Global Warming

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2013, 09:28 PM
RE: Global Warming
"Don't you people think you are overreacting a bit?"

I think so. But over reaction to a thing doesn't prove the thing isn't real. Climate change causes all sorts of weather anomalies and while it's good that you're enjoying what's happening in your back yard, the last two years of dry summers have cost me and a lot of other people in my area thousands of dollars in damage due to huge trees dying and dropping limbs on everything from houses to people... my wife being one of them. Not to mention, we lost all of those beautiful old trees that can not be replaced in even several generations.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2013, 09:28 PM
(24-02-2013 09:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 09:16 PM)Julius Wrote:  Oh Noes....the Climate is Changing! The world will end by flood and fire! Yeah....right!

Don't you people think you are overreacting a bit? I mean, I have really enjoyed the earth's warming in recent years. The climate has become warmer and more comfortable. The growing season is longer and so is the fishing season, as a result I spend less time doing yard work and more time on the water.

Personally, I am looking for a downside to Global Warming, but I just don't see it.

So, I guess like Global Warming and so you might call me a "Global Warming Advocate".

I suppose that storms of greater intensity, rising sea levels that will wipe out islands, coastal cities, and estuary habitats, the loss of glaciers endangering fresh water supplies of billions of people, and the extinction of many species aren't downsides?

Really?
Yeah...Really! Nature does what it will do and always has, and we should become used to that fact. Since civilization began, the earth has warmed and cooled many times and we've done just fine.

And your claims of environmental "gloom and doom" are a bit Hyperbolic don't ya' think?
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2013, 09:37 PM
(24-02-2013 09:28 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 09:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  I suppose that storms of greater intensity, rising sea levels that will wipe out islands, coastal cities, and estuary habitats, the loss of glaciers endangering fresh water supplies of billions of people, and the extinction of many species aren't downsides?

Really?
Yeah...Really! Nature does what it will do and always has, and we should become used to that fact. Since civilization began, the earth has warmed and cooled many times and we've done just fine.

And your claims of environmental "gloom and doom" are a bit Hyperbolic don't ya' think?
Not hyperbolic, look at the data.

And while nature varies, mankind is pumping millions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere every day.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-02-2013, 09:48 PM
(24-02-2013 09:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-02-2013 09:28 PM)Julius Wrote:  Yeah...Really! Nature does what it will do and always has, and we should become used to that fact. Since civilization began, the earth has warmed and cooled many times and we've done just fine.

Not hyperbolic, look at the data.

And while nature varies, mankind is pumping millions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere every day.
I see your data also includes "Ozone" data. BTW, whatever happened to the Big, Bad Ozone Hole that was going to burn the world?

Anyways, I've heard a lot of "planetary destruction" tales since I was a kid: Noah's Flood, Amageddon, Overpopulation, Nuclear Anihilation, Global Cooling, Manmade Pandemic, Ozone Hole, Global Warming, Meteor Strike...Yada, yada, yada. And I think it's all bull.

Still waiting for the earth to die and civilization to collapse.
24-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Carbon Tax's will save the day. Its ok, its not like you as an individual are having anything taxed its just going to be the largest polluters that will have to pay. These large polluters at a time of unprecedented global economic turmoil will just take these tax's on the chin and in no way will they increase their prices to offset this new expenditure.

Thats how we will solve the problem, by putting a pricetag on it.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
24-02-2013, 11:29 PM
"Thats how we will solve the problem, by putting a pricetag on it."

Right. But the BIGGEST polluter won't have to pay a penny in taxes.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
25-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Global Warming
The global warming sham believers need to study evolution. Evolution is full of changes. The issue of it being man made is a moot point considering that we are yet another species of living things on earth.

And the global warming sham believers need to accept that the most previous ice age did exist and it is still in the process of thawing out.
25-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Australia has acted. We have placed a price on carbon emissions. This has had no significant negative economic consequences to date, but has reduced emissions by 8% in the first quarter of operation[1]. Renewable power plants are now cheaper per MWh to build than fossil fuels[2]. It's simple. It works. It's cheaper than every alternative option. We set the price and let the market do its part. As confidence builds the price will change from a straight tax to an emissions trading scheme, and then as the schemes converge worldwide it will become internationally linked. This is how you save your grandchildren from living on a planet intent on killing them.

The impact next year or ten years from now will still be relatively minor. The impact 100 years from now or 200 will be highly damaging to our society. We are the generation that must solve this problem.

[1] http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-11/ca...op/4512782
[2] http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/renewabl...alia-62268

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-02-2013, 01:21 PM
The climate of Earth has indeed always changed. But it should also be noted that in basically every single major shift in climates on the face of the planet, life has played a major role in changing it.

Humans are impacting it now. That is not good for us as a species. Change is good, but sudden and drastic change that occurs so rapidly that adaptation is not possible is bad, very bad.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Global Warming
(25-02-2013 01:21 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The climate of Earth has indeed always changed. But it should also be noted that in basically every single major shift in climates on the face of the planet, life has played a major role in changing it.

Humans are impacting it now. That is not good for us as a species. Change is good, but sudden and drastic change that occurs so rapidly that adaptation is not possible is bad, very bad.

Don't all living things affect their environment? In some cases living things affect their environment in a way that harms populations of other species. This has been going on for quite some time.