Global warming solved

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 10:36 AM by Antirepublican.)
RE: Global warming solved
(11-04-2012 08:43 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'd like to test that statement. Do you have any facts to back that up? General population studies?

Ask random 8 year olds what happens to the heat when air-con units are running. (Without letting them access the internet to answer you.)

Shockingly I don't have a collection of studies documenting 8 year old's attitudes to global warming.

Regardless of that I admit that the sentence in question was an exaggeration to highlight my point, didn't particularly expect it to become the focus of the thread if I'm honest.

I still contend though that most 13 year old's would find the air con idea pretty amusing though.
[/quote]Most adults have no understanding of how air conditioning systems works, never mind 8 year olds.

It has nothing to do with intelligence whatsoever. Most people, do not understand or even try to understand how the many things inside their home work. That doesn't make them stupid, it just means they aren't engineers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2012, 11:13 AM
(13-04-2012 11:29 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 10:10 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm not that smart and have no idea what adverbs or pronouns are. A noun is a name so a pro-noun is Chloe, Crystal, and Candy?
I think I use English well enough to get around without having to know what's an adverb and what's a noun etc. I use them all instinctively without any issues.

That last sentence might be wrong though since you left out the part after half?

I'm curious how bad my English actually is considering I almost failed it!

Evidence is mounting that intelligence isn't so much genetic as it is environmental (nutrition in the womb included). Also if you are raised around intelligence you will become smarter. The brain is like a muscle that gets stronger as you train it. I think most people have the potential if they apply themselves.
Perhaps. But I've wondered if intelligence isn't just a symptom of an interest in learning. Almost like it's a personality trait. As for the sentence, it ends in a preposition. It would need to be reworded.
"I bet at least half can't do it."

That sentence ends in a pronoun. It is correct.

I - pronoun
bet - verb
at - prep
least - noun
half - noun
can - verb
not - adverb
do- verb
it- pronoun

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-04-2012, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 11:37 AM by germanyt.)
(17-04-2012 11:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 11:29 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Perhaps. But I've wondered if intelligence isn't just a symptom of an interest in learning. Almost like it's a personality trait. As for the sentence, it ends in a preposition. It would need to be reworded.
"I bet at least half can't do it."

That sentence ends in a pronoun. It is correct.

I - pronoun
bet - verb
at - prep
least - noun
half - noun
can - verb
not - adverb
do- verb
it- pronoun
Leave it to the English teacher. You're right though. I had it confused as a prepostion. Most 2 letter words are.

(15-04-2012 08:37 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Most adults have no understanding of how air conditioning systems works, never mind 8 year olds.

It has nothing to do with intelligence whatsoever. Most people, do not understand or even try to understand how the many things inside their home work. That doesn't make them stupid, it just means they aren't engineers.

And it really boils down to an interest in the topic. Another person might not have near the knowledge of car audio I do but not because they aren't smarter. They just have no interest in learning about electromagnetic motors.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
17-04-2012, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 02:47 PM by Logica Humano.)
I, for one, am terrified at the fact that she fulfills the blonde stereotype.

(11-04-2012 09:09 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 08:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Shockingly I don't have a collection of studies documenting 8 year old's attitudes to global warming.
Regardless of that I admit that the sentence in question was an exaggeration to highlight my point, didn't particularly expect it to become the focus of the thread if I'm honest.

I still contend though that most 13 year old's would find the air con idea pretty amusing though.

Yeah, but there are lots of reasons to find that idea amusing and I doubt most 13 year olds would understand the core science behind it. She's probably just out of primary school. I don't remember doing any serious science until the later years of high school.

Physics covering thermal expansion/conductivity and principles of thermodynamics came allot later.

One does not need to understand the core science to know that her idea is just fucking stupid. When I was 7 years old, I would have laughed at her.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-04-2012, 02:46 PM
(17-04-2012 02:43 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I, for one, am terrified at the fact that she fulfills the blonde stereotype.
Someone has to be an expert on makeup, shoes, and purses.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
21-04-2012, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 10:38 AM by Antirepublican.)
(17-04-2012 02:43 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I, for one, am terrified at the fact that she fulfills the blonde stereotype.

(11-04-2012 09:09 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Yeah, but there are lots of reasons to find that idea amusing and I doubt most 13 year olds would understand the core science behind it. She's probably just out of primary school. I don't remember doing any serious science until the later years of high school.

Physics covering thermal expansion/conductivity and principles of thermodynamics came allot later.

One does not need to understand the core science to know that her idea is just fucking stupid. When I was 7 years old, I would have laughed at her.
Pretty sure AC units aren't covered at all in school, unless maybe you take a class in trade school, which in the US requires you to be about 15 years old.

She came to a bad conclusion based on her limited observations of AC units, sitting inside a cooled house. Its extremely likely she has never even seen an AC unit actually working. So, you can laugh it up, but this girl is leagues smarter than the average climate change denier.

It is rather ironic that people are calling her stupid....

Just a bunch of circle jerking dumbasses pretending to be superior. "I was doing calculus and physics while finishing up my certified license in heating in cooling when I was seven! I also knew how everything worked, even if I had no prior experience with it...and and and BS BS BS..."

STFU!

You were probably in the back yard eating dirt!
[+] 2 users Like Antirepublican's post
21-04-2012, 11:38 PM
I believe I've found a better solution to Global Warming.

Of course I'm joking but her statement is still hilarious. I believe it shows the average thoughts of teenagers on the subject. I do believe our education is horrendous. As a person who was a student in Nevadan schools(Which are now considered the worst) I remember a teenage girl who had once asked me: "What if gravity existed in the universe?" I couldn't have helped to burst out laughing at the comment and even to this day I think it reveals the lack of knowledge our students have.

Not all students are terrible but I believe much more simply don't care.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?