Glumming in Bloemfontein

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Glumming in Bloemfontein
Have we, indeed, sunk so low in our boredom, satiation and complete indifference towards the (everyday!) suffering of others? Actually, scratch the indifference bit. We are very interested in it - in watching (and exploiting) it. Makes for great TV, too. Undecided

"Millions of people are living in informal settlements across South Africa. These settlements consist of thousands of houses also referred to as Shacks, Shantys or Makhukhus. A Shanty usually consists of old corrugated iron sheets or any other waterproof material which is constructed in such a way to form a small "house" or shelter where they make a normal living. A paraffin lamp, candles, a battery operated radio, an outside toilet (also referred to as a long drop) and a drum where they make fire for cooking is normally part of this lifestyle.

Now you can experience staying in a Shanty within the safe environment of a private game reserve. This is the only Shanty Town in the world equipped with under-floor heating and wireless internet access!"

The Shanty Town is ideal for team building, braais, fancy theme parties and an experience of a lifetime. Accommodates up to 52 guests. Our Shantys are completely safe and child friendly."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have go talk to a guy about building a gas chamber. Only thing missing from my luxury concentration camp.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
28-12-2013, 11:16 PM
RE: Glumming in Bloemfontein
Every country in NATO has been giving billions to Africa for over sixty years.
It's just spent on capital cities, weapons, bribes and the pockets of the leaders.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
29-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Actually, that's a whole other fucked-up story (and not nearly as easily resolved as "let's pour money into it and teach them our superior ways and it'll all be right as rain", either...)

However, turning the misery of others into entertainment is a whole other level of sick. Not even sure who's more revolting - the ones who offer this experience or the ones who are so bored in their sheltered little lives, that they would actually do it.

I've seen shanty towns (and you're never prepared for something like this Undecided ), I've been to favelas and know people who've grown up in one, so have heard stories of kids watching the drug-dealers who ran them, exact "justice" on a rapist in front of the whole community, in a manner that even an adult would find painful to hear about... And yet, people go on ghetto tours, to look at the inhabitants, as if they were zoo exhibits. And, apparently, they go glumming it in shacks... with underfloor heating and internet access...

What's next - sending our kids to "orphanage camp"? Going to "South Sudan Spas", with mass graves right around the corner and women being raped in the next chalet?

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
29-12-2013, 06:00 AM
(28-12-2013 03:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  Have we, indeed, sunk so low in our boredom, satiation and complete indifference towards the (everyday!) suffering of others? Actually, scratch the indifference bit. We are very interested in it - in watching (and exploiting) it. Makes for great TV, too. Undecided

"Millions of people are living in informal settlements across South Africa. These settlements consist of thousands of houses also referred to as Shacks, Shantys or Makhukhus. A Shanty usually consists of old corrugated iron sheets or any other waterproof material which is constructed in such a way to form a small "house" or shelter where they make a normal living. A paraffin lamp, candles, a battery operated radio, an outside toilet (also referred to as a long drop) and a drum where they make fire for cooking is normally part of this lifestyle.

Now you can experience staying in a Shanty within the safe environment of a private game reserve. This is the only Shanty Town in the world equipped with under-floor heating and wireless internet access!"

The Shanty Town is ideal for team building, braais, fancy theme parties and an experience of a lifetime. Accommodates up to 52 guests. Our Shantys are completely safe and child friendly."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have go talk to a guy about building a gas chamber. Only thing missing from my luxury concentration camp.
Vera, we didn't just became that way, people were always like that. Remember the gladiators, trowing people to the lions?
In the middle ages you could always count on crowds to gather to watch and cheer the hangings , burning of the witches and so on.
It's just that today technology and standards of living can offer more and to more people.
Progress. Confused

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
29-12-2013, 06:57 AM
(29-12-2013 06:00 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Vera, we didn't just became that way, people were always like that. Remember the gladiators, trowing people to the lions?
In the middle ages you could always count on crowds to gather to watch and cheer the hangings , burning of the witches and so on.
It's just that today technology and standards of living can offer more and to more people.
Progress. Confused

Nah, I'm not surprised because I thought that's the first time something like this has ever happened (hell, I had the same sickening feeling when I heard about those "favela tours" in Rio... and had some of my roommates go on one).

I've long since... well, been trying to make my peace with the fact that we are one sickeningly voyeuristic (and exhibitionist, for that matter) species. And I'm still trying to understand where the fascination with the pain and suffering of others lies... why people would crane their necks to look at a car crash... or watch movies like Salo and Hostel (of course, those are usually the ones who've never seen anything worse than a bar fight... People I know, who've actually been in a real war, have lost that particular interest... along with other things... I just don't think we need to see people die horrific deaths before our eyes, in order to realise that violence and pain hold no allure...)

It's just that I've never been able to understand how the suffering of others can cause anything but the desire to help, but what the fuck do I know... And turning it into something so callous just took me aback, I guess...

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-12-2013, 07:10 AM
(29-12-2013 06:57 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 06:00 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Vera, we didn't just became that way, people were always like that. Remember the gladiators, trowing people to the lions?
Progress. Confused

Nah, I'm not surprised because I thought that's the first time something like this has ever happened (hell, I had the same sickening feeling when I heard about those "favela tours" in Rio... and had some of my roommates go on one).

I've long since... well, been trying to make my peace with the fact that we are one sickeningly voyeuristic (and exhibitionist, for that matter) species. And I'm still trying to understand where the fascination with the pain and suffering of others lies... why people would crane their necks to look at a car crash... or watch movies like Salo and Hostel (of course, those are usually the ones who've never seen anything worse than a bar fight... People I know, who've actually been in a real war, have lost that particular interest... along with other things... I just don't think we need to see people die horrific deaths before our eyes, in order to realise that violence and pain hold no allure...)

It's just that I've never been able to understand how the suffering of others can cause anything but the desire to help, but what the fuck do I know... And turning it into something so callous just took me aback, I guess...
I don't want to understand ,just thinking about it makes me not like people very much.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
29-12-2013, 08:04 AM
(29-12-2013 07:10 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I don't want to understand ,just thinking about it makes me not like people very much.
Well, yeah, but that's what I do - I try to understand stuff (and people)... and, more often than not, end up wishing to high heaven I haven't Confused

I remember when I was writing my thesis paper (kinda remotely connected) reading explanations along the lines that watching others suffer helped us deal with our fear of death. But first of all - what drivel. And second of all - pish and tosh. It goes way beyond the fear of death. And, like I might have mentioned, there are those whom the suffering of others doesn't stir on quite as selfish a level...

As always, am reminded of this song. Love it so much...

And when you climb into your bed tonight
And when you lock and bolt the door
Just think of those out in the cold and dark
'Cause there's not enough love to go 'round

And sympathy is what we need my friend
And sympathy is what we need
And sympathy is what we need my friend
'Cause there's not enough love to go 'round
No, there's not enough love to go 'round

Now half the world hates the other half
And half the world has all the food
And half the world lies down and quietly starves