Global Government

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
RE: Global Government
(07-10-2014 01:53 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 01:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Baloney. If world peace is to be achieved it will be on the basis of respect for human rights.

Nationalism is just another false idol.

What human rights? The UN's human rights; which would make illegal the "defamation of religion" (sponsored by Moslem nations) and ban free speech in relation to racial issues?

Human rights ought to be protected by the national and republican constitution, not supranational bueracies.

Bureaucracies.

Why? Many nations are so diverse or arbitrarily constructed that they have no basis for nationalism.

And why is allegiance to a world nation not just as good?
Is it that you think enemies are needed?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
The principle is perfectly sound. There is an obvious need for global authority and organisations to deal with global issues, much as any current state on earth has its own division of powers between levels of government...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
07-10-2014, 02:16 PM
(07-10-2014 01:22 PM)wazzel Wrote:  I do not see where a single world national government could adequately address all the local and regional differences. Big countries provinces have a hard enough time, I do not see how a single world national government would be any better.

O rly?

Literally any possible administrative unit will contain disparities and be subject to flaws. There are wards in my city that complain about the "imbalance" in the city council. My part of the province complains about being neglected by the provincial government. Smaller provinces in my country resent their proportional lack of influence. And my country is the smallest, least important G7 member...

... this is my signature!
07-10-2014, 02:19 PM
By eliminating nationalism, we would also eliminate the 'us against them' mentality. This could go a long way toward world peace. More mixing of the races between these former nations could also take a big chunk out of racism.
07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
(07-10-2014 02:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  By eliminating nationalism, we would also eliminate the 'us against them' mentality. This could go a long way toward world peace. More mixing of the races between these former nations could also take a big chunk out of racism.

More likely the lack of respect for national integrity would cause a massive global war.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
(07-10-2014 02:34 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 02:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  By eliminating nationalism, we would also eliminate the 'us against them' mentality. This could go a long way toward world peace. More mixing of the races between these former nations could also take a big chunk out of racism.

More likely the lack of respect for national integrity would cause a massive global war.

Between who? With a world government, there are no nations to go to war.

And his statement was "By eliminating nationalism...", so there's that.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Unless you can somehow achieve parity in every part of human existence throughout the world you will always have conflict. Unless you can suppress the levels of intensity of human emotions, you will always have some level of human conflict. World peace is a concept that cannot be achieved with a simplistic idea of a world government.
07-10-2014, 05:30 PM
I am not sure how a world government would be practical or useful. The governments that exist today only have a mandate because of their historical precedence, or because of a shared cultural and ethnic identity. I don't think the human race is at a place where we can comfortably exist in universal homogeny. If a world government were to arise in our modern setting, it would either lack any real authority (not unlike our current UN), or it would be the product of military conquest and therefore tyrannical. I suppose in an ideal setting one unified authority could provide some advantages. I think the scale of our modern world is such that it becomes rather impossible to effectively govern on such a scale. I personally believe if anything we are going to move towards smaller and more decentralized governments in the future.
07-10-2014, 05:58 PM
It's a stupid idea.

Just look at the Ukraine situation. How would a world government stop that? Russia would still have an army and Ukraine would still have an army. Russia would still desire Ukrainian provinces and Ukraine would still desire to keep its borders intact. A war would still happen except instead of between two countries it would be between two states. You can't just solve an issue by changing its name.

Muslims will still hate Christians, Christians will still hate Muslims. Iran will still hate everyone. North Korea will still be crazy. The USA will still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Russia will still invade Ukraine. Belgium will still be a pointless country that just sits there and does nothing. Australians will still be a bunch of racist weirdo's. Africa will still get screwed over by their useless governments. NZ will still jump up and down waving the environmental flag despite the fact that we pollute our own rivers and such with dairy farm runoff on an unsustainable dangerous scale.

Nothing will change except a country like China or the US will gain a lot of political power over smaller nations.
07-10-2014, 06:02 PM
(07-10-2014 05:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's a stupid idea.

Just look at the Ukraine situation. How would a world government stop that? Russia would still have an army and Ukraine would still have an army. Russia would still desire Ukrainian provinces and Ukraine would still desire to keep its borders intact. A war would still happen except instead of between two countries it would be between two states. You can't just solve an issue by changing its name.

Muslims will still hate Christians, Christians will still hate Muslims. Iran will still hate everyone. North Korea will still be crazy. The USA will still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Russia will still invade Ukraine. Belgium will still be a pointless country that just sits there and does nothing. Australians will still be a bunch of racist weirdo's. Africa will still get screwed over by their useless governments. NZ will still jump up and down waving the environmental flag despite the fact that we pollute our own rivers and such with dairy farm runoff on an unsustainable dangerous scale.

Nothing will change except a country like China or the US will gain a lot of political power over smaller nations.

There wouldn't be a fucking Russian Army.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post