Gives thanks to God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 07:43 PM by Imago.)
Gives thanks to God
I have had a Baptist penpal since I was 11. I have been an atheist for as long as she has known me and she knows this about me. She is a very nice person and I have never met her in person, so perhaps that is why I am still able to tolerate corresponding with her. However, this part of a Thanksgiving e-greeting card that she sent me got to me:

[Image: DaySpring_good_intentions_zps11426f76.png]

It is just impossible for her to send me a secular greeting. She just can't think anything other than in Christian mode. She can't relate. Most of the time I can just ignore the message or translate it into what it basically means, but that just can't be done with this.

I'm an atheist. Why the fuck would I give thanks to an imaginary being others agree to believe in!!!

I responded in an e-mail that most of the message in her e-card was lost on me because I'm an atheist. No further response.

I'm contemplating sending her e-cards that are just as out of touch with her as hers are with me. For instance, praise Allah bullshit or Happy Samhain. I doubt she would even get the point. It may be worth it, just to see what other reaction I can get. Will she ask me to stop. Will she be offended. Will she ask for clarification.

P.S. "Unfailing love" and "wonderful deeds" - that's an amazing statement. Constantly inventing diseases to plague us? Allowing the stoning of homosexual men? Allowing children to be sexually abused? What a father.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Imago's post
04-12-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: Gives thanks to God
(04-12-2014 07:36 PM)Imago Wrote:  She is a very nice person

I get why you're impatient with her, but if she is really your friend, and as nice as you say, ... me ... I'd cut her some slack. Just translate the card into care for you, in her own language. Don't take it so literally. Just my opinion.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-12-2014, 09:11 PM
I’m with Bucky on this one. She is who she is. If you are really going to do something then have a conversation, after all you guys are pen pals.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Write her a letter and explain, whats the worst that will happen? A "friend" stops writing because they really don't want to know how to be your friend?

sometimes we grow out of relationships.

sometimes we take a break from some people

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone.

It is self-evident that I do not need religion or God to be a moral, happy, productive human being.