Glad to know there are others.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Glad to know there are others.
I was raised in christian schools by fundamentalist parents. I learned nothing of value and was at such a severe handicap, academically, that I needed to enlist in the Navy in order to be able to pay for school. During that time, there was great distance between myself and my upbringing. I discovered much about the world, and how it really worked.

I was angry.

My parents and teachers had lied to me for nearly two decades of my life. I basically had to re educate myself from scratch with regards to science. It was inexcusable and, at one point I thought, abusive. To cram that much superstition and nonsense into a helpless receptacle? It may not be criminal, maybe it never will be, but I certainly feel wronged.

My question now is, what now? What do I tell my mother, who suffers from chronic pain, and in her words "is sustained by her love of Jesus"? The mother of my kids wants them to go to an old school fundamentalist church.

I guess it's enough, for now, to know that I at least have a place to go to talk. If you feel like it, hit me up!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cryo's post
27-09-2012, 02:45 PM
RE: Glad to know there are others.
Howdy.

[Image: opforum1.png]
27-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Welcome to TTA!

And... yeah... tough situation.

I would just let sleeping dogs lie with your mother, but the issue with you and wife will need to be addressed. No simple solution to that.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
27-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Welcome aboard, enjoy your time here.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-09-2012, 02:50 PM
(27-09-2012 02:36 PM)Cryo Wrote:  My question now is, what now? What do I tell my mother, who suffers from chronic pain, and in her words "is sustained by her love of Jesus"? The mother of my kids wants them to go to an old school fundamentalist church.

Welcome Smile

Difficult questions. I hid my atheism from my parents for a long time. When I finally told them it was OK. They were upset but not angry or crazy like some people here can tell of.
27-09-2012, 07:46 PM
They're your kids too. Speak assertively about your wishes for your children's education. You can also argue that religion is not dead in US public schools. And, doesn't private school cost money? You can argue for a great vacation instead. For your mom, let her have her comforts. You have more to do with this than you think. Step up to the plate or tree, urinate on it and mark your boundaries. When I try that the urine runs down my leg. You certainly have a leg up on me.
[+] 2 users Like depat's post
27-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Welcome! Tons of support with people who have dealt with the same situations, there is some good advice here to go look for or start posting. Smile
28-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Yo.

If you want my opinion (warning: You probably don't want my opinion), I'd tell your mother that her son's an atheist.

What's that line in the bible? an eye for an eye?

But that's probably mean so.. up to you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
28-09-2012, 01:00 AM
(27-09-2012 02:36 PM)Cryo Wrote:  My question now is, what now? What do I tell my mother, who suffers from chronic pain, and in her words "is sustained by her love of Jesus"? The mother of my kids wants them to go to an old school fundamentalist church.

I'm with Kingsy. No need to hurt your mom, unnecessarily.
There is more than way to "tell" someone something. It doesn't have to be slam-bam, verbally thrown out there. You can just not talk about it, over a period of time, and say it's not something you like to talk about. It will sink in, eventually.

Couldn't presume to give advice on the kids.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

28-09-2012, 01:44 AM
The question your partner has to answer is... What does she want them to be when they grow up? Safe sheep or clever wolves?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post