Global warming solved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 08:54 PM by DeepThought.)
RE: Global warming solved
(11-04-2012 08:18 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  90% of 8 year old's would laugh at that statement.

I'd like to test that statement.

Ask random 8 year olds what happens to the heat when air-con units are running. (Without letting them access the internet to answer you.)

My main point here is that knowledge that might seem basic to you does not necessarily reach everyone. Not everyone has the same interests either.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
(11-04-2012 08:43 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'd like to test that statement. Do you have any facts to back that up? General population studies?

Ask random 8 year olds what happens to the heat when air-con units are running. (Without letting them access the internet to answer you.)

Shockingly I don't have a collection of studies documenting 8 year old's attitudes to global warming.

Regardless of that I admit that the sentence in question was an exaggeration to highlight my point, didn't particularly expect it to become the focus of the thread if I'm honest.

I still contend though that most 13 year old's would find the air con idea pretty amusing though.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
(11-04-2012 08:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 08:43 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'd like to test that statement. Do you have any facts to back that up? General population studies?

Shockingly I don't have a collection of studies documenting 8 year old's attitudes to global warming.
Regardless of that I admit that the sentence in question was an exaggeration to highlight my point, didn't particularly expect it to become the focus of the thread if I'm honest.

I still contend though that most 13 year old's would find the air con idea pretty amusing though.

Yeah, but there are lots of reasons to find that idea amusing and I doubt most 13 year olds would understand the core science behind it. She's probably just out of primary school. I don't remember doing any serious science until the later years of high school.

Physics covering thermal expansion/conductivity and principles of thermodynamics came allot later.

12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
(11-04-2012 04:13 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  

I think we found a soulmate for Karl Pilkington!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Bottom line is that stupid people are stupid and smart people are smart. What you get taught in class won't change that. If anything this girls parents are to blame. Ask 20 people (of any age) to give you 3 adverbs. I bet at least half can't do it.

Or ask them if that last sentence is grammatically correct.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-04-2012, 04:48 PM
passively, slowly, quickly. Yes, that sentence was correct.

Did I pass?

Under Repair.
13-04-2012, 09:36 AM
(11-04-2012 08:18 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  She's only 13? She looks older than that.
See? You're a paedo and you don't even know it! Big Grin
13-04-2012, 09:53 AM
(13-04-2012 09:36 AM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  See? You're a paedo and you don't even know it! Big Grin

I'm not a paedo, she just looks about 15/16 Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
13-04-2012, 10:10 AM
(12-04-2012 01:57 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Bottom line is that stupid people are stupid and smart people are smart. What you get taught in class won't change that. If anything this girls parents are to blame. Ask 20 people (of any age) to give you 3 adverbs. I bet at least half can't do it.

I'm not that smart and have no idea what adverbs or pronouns are. A noun is a name so a pro-noun is Chloe, Crystal, and Candy?
I think I use English well enough to get around without having to know what's an adverb and what's a noun etc. I use them all instinctively without any issues.

That last sentence might be wrong though since you left out the part after half?

I'm curious how bad my English actually is considering I almost failed it!

Evidence is mounting that intelligence isn't so much genetic as it is environmental (nutrition in the womb included). Also if you are raised around intelligence you will become smarter. The brain is like a muscle that gets stronger as you train it. I think most people have the potential if they apply themselves.

13-04-2012, 11:29 AM
(13-04-2012 10:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 01:57 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Bottom line is that stupid people are stupid and smart people are smart. What you get taught in class won't change that. If anything this girls parents are to blame. Ask 20 people (of any age) to give you 3 adverbs. I bet at least half can't do it.

I'm not that smart and have no idea what adverbs or pronouns are. A noun is a name so a pro-noun is Chloe, Crystal, and Candy?
I think I use English well enough to get around without having to know what's an adverb and what's a noun etc. I use them all instinctively without any issues.

That last sentence might be wrong though since you left out the part after half?

I'm curious how bad my English actually is considering I almost failed it!

Evidence is mounting that intelligence isn't so much genetic as it is environmental (nutrition in the womb included). Also if you are raised around intelligence you will become smarter. The brain is like a muscle that gets stronger as you train it. I think most people have the potential if they apply themselves.
Perhaps. But I've wondered if intelligence isn't just a symptom of an interest in learning. Almost like it's a personality trait. As for the sentence, it ends in a preposition. It would need to be reworded.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain