Global Warming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 11:55 PM
RE: Global Warming
Man made or not, the changes we would theoretically have to make in order to stop or slow global warming are good ideas for other reasons as well.

That said, the earth has previously been much warmer than it is right now. Regardless of the cause of change, we will adapt (or die so something else can take our place). Such is life Smile If the ice melts and it gets really hot, Antarctica will be covered with lush forests. If we survive, we'll colonize it and put in parks and Chinese restaurants and everything, and it will be a pretty cool place to visit.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/201...urs-1.html

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2013, 08:27 AM
We might survive, but if I think current estimates are that for every degree of temperature rise the world loses 10% of its food production capacity. We'll probably adapt but the herd may be thinned along the way.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-02-2013, 08:39 AM
(12-02-2013 08:27 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  the herd may be thinned along the way.
That's kinda what some of the deniers are hoping for. Or at least wouldn't particularly mind. 'Cause they won't be the ones to go when food gets even scarcer.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
12-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Agricultural capacity might be damaged, but the growth of natural vegetation would thrive if prehistory is a a suitable reference for predictions. Oh and bugs will get really, really big. We can eat them too.

'Murican Canadian
13-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Which rote answer do you want:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food.htm
or
http://www.skepticalscience.com/Can-anim...arming.htm
?
The bigness or otherwise of bugs seems more likely to be tied to oxygen levels than temperature.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-02-2013, 11:45 PM
It amazes me to see groups of people on here who trust so much of their total overview of life itself to science, yet they reject a broad consensus in science and the overwhelming data now at hand. I may be starting something I don't particularly want to get into, but why is it that those of you have such a hard time accepting the consensus of AGW? I am just curious as to your motives so please don't hate me.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
14-02-2013, 12:49 AM
(04-02-2013 03:21 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "What is wrng with this?"

The polar ice caps have an enormous amount to do with the weather on this planet. If the ice were to melt, weather in other parts of the world would be seriously affected. So much so that the places where food is grown would probably no longer support agriculture.

Everything has a consequence. Sometimes the consequence is good, sometimes it's neutral and sometimes it's catastrophic. Your scenario would produce the latter.
The one thing that everyone seems to not understand is that the earth has only had ice caps for about 20% of its existence. Yes, We have had ice caps the whole time people were here but ice caps are not the norm for this planet. If you actually averages the global temperature for the entire 4.5 billion years the earth has been here the poles would probably come in around 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 Celsius). As the earth gets warmer CO2 levels go up and plant life gets bigger due to having more CO2 available. Eventually the polar ice caps melt freeing up massive amounts of land at the poles where giant fern type plants start growing and the extra plant life turns more CO2 into O2. As O2 levels rise plants get smaller, animals get bigger, the earth cools, ice caps form the earth slides into an ice age etc. Its a big cycle that has happened a whole bunch of times. Yes, I believe mankind is having an effect on the environment and if the polar caps melt and sea levels rise we'll lose a boatload of ocean front property but really, who didn't already know that was going to happen some day anyways? Its not like no one noticed we we're still coming out of the last ice age...
14-02-2013, 06:00 AM
Personally, I am skeptical about humanity's role in global warming. That being said, just like the fact that I am moral without believing in God, I respect the environment without belief is the global warming scare stories. I still recycle and don't drive where I can walk. To me, there is no excuse not to take steps like these.
There are plenty of other reasons to want to protect the environment even if the things said about global warming turn out not to be true. A good example is the fact that the life expectancy of a China city traffic cop is 43 because of the constant exposer to fumes. I think it is bad that we are so hung up on global warming when there are plenty of other solid reasons to promote protection of the environment.
[+] 1 user Likes Jacob Zentichko's post
14-02-2013, 06:25 AM
(10-02-2013 04:24 PM)smidgen Wrote:  And if so our ancestors with evolve and adapt like they have been doing from day one.
I think these things are going to happen anyway just like they have been since day one.
Also, our ancestors? I'm afraid, seeing as they're kinda dead, they're not gonna be evolving any time soon. Or ever. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-02-2013, 01:15 PM
(13-02-2013 11:45 PM)HDT Wrote:  It amazes me to see groups of people on here who trust so much of their total overview of life itself to science, yet they reject a broad consensus in science and the overwhelming data now at hand. I may be starting something I don't particularly want to get into, but why is it that those of you have such a hard time accepting the consensus of AGW? I am just curious as to your motives so please don't hate me.
Science is a way of thinking, and the most critical component in this way of thinking is skepticism. In order to be a good scientist, you have to be able to look at a theory and, no matter how accepted it might be, look for holes in it. I don't even consider the theory of gravity to be fact, just a theory that is good enough that it has not yet been shown to be flawed. By comparison, the term global warming hadn't even been introduced half a century ago. I'm not gonna say the theory is BS. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say there probably were human made components contributing to temperature rise. But science is not about making educated guesses, it's about probing ideas and doing everything you can to prove them wrong. If you can't, it is eventually accepted more or less as fact. Global warming is, in that regards, still in its infancy.

'Murican Canadian