "Give me one good solid reason why the human race should continue." to which I got the usually platitudes about the sanctity of life, the spirit of man, and of course the innocent children. Each of the answers I received were sadly all to easy to refute.

So now, I am giving you skeptics and non-believers (and any true believers brave enough to play here) an opportunity to answer my question, why should the human race be allowed to continue? So imagine, my thumb is over the button and I have depressed to where its a hairs width away from making contact with the relay that will trigger the end of humanity, can you convince me not to do it?

I find it unlikely that I could convince anyone against pushing the button, who holds such a negative view of humanity, but here goes.

The human species should be allowed to continue because its civilization is still in its infancy. Pressing the button now WILL stop any future wrongdoings by us, but will ALSO stop the chance for us to mature as a species, and right our wrongs.

The hope for humanity lies with those who would NOT push the button.

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
[+] 1 user Likes Hoops's post
17-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Because we have things to do...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
18-07-2014, 02:27 AM
(07-01-2014 07:19 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  Recently during a lunch debate with friends from work about life, the universe and everything, I was asked if I would press the button that would destroy all of humanity and I answered honestly, yes, in a heartbeat. That answer of course shocked them, not so much that I answered yes, but that they realized I actually meant it and wasn't joking. I was asked how could it do such a thing, to which I answered, "Give me one good solid reason why the human race should continue." to which I got the usually platitudes about the sanctity of life, the spirit of man, and of course the innocent children. Each of the answers I received were sadly all to easy to refute.

So now, I am giving you skeptics and non-believers (and any true believers brave enough to play here) an opportunity to answer my question, why should the human race be allowed to continue? So imagine, my thumb is over the button and I have depressed to where its a hairs width away from making contact with the relay that will trigger the end of humanity, can you convince me not to do it?

So, you're going to choose for all of us, really?

I'm sorry you feel that way.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
18-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Any judgement as to whether the human race should continue is still a human judgement made before the act. Because if you wipe out the human race then there won't be anyone left to judge whether the solar system is a better place afterwards or not. In the grand scheme of things whether the human race is wiped out or not is completely irrelevant to the rest of the universe.

For this reason alone, wiping out the human race is utterly pointless and arbitrary. Another reason is that eventually some other species would develop to fill the evolutionary niche left behind and you can't use your human judgement at this point in time to determine whether or not that unknown alternative species will be better than humanity. And if you could, then better for whom?

The question really should be, is it better for humans to have never existed in the first place? Is there more net suffering than joy? Neuroscience can probably answer this.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
18-07-2014, 04:28 PM
There is no good reason why you shouldn't just kill us all, but then what use does killing us all do? Clean up the world, make it all safe for the animals ladeladelah. To kill of the entire human species is a genocide and unnesecary suicide, killin the minds of so many. yes in general humans are useless fuck ups who normaly don't think about allot of crap aprt from how I look, what will I eat, who am I gonna fuck next. But then the few who'se minds are open and reason thoughts about life, the people unraveling the mysteries of the universe, the people trying to find an answer to life, if they can ever get the right question to ask, then they too would go boom. The planet is overpopulated with crisis of overconsumption and within the next 250yrs give or take the planet won't be able to take us anymore the way we're going. But then why murder nations, when instead the most simple of all solutions is to steralise the people with bad genes, there's no murder involved, to prevent the world from fucking up more, within a 100 years without a single murder with steralisation the world population will drop incredibly then knowledge will be more viable. Epignosis will have a chance of being gotten without distractions and savin the planet and animals in the process. No wonder condoms was such a major breakthrough in technology.