Global population trends

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Global population trends
Hi Smile
Lately I've been reading up on population trends a lot and I'm a bit worried. It seems that most sources agree that the only positive trends which will occur in global population levels will be by 2080. Before then we face the developing world -China, India, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh increasing their population by about 250% while the developed world will decrease.

http://www.futuredirections.org.au/files...202010.pdf

I found the source above an interesting read.
This would cause good shortages and civil unrest.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this and if you share the same concerns. Is there anything that can be done?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 09:35 AM
RE: Global population trends
I think this population scare is going to meet the same fate the two he mentioned in the beginning of the article met.

These predictions are always based on the notion that the current technologies will be the future technologies... and they won't be. Food and energy production technologies are improving and we cannot say with any amount of certainty what we'll be using for energy fifty years from now any more than I can say what my great, great grandkids will do for a living. We simply don't know.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, including the land we farm, humans are only occupying a small percentage of the total amount of habitable land on the planet right now.

That's not to say we shouldn't be mindful of the future or that we shouldn't care, but hand wringing and panicking are guaranteed methods of getting nothing good accomplished.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post