Giving back what has been received.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Giving back what has been received.
I am not 100% certain this belongs here, so move it if you must.

My wife and I are still relatively new in town. We have met all the neighbors except the ones directly across the street. Everyone we have talked to about them say that they are nasty people. On occasion I see the old woman sitting out on her porch looking in the direction of our house. I have waved and received no response. I have seen her talking to people that come to help with chores, I am assuming they are the old peoples' grown kids. I was thinking about testing the old bag to see if maybe it is a case of the lights are one, but nobody is home. Such as next time I see her outside, waving one or both middle fingers in her direction to see if she reacts. We are on good terms with everyone, except the ones across the street. Even the younger ones that appear to be middle aged ignore us. I believe firmly in eye for an eye. Any ideas on how I can show them the same disrespect they have consistantly shown us? Also, should I attempt to get a reaction?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2012, 03:29 AM
RE: Giving back what has been received.
Well, I don't think this is philosophy related. Tongue

You should just go over and talk to the lady. If she is nasty then you will soon find out.

Although, if it turns out that she is a witch then you should throw holy water in her face.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
18-09-2012, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2012 04:13 AM by Logisch.)
Neighborly feud is a waste of time. Why would you want to incite reaction from someone? Drama, vandalism, violence, stupidity, people do really stupid stuff when they get pissed off at their neighbors. It sounds like you want respect from them, they aren't giving you the time of day, so you're upset and want to incite some sort of reaction back. Why bother? If you're on good terms with the rest of your neighbors, why waste time causing and flicking shit between the people across the street?

There's a lot better things you can waste your time on. (like... anything)

I've had some horrible experiences from neighbors who had tension with me. Over time, I've come to adopt a different attitude towards shitty neighbors. I just let them waste their energy on someone else. I've had my cars vandalized, my place vandalized and people have even attempted to break into my shit (this was in a different neighborhood than I'm in now). If I could have gone back in time, I'd have definitely opted to not incite a damn thing with them and just let them be stuck up and keep their nose up in the air.

In a different neighborhood now... I've got to know my neighbors quite well. Much like you, I do have some neighbors who won't give me the time of day, either because of my age or because of whatever else factors, who knows. But I've opted to just let them be douchebags. I've heard of feuds between them and other neighbors. All I can say is I've happily enjoyed my time being myself, rather than having to call the police at weird hours of the night due to vandalism, or having to deal with bullshit from them, or having to deal with yelling competitions at weird times of day. Instead, I can spend my time doing my own damn thing, enjoying my hobbies, etc.

Why someone feels the need to go head to head with a neighbor simply because they won't give them the time of day? I'll never understand that waste of energy. If people want to thumb their nose at me, let them, they can be jealous, stupid, quiet, whatever. I've got my own time and own things to do, and it isn't worth my time to waste the energy on inciting or demanding a reaction out of them. They can just continue to be themselves. My life wasn't any different without them back then, it isn't any different now, so why try and drag it in?

Some people seem to have a need for drama in their life. But in my short existence thus far on this big rock in space... I would much rather waste my time on other things, since drama seems to bring unnecessary frustrations that just clutter up my life, rather than assist it.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
18-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Just throw back what they give you.

"I believe firmly in eye for an eye."

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Mahatma Gandhi

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
18-09-2012, 04:15 AM
(18-09-2012 04:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Just throw back what they give you.

Which so far, is nothing Wink

Good quote by the way.
18-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Good points. I think I will just let them be douche bags. I will never even acknowledge that they exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
18-09-2012, 04:21 AM
(18-09-2012 04:15 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 04:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Just throw back what they give you.

Which so far, is nothing Wink

Good quote by the way.

Exactly. Yes

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
18-09-2012, 05:30 PM
(18-09-2012 03:26 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  My wife and I are still relatively new in town. We have met all the neighbors except the ones directly across the street.

You talk to your neighbors? [Image: eek.jpg]

In my neighborhood we don't even look at each other. Fights have started over less.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
18-09-2012, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 01:03 AM by depat.)
I don't know what your neighbors problems are, but their behavior may or may not be normal. Unless you are physically touched or approached by one of them, you can get over it. Why do you need recognition from these people?