Give me one good reason why the human race should continue

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
23-07-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
I want to live. I want other people to live as well. Beyond that I can make no argument, when looking at the big picture, for or against human continuity. The universe simply doesn't care.
All the more reason for us to care I suppose.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2014, 11:57 AM
It wouldn't be very human-like to wish for our species to not continue.

Doesn't every species have just two major goals? Survive and multiply.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
24-07-2014, 12:49 PM
(24-07-2014 11:57 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Survive and multiply.

But... there's so much more to life than just... multiplication. Logarithms for one...

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-07-2014, 12:55 PM
If human dialogue and history is any guide - division is also just as common Wink

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
24-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Our new goal as a species: derivatives.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
24-07-2014, 04:48 PM
(24-07-2014 12:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-07-2014 11:57 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Survive and multiply.
Logarithms for one...

Tongue

Shocking

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
26-07-2014, 10:03 AM
(07-01-2014 07:19 PM)Lazarus Unchained Wrote:  why should the human race be allowed to continue? So imagine, my thumb is over the button and I have depressed to where its a hairs width away from making contact with the relay that will trigger the end of humanity, can you convince me not to do it?

Short answer: I am with Slowminded:

(07-01-2014 07:34 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
Quote:can you convince me not to do it?
Provided that I have a gun with witch I can blow your brains out , convincing you with talking wouldn't be my first priority.

Long answer: Since your question is really a philosophical one, your decision to press the button must be based on your view of humanity, which apparently is one of extreme dissatisfaction. This indicates two things: 1) you feel that humanity should be judged on some sort of moral or valuative criterion and 2) you apparently feel qualified to do so.

Personally I believe you're thinking is misguided, for many reasons, but here is what immediately stood out to me as I considered your question.
1) Rational humans do not judge other species on a moral or valuative criterion, and would not eliminate them for such a reason. Other species are here. There is no judgment necessary. Let them be.
2) Our species is here. No judgment is necessary. Let it be.

Rational humans would only eliminate another species because the entire species is a clear threat to our survival (verifiable to an extremely high degree of probability), and only if the threat could not be controlled in any other way. Because evolution has overwhelmingly programmed us to value our survival and the survival of our species, it would not be irrational to eliminate our species if we were a threat to ourselves or other species.

I am free to make individual judgments and decisions on how to interact with our species, or not interact, but I do not feel qualified to make any sweeping general judgment about it. Nor do I feel qualified to do so about rats. If they are in my house, I eliminate them because of the potential for disease. I feel no reason to exterminate the species. They are just doing what rats do.

My valuation (ha): Life is short, then you die. Have some fun in the meantime and quit focusing on the worthiness of yourself or others. If your fun includes ameliorating the suffering of others and making life more pleasurable for them, all the better. Get rid of the rats in your house, if you choose, but let the others be.
[+] 1 user Likes Aahmused's post
27-07-2014, 07:29 PM
I see too much pain and misery. A happy marriage is very rare. A happy family just as if not more rare. A truly happy person is not something I see too often.

Personally, most people would be better of not existing (imho).
27-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Give me one good reason why the human race should continue
I only have one good argument. If we stop now, we will have left the earth in worse condition then what we started off, but if we clean up our mess, we will have taken our responsibility for our wrongdoings.

I guess I am arguing as a collective humanity, and that is what I want to see continue.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2014, 10:24 AM
It's a very dubious question. Why should humans continue to exist. What sort of answer are you looking for? Human beings should exist because I am one of them, and there are a few other humans I rather like, and it would upset me very much to see them gone before their time and myself with them. You are making a value judgement, I think human beings are unworthy of life. I can only respond with an equal and opposite value judgement. Its a muddy debate where the only arguments possible are subjective ones. An objective reasons for why human beings should or should not live is not possible, barring a creator and all the rest (assumed here by most I think).

I rather hope you never get the chance to eradicate anyone.