Global climate change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Global climate change
http://www.upworthy.com/one-guy-with-a-m...te-7?c=cp2

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2013, 07:49 AM
RE: Global climate change
Allow me to do the honors of being the person that posts in this thread.
Drinking Beverage

This research into climate change....why did it have to be exaggerated by purposely fixing the numbers in the findings.

I am sure you are aware of this.
Find all posts by this user
24-10-2013, 11:17 AM
(24-10-2013 07:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  http://www.upworthy.com/one-guy-with-a-m...te-7?c=cp2

Funny, but I think the reasoning is flawed.
"inaction" has a worse "worst case" than "action". That is true.
But for risk one also has to take into account the probabilities of the worst case scenario's.
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
24-10-2013, 11:38 AM
(24-10-2013 11:17 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 07:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  http://www.upworthy.com/one-guy-with-a-m...te-7?c=cp2

Funny, but I think the reasoning is flawed.
"inaction" has a worse "worst case" than "action". That is true.
But for risk one also has to take into account the probabilities of the worst case scenario's.

Given that no one can agree on the probabilities, it is best to take the course he recommended. If the probabilities were agreed upon, his whole thingy would not be necessary.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Isn't this basically... Pasquale's Wager?

Actually I agree with him, but its not really up for debate like the existence of God... There's a lot of evidence that it is happening, and at least some that suggests we are the cause. So excuse me while I go for column A.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
24-10-2013, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 06:29 PM by Heathen.)
I was talking to a friend about this recently who was shocked to hear that I'm fed up with the whole climate change debate. My reasoning is that I find it a bit of a red herring. The anti climate change crowd likes to poke holes in the science and as a skeptic, I can see their side. But the problem is that for those who really know nothing about the science (and that includes just about everyone including me) it's very easy to sow seeds of doubt. They have set things up so that if they can force people to question the science (which they don't understand) it follows that we should do nothing since the costs of really tackling the issue are enormous. Why do all of this based on an unproven theory? They have convinced many that climate change is not proven and therefore we can burn fossil fuels to our heart's content because the earth is able to handle all of this just fine. Showing that climate change may not be proven means (to them) that it proves everything we have and are doing to the earth is not affecting climate. That's pretty simplistic thinking but look around - it works in other areas, why not this?

My personal view is that I don't need to prove climate change to know that polluting the air, water and land is a bad idea. There is a whole lot of time and energy by people like David Suzuki and Al Gore that are narrowly focused upon convincing people about the science of climate change. The problem is that this will probably never happen. We look to people we trust to interpret the data and there is a lot of money behind the movement to convince people that it isn't true. Actually not even that, all they have to do is convince people that the jury is still out, it isn't confirmed yet. They never really have to prove anything. It's the other side that has been boxed into a corner and is forced to actually prove their side beyond any reasonable doubt.

[sigh] Things were so much simpler in the 60s and 70s.

edit: Great video Chas. Thanks!

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 2 users Like Heathen's post
24-10-2013, 06:23 PM
The A's have it IMO.

A strong and frightening argument!Evil_monster
24-10-2013, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 06:46 PM by evenheathen.)
I agree with Heathen. The jury is still out on why, but there is no question that the climate is changing. It is a bit of Pascal's wager.

But what do we gain from taking a safe approach and doing what we can to treat the earth as a the ultimate limited resource? If we are wrong: a cleaner, healthier environment in which to thrive.

What do we get if we say fuck it and continue to rape the earth and pollute the skies?
If we are wrong: well, it'll be a slow, suffocating death for our species.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
24-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Don't have the resources to investigate comprehensively.
So much bullshit from both camps, but most skeptics are politically Motivated (bad science).

Siding with the doomsdayers for now only because occam says so, but they need to keep this scientific or people will think they are crying wolf.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
24-10-2013, 07:24 PM
I think it's pretty sily to assume we don't have an effect on the planet.

I do my little things to help reduce...but it takes a whole lot more than just me.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon