Global Government

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Global Government
Conspiracy theories aside am I the only one here who would actually support a United World Government?
Why is there so much paranoia about it even from the non-religious?

Isn't it just the logical step of our species to unify before we start to colonize other worlds?

Wouldn't it be better for the resources of the world to be used in cooperation with each other for the betterment of all humanity?

Wouldn't it be better for democracy, human rights, and the rule of law to be established across the planet?

Or am I the only one who believes such things?

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Winterwolf00's post
07-10-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: Global Government
(07-10-2014 01:11 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Conspiracy theories aside am I the only one here who would actually support a United World Government?

Isn't it just the logical step of our species to unify before we start to colonize other worlds?

Wouldn't it be better for the resources of the world to be used in cooperation with each other for the betterment of all humanity?

Wouldn't it be better for democracy, human rights, and the rule of law to be established across the planet?

It all depends on the details. Are you talking a republic where former nation-states become provinces/states and mostly self govern or more of a stateless 1 world government type thing?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-10-2014, 01:18 PM
(07-10-2014 01:11 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Conspiracy theories aside am I the only one here who would actually support a United World Government?

I'm all for a world government, but it must be carefully constructed with checks and balances, distributed powers, term limits, and all kinds of other proven mechanisms against tyranny.

If we can't come up with that, then we need to muddle along.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
07-10-2014, 01:22 PM
I do not see where a single world government could adequately address all the local and regional differences. Big countries have a hard enough time, I do not see how a single world government would be any better.
07-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Under one world government everyone would lose their national identities and nationality will disappear. I used to think that this was a good idea but then I grew up and realized the value of nationalism. The republic (when not run by jackbooted totalitarian thugs) protects freedom for its citizens.

If world peace is to be achieved it will be on the basis of mutual respect for national integrity, not through the rape of national independence.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post
07-10-2014, 01:37 PM
(07-10-2014 01:26 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Under one world government everyone would lose their national identities and nationality will disappear. I used to think that this was a good idea but then I grew up and realized the value of nationalism. The republic (when not run by jackbooted totalitarian thugs) protects freedom for its citizens.

If world peace is to be achieved it will be on the basis of mutual respect for national integrity, not through the rape of national independence.

Baloney. If world peace is to be achieved it will be on the basis of respect for human rights.

Nationalism is just another false idol.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
(07-10-2014 01:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

It all depends on the details. Are you talking a republic where former nation-states become provinces/states and mostly self govern or more of a stateless 1 world government type thing?
Roughly the first one but I like the sound of 'Global Federation' more.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
07-10-2014, 01:53 PM
(07-10-2014 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:26 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Under one world government everyone would lose their national identities and nationality will disappear. I used to think that this was a good idea but then I grew up and realized the value of nationalism. The republic (when not run by jackbooted totalitarian thugs) protects freedom for its citizens.

Baloney. If world peace is to be achieved it will be on the basis of respect for human rights.

What human rights? The UN's human rights; which would make illegal the "defamation of religion" (sponsored by Moslem nations) and ban free speech in relation to racial issues?

Human rights ought to be protected by the national and republican constitution, not supranational bueracies.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
The way I see it, right now, there isn't very much in common for a world government that rules over everything.

A beneficial world government, in my eyes, would still let governments functions as we have it, but there would be an additional international level above it. This is where the rules are kept supremely basic and are very much enforced.

Basically, I imagine it being the UN but with actual enforcement for human rights. However, it's so weak now mainly because there are governments in the Security Council who abuse human rights, namely China, Russia, and partly the USA (USA I would say is less infringing). And countries typically don't act through the UN. Right now, the UN is merely a forum for countries with a few additional underfunded humanitarian functions.

Until we have a good majority of countries agreeing to basic human rights, a world government is not possible. This would require a big shift in values.
07-10-2014, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 02:13 PM by Kaepora Gaebora.)
(07-10-2014 01:53 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Baloney. If world peace is to be achieved it will be on the basis of respect for human rights.

What human rights? The UN's human rights; which would make illegal the "defamation of religion" (sponsored by Moslem nations) and ban free speech in relation to racial issues?

Human rights ought to be protected by the national and republican constitution, not supranational bueracies.

Eh, what? The Universal Declaration of Human Rights does not make illegal 'defamation of religion' nor any sort of free speech.

And why shouldn't human rights be protected by an international governing body?
[+] 6 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post