Giving up politics and religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 03:15 AM
Forgive the irony of this thread.

I'm giving up discussing both politics and religion. It's simply not healthy for me. Even if I just read about anything online or watch a youtube video about it I am overcome with extreme frustration and madness. I hate hate hate these two things.

So gad I didn't end up studying religion, ethics and philosophy at uni, I'd be travelling to class in a suit of armour every day!

I have an issue with this in that if I ever have the need to defend myself or in conversation with friends later in life I won't be able to help myself from joining in, but if I haven't payed attention to these things in a long while I'll be embarrassed by them.

I can feel that nausea again. Fucking religion, fucking politics.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SunnyD1's post
05-06-2015, 03:50 AM
RE: Giving up politics and religion
I don't blame you to be honest. I joined this site as I wanted to learn more about religion and atheism in general. Now I find it hard to bite my tongue whenever religion rears its ugly head within general conversation. Not always a good thing to do when at the pub Tongue

Same with politics, my best friend is a Conservative supporter and his views on immigration and welfare make me breath fire at times, I've decided to avoid the topic for the sake of our freindship Laugh out load

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
05-06-2015, 04:03 AM
(05-06-2015 03:50 AM)LostLegend Wrote:  I don't blame you to be honest. I joined this site as I wanted to learn more about religion and atheism in general. Now I find it hard to bite my tongue whenever religion rears its ugly head within general conversation. Not always a good thing to do when at the pub Tongue

Same with politics, my best friend is a Conservative supporter and his views on immigration and welfare make me breath fire at times, I've decided to avoid the topic for the sake of our freindship Laugh out load

The pub is just not the place at all!! I've had to bite my tongue so any times with friends.

It seems to me too many people have one of either the 2 extreme views in politics nowadays and it's really hard to reason with them. No middle ground any more because if you are in the middle, the right wingers call you left wing and the left wingers call you right wing, or they just ignore your point completely.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
05-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Sadly subjects difficult to avoid because they impact our lives directly every day.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-06-2015, 08:41 AM
It's not that I won't talk about religion or politics. I just don't argue with stupid people.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
07-06-2015, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 09:23 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
I hear you. there's so many better things to fill your head with. I've thought about dropping the atheist forum and facebook pages. There's better things to fill my head with.

Plus talking about that kind of stuff only creates divides. We're all the universe, I try not to create divides by bringing up that kind of stuff. Is someone nice, that's good enough for me. No need to talk religion politics etc.

I strive to surround myself with like-minded people; nice people. Like ^ said, i too do not argue with stupid people

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
07-06-2015, 11:17 PM
My dad once told me that one should never discuss politics, religion, money and/or sex at the dinner table.

I was tempted to put this in the 'good advice' thread but I didn't because I think he was wrong.

Whenever I travel to a new country, these are the subjects that help elucidate very clearly the nature and culture of the society in which I find myself.

These are now my favourite subjects.

Having said that, this scenario is not the same as that opined in the OP. It's not the same as when in the pub with friends.

What to do in that situation? I dunno.

I'm with Muffs on this one ... No friends. So the problem does not arise.

Big Grin

07-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Quote:My dad once told me that one should never discuss politics, religion, money and/or sex at the dinner table.

I almost put my dad's advice in the 'good advice' thread too.
His was a little different, and I agree with it though.
"Never discuss politics, or religion at a bar."
These topics can get heated enough without adding alcohol.
Smile
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
07-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Bah. In Soviet Russia, politics and religion do not give up *you*.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-06-2015, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 09:19 AM by adey67.)
Politics and religion are both skanky whores