Global Warming and Alternative Medicine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: Global Warming and Alternative Medicine
(15-01-2016 11:12 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  said that global warming is a myth they made up to try and discredit people who sell homeapathic medicine.

Other than its effectiveness at pure surreal bafflement I can't begin to guess at this one. It's like trying to follow a train of thought that has four engines, all pulling at right angles to one another, boxcars in Brisbane, Calcutta, Detroit, 1382 BC, Lima and Nairobi with the caboose orbitting Neptune.

Kindly ask your hippy bellringer friend to expound for the gratification and entertainment of the rest of us.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2016, 05:59 PM
(16-01-2016 09:49 AM)coyote Wrote:  That said, commercially interested medical 'science' sells us drugs that have intended effects and side effects, and sells them to us as 'health'. They are not. Lemme ask: is it possible that the reason my cousin has ongoing stomach trouble is because he is missing his natural allotment of Nexium? OF COURSE NOT.

Drugs are not health. They are the antithesis of health, though they can be useful for temporary symptom relief. Health is whole; it is how we think, what we ingest, how we treat our bodies, etc.

Drugs are not the antithesis of health. They are one possible therapy that may help promote health if used correctly.

My seizures are not caused by a deficiency in clonazepam but taking a very small dose of it daily completely alleviates all symptoms. Failure to take it or some similar chemical leads to a significant decline in my health that all the nutrition, exercise and positive thinking cannot even make a dent in.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
16-01-2016, 06:53 PM
(16-01-2016 09:49 AM)coyote Wrote:  Drugs are not health. They are the antithesis of health, though they can be useful for temporary symptom relief. Health is whole; it is how we think, what we ingest, how we treat our bodies, etc.

Tell it to the millions of people alive today who didn't die of a bacterial infection or smallpox because they had access to antibiotics or vaccines.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
16-01-2016, 07:16 PM
(16-01-2016 09:49 AM)coyote Wrote:  Homeopathy kinda predates science, so it has an excuse.

No, it doesn't. It dates from the 1800's.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Paleophyte and Popeye's Pappy are absolutely right. I belong to a group of people who are alive today because we shoot ourselves with insulin everyday. I am also alive because of a number of anti-biotic cocktails that were shot into me, IV, for 8 days in an intensive care ward. Like Paleophyte, my son takes drugs that control his seizures. There are a lot of people on this earth who are alive and kicking because of pharmaceuticals. And then there are the diseases you missed out on because of vaccines.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
16-01-2016, 09:00 PM
(16-01-2016 07:16 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Paleophyte and Popeye's Pappy are absolutely right. I belong to a group of people who are alive today because we shoot ourselves with insulin everyday. I am also alive because of a number of anti-biotic cocktails that were shot into me, IV, for 8 days in an intensive care ward. Like Paleophyte, my son takes drugs that control his seizures. There are a lot of people on this earth who are alive and kicking because of pharmaceuticals. And then there are the diseases you missed out on because of vaccines.
Insulin is not a 'drug'. It is a hormone.
But go back to what I said, and re-read it. Drugs can indeed help manage symptoms! Your son has seizures. He takes drugs that control the seizures. Yet he still has some seizures at lower intensity, right? And he still has the underlying condition, right? The condition didn't go away entirely by him taking the drug, right? In order to control the symptoms, he must continue to take the drugs, right? If he stops taking the drug, the symptoms return, right??

TEMPORARY SYMPTOM RELIEF.
Exactly what I said.

And we all know most drugs have undesirable effects (carrying the oddly benign title 'side' effects). As but one of literally thousands of examples, Chantix will help you reduce your smoking habit.... and one way it might accomplish that is by inducing you to commit suicide.
16-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Now tell us how antibiotics or vaccines only relieve symptoms.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
16-01-2016, 10:12 PM
(16-01-2016 09:00 PM)coyote Wrote:  But go back to what I said, and re-read it.

OK

(16-01-2016 09:49 AM)coyote Wrote:  That said, commercially interested medical 'science' sells us drugs that have intended effects and side effects, and sells them to us as 'health'. They are not. Lemme ask: is it possible that the reason my cousin has ongoing stomach trouble is because he is missing his natural allotment of Nexium? OF COURSE NOT.

Drugs are not health. They are the antithesis of health, though they can be useful for temporary symptom relief. Health is whole; it is how we think, what we ingest, how we treat our bodies, etc.

Emphasis mine.

I have been seizure-free for nearly 30 years now. I am lucky in that the side-effects are negligible. If I stop taking my medication then it is almost certain that I will resume having seizures. Kindly explain how that would be more healthy for me by any definition.

Yes, drugs have side-effects, some worse than others. You and your doctor need to understand both the benefits and the risks presented and decide which outweighs the other. Drugs are a tool, and like any tool they have applications and misapplications. If you discard pharmaceuticals simply from ignorance and fear then you are doing yourself a disservice and endangering your health.

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
16-01-2016, 10:35 PM
(16-01-2016 09:00 PM)coyote Wrote:  And we all know most drugs have undesirable effects

Hard to miss.

Quote:(carrying the oddly benign title 'side' effects).

It's hardly benign. A side-effect is any effect other than the one that was intended, regardless of severity.

Quote:As but one of literally thousands of examples, Chantix will help you reduce your smoking habit.... and one way it might accomplish that is by inducing you to commit suicide.

At what risk? Greater or less than the risk of suicide by tobacco smoke?

---