Global Government

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 08:48 AM
RE: Global Government
(08-10-2014 06:33 AM)wazzel Wrote:  While true, my opinion is that the larger the area being governed the bigger the disconnect. Here in the US I would prefer more stuff to be pushed down to the states. I think it would be better, as long as the federal government kept them on a common level.

Yes, governance should be tiered from local to global.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 08:52 AM
(07-10-2014 06:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 06:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  There wouldn't be a fucking Russian Army.

Oh, so you just expect Russia or the US or China or, and here's a laugh, North Korea etc.. etc.. to just disband their armies?
They're never going to do that because it would leave them wide open to abuse from someone else with an army, ie: the global government.

Besides, a state doesn't need to form an army to form an army (if that makes sense). ie: Rebel armies.

Chinese citizens can't even get the Chinese government to let them pick their candidates for just their city (Hong Kong) and you expect someone to come along and basically tell the Chinese government a) You have to disband your army and b) We're going to rule over you now.
lolwut?

Another common reaction I get. Strawmen.
I never said that the world as it is now is ready for a World Government, I believe that the foundations for such should slowly be set up first.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2014, 08:55 AM
(07-10-2014 08:21 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  It's certainly desirable, but Muffs does make a good point in that you'd really have to get every single nation on board with the idea of a global government in order to make it work. It's tough to imagine that some countries would be willing to go along with it.

Not necessarily ALL of them, just the powerful ones mainly.

I wouldn't have an issue with a global army occupying and liberating by force the last few despotic nations.

That's why I think we should work to undermine China's authoritarian government and support democratic movements in all nations of power and influence.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
08-10-2014, 08:58 AM
(08-10-2014 06:33 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 02:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  O rly?

Literally any possible administrative unit will contain disparities and be subject to flaws. There are wards in my city that complain about the "imbalance" in the city council. My part of the province complains about being neglected by the provincial government. Smaller provinces in my country resent their proportional lack of influence. And my country is the smallest, least important G7 member...

While true, my opinion is that the larger the area being governed the bigger the disconnect. Here in the US I would prefer more stuff to be pushed down to the states. I think it would be better, as long as the federal government kept them on a common level.
Granted but I also think that modern communications and transportation technology would make a global nation not quite so distant from its citizens.
The Roman and British Empires didn't have planes, trains, radio, the internet, or Skype. Just for example.

Granted that the British DID have trains at some point so that applies more to the Romans.

― Gordon R. Dickson
08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
(08-10-2014 06:33 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 02:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  O rly?

Literally any possible administrative unit will contain disparities and be subject to flaws. There are wards in my city that complain about the "imbalance" in the city council. My part of the province complains about being neglected by the provincial government. Smaller provinces in my country resent their proportional lack of influence. And my country is the smallest, least important G7 member...

While true, my opinion is that the larger the area being governed the bigger the disconnect. Here in the US I would prefer more stuff to be pushed down to the states. I think it would be better, as long as the federal government kept them on a common level.

Yes, but it's also trivially true that there are issues which can only be dealt with at a global level.

There is no single correct answer to the problem of assigning competencies to tiers of government.

... this is my signature!
08-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(08-10-2014 08:55 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 08:21 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  It's certainly desirable, but Muffs does make a good point in that you'd really have to get every single nation on board with the idea of a global government in order to make it work. It's tough to imagine that some countries would be willing to go along with it.

Not necessarily ALL of them, just the powerful ones mainly.

So what's the difference between your idea of global governance and the UN that we have now?

Also, if it's just powerful states that are involved, how is that "global" and not some kind of oligarchy?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
08-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Im my view its either option...

1: Humanity wipes it self out.
2: A boot stamping on a human face... forever (1984)

Confused

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
09-10-2014, 02:26 PM
(08-10-2014 05:09 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 08:55 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Not necessarily ALL of them, just the powerful ones mainly.

So what's the difference between your idea of global governance and the UN that we have now?

Also, if it's just powerful states that are involved, how is that "global" and not some kind of oligarchy?

1. The ability to enforce human rights globally.
2. It's not just them, they're just the ones to focus on at first.
If all the UNSC nations were democratic then any interventions to liberate despotic nations will be considered legitimate.
For the moment though we should just work to reform nations from the inside, supporting the Democracy movement in China for example.

― Gordon R. Dickson
09-10-2014, 02:30 PM
(08-10-2014 06:50 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im my view its either option...

Confused

3rd option we take the Star Trek or Mass Effect route and organize into a democratic, global, and eventually stellar government.

― Gordon R. Dickson
09-10-2014, 08:51 PM
(09-10-2014 02:30 PM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 06:50 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im my view its either option...

Confused

3rd option we take the Star Trek or Mass Effect route and organize into a democratic, global, and eventually stellar government.

3rd option is obviously only possible in a magical fairy land with rainbows and lambs and little jolly irishmen and flying purple hippos that go around singing Barry White.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post