Global Warming and Alternative Medicine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 11:17 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
Global Warming and Alternative Medicine
I joined a bellringing club recently and there is a guy there who is always going on about global warming all the time, literally every week he talks about how we are all totally fucked because we keep ruining the planet and now the weather is all fucked up and his crops haven't grown properly for years (funnily enough he is the only ringer who is a proper practicing christian who actually attends church services and stuff), and a couple of weeks ago one of the other ringers, who is a sort of hippie type who believes in "energy" and such said that global warming is a myth they made up to try and discredit people who sell homeapathic medicine.

Naturally it was polite English conversation in a little pub next to a church, so everyone sort of awkwardly had a drink and then changed the topic.

I wonder if anyone here has heard anything like this before or knows wtf the argument is supposed to be? I assume maybe because global warming deniers are often in the same idiotic circles as hippies selling grass to try cure cancer? Fuck knows. lol

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 11:15 AM
RE: Global Warming and Alternative Medicine
It's always nice to see new "reasons" the so called myth was made up for.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-01-2016, 12:38 PM
(15-01-2016 11:12 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I wonder if anyone here has heard anything like this before or knows wtf the argument is supposed to be? I assume maybe because global warming deniers are often in the same idiotic circles as hippies selling grass to try cure cancer? Fuck knows. lol

In the U.S. global warming deniers aren't as likely to be hippies who would take grass extract that has been diluted by 10^20, but are more likely to be right wingers many of which would cut the age of the earth by ~ 10^6. Either way, they are dealing with huge margins of error.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
15-01-2016, 12:42 PM
(15-01-2016 12:38 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 11:12 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I wonder if anyone here has heard anything like this before or knows wtf the argument is supposed to be? I assume maybe because global warming deniers are often in the same idiotic circles as hippies selling grass to try cure cancer? Fuck knows. lol

In the U.S. global warming deniers aren't as likely to be hippies who would take grass extract that has been diluted by 10^20, but are more likely to be right wingers many of which would cut the age of the earth by ~ 10^6. Either way, they are dealing with huge margins of error.

That's the same here too. The only people IRL I've heard denying global warming before have either been Mormons, Muslims, White Supremacists or other ultra right wing fuckwits. Hearing global warming denial from a hippie type woman was like "lolwut?"

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
16-01-2016, 05:38 AM
To me, AGW goes like this:
I sure would love to have a new Mustang. Nice update on a classic. Or a new Vette.

But there's this little problem: math. And science. You see, every experiment on the subject since the mid-1800s leads to one conclusion: CO2 retains heat. And we humans have been putting a lot of that stuff into the atmosphere, above and beyond all 'natural' processes. We've put more than 800 BILLION TONS of it into the atmosphere in just the last two decades (and removed some 250 billion tons of oxygen in the process).

Now I'd love to have that Mustang! But all that CO2 is changing things on this planet, to our detriment. Most people live along coastlines; many major cities and dense populations are vulnerable. And in watching the current war/water refugees from Syria, along with the plight of the economic refugees from Mexico, it occurs to me that we tend to have difficulty accepting refugees into our communities.

Even if you consider the science "not settled", you still have to ask: if it's even a possibility that this is the major issue that climatologists are saying it is, what it the truly 'conservative' course of action here? Is it to continue to extract as much money for ourselves as possible by continuing to ramp up oil/coal/gas production and consumption? Is it for everyone to say "yeah I'll take that Mustang just because it's what I want"??

Or is the truly 'conservative' choice to make every effort to reduce greenhouse gas output, until/unless science finds out that this is not the problem we think it is??

Going back to the top, the science and math are easy. You yourself can do the CO2 heat retention experiment in your garage or backyard, and the 'fossil' fuel consumption of the world is a known quantity. A simple molecular weight computation yields the above numbers.
16-01-2016, 06:12 AM
(15-01-2016 11:12 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I joined a bellringing club recently
I wonder if anyone here has heard anything like this before or knows wtf the argument is supposed to be?

It does seem like bizarre behaviour.

I can't think of any argument in favour of it.

Tongue

16-01-2016, 06:30 AM
(15-01-2016 11:12 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  ...who is a sort of hippie type who believes in "energy" and such said that global warming is a myth they made up to try and discredit people who sell homeapathic medicine.

Homeopathy debunks itself.

Ask him how the water doesn't also retain the memory of the plastic of the bottle it's in, let alone the piss and shit it's come into contact with, and what kind of effects you can expect from it? Also if homeopathy gets strong the more the 'active ingredient' is watered down then the most powerful homeopathic effect is, logically of course, not using it all all. Abstinence is the key to the strongest homeopathic effect of all. Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
16-01-2016, 09:49 AM
(16-01-2016 06:30 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 11:12 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  ...who is a sort of hippie type who believes in "energy" and such said that global warming is a myth they made up to try and discredit people who sell homeapathic medicine.

Homeopathy debunks itself.

Ask him how the water doesn't also retain the memory of the plastic of the bottle it's in, let alone the piss and shit it's come into contact with, and what kind of effects you can expect from it? Also if homeopathy gets strong the more the 'active ingredient' is watered down then the most powerful homeopathic effect is, logically of course, not using it all all. Abstinence is the key to the strongest homeopathic effect of all. Rolleyes
Homeopathy kinda predates science, so it has an excuse.

That said, commercially interested medical 'science' sells us drugs that have intended effects and side effects, and sells them to us as 'health'. They are not. Lemme ask: is it possible that the reason my cousin has ongoing stomach trouble is because he is missing his natural allotment of Nexium? OF COURSE NOT.

Drugs are not health. They are the antithesis of health, though they can be useful for temporary symptom relief. Health is whole; it is how we think, what we ingest, how we treat our bodies, etc.
16-01-2016, 09:57 AM
I wasn't even sure what homeopathy was until a year or so ago. I had heard of it and heard that it's nonsense, but I never imagined it would be as ridiculous as what it actually is.

This video gives a pretty good explanation.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
16-01-2016, 10:06 AM
(16-01-2016 09:49 AM)coyote Wrote:  Homeopathy kinda predates science, so it has an excuse.

*had

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post