Glad of my current stance, but think about the past.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2012, 08:02 AM
I was raised in a christian home, and for about 30 years, I believed it completely. You can read my introduction story in the Introductions part of these forums. Anyway, now that I am no longer a christian, . . . I have to wonder how my past belief negatively affected my life today. I'm 44 years old. I got a degree in a study that was "safe" for a christian. But the other day, I was pondering what my life COULD have been like if I hadn't been scared away from the sciences? It makes no difference in the present. What is done is done. But I know that my lifeline was greatly affected by a religious belief that wasn't even true. Would I have gone into physics? Geology?

Does anyone else have similar thoughts? Those of you who were a christian in your younger days, wondering where your life would have taken you if you hadn't been influenced by an irrational fear?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Yes. Welcome to the club! Cool

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-11-2012, 12:23 AM
RE: Glad of my current stance, but think about the past.
Thankfully, I let go of my faith when I was 20, so there was (and still is) plenty of time to pursue things. But even back then, there were things I might have otherwise pursued if not for my faith. For one, I'd be married right now.

She was beautiful, funny, a little twisted Wink , and loved me for me. She had some shitty qualities (I do try to keep that in mind), but nowadays, I might have been able to accept that. We weren't just a boyfriend and a girlfriend. We were partners. She wasn't just a woman I loved; she was my buddy. The only one who understood me and vice-versa. But, over time, I came to the conclusion that she wasn't as good a christian as I thought she should be. In an extreme expression of my faith, I chose God over her, and dropped her from my life completely. I then moved on to a truly reprehensible individual, at which point my life took a plunge into the most horrific depths of despair - and it almost literally killed me.

I don't know what would be different if I hadn't been raised with faith, or if I would even have prefered the difference, but I do know that things would have been different.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Wow,. . . . that was quite the story. That's kind of where I was at, the other day. Wondering where my life would have been if I hadn't been so blindly indoctrinated through most of my life.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
23-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Look to the future and find what resolve you can to do what you wish within, dwelling on things past that were beyond your control is pointless and wastes time.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post