Gluten Free

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Gluten Free
First off Im new to this site, but I have some questions. I am glad food is a topic.
I understand Celiac disease a proven malady where the individual cannot process gluten.
Popular culture and trends have made some pretty crazy claims around gluten allergies. My own doctor beleives gluten is responsible for all manner of diseases, I think he's over the top, but hey, he may be right?

I have no doubt that eating too many carbs will result in weight gain even a risk in diabetes and maybe worse. I love cooking, I never use or eat processed food, not if I can help it. Fresh vegetables raw meat unadulterated cooked properly, some rice and potatoes etc.... moderation. I like the idea of a mediteranean diet

We have big issues with over packaged food products, dosed with preservatives, the packing material is often worth more than the crap inside. Anyways is bread and grain the demon mainstream culture suggests it is? My partner is terrified to eat a sandwich
If people can believe in formless dieties, astrology, etc... they are gullible to what pseudo science says about diet
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2014, 05:47 PM
RE: Gluten Free
If gluten doesn't affect you then just continue eating it.

My husband has a gluten allergy and we have to be careful not to get even 20 parts per million in his food (the legal minimum in Europe to be certified gluten free). If we do then he'll be stuck on a toilet for the next few days.

We cook from base ingredients and when on holiday he won't touch anything new that has not been tried before.

I'm happy eating sandwiches and cereal myself though. One of our holidays was ruined because a restaurant under the Forth bridge in Edinburgh served ice cream with a wafer in it. We complained and so they took it away, removed the wafer, let it melt and then served the same ice-cream again. My husband had terrible bowel cramps for the rest of the week as a result.
18-04-2014, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2014 06:27 PM by Jeffasaurus.)
(18-04-2014 05:47 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  If gluten doesn't affect you then just continue eating it.

My husband has a gluten allergy and we have to be careful not to get even 20 parts per million in his food (the legal minimum in Europe to be certified gluten free). If we do then he'll be stuck on a toilet for the next few days.

My wife is exactly the same way. Being diagnosed changed her life. Prior to then, she was literally sick (nausea/diarrhea) all of the time. After changing her diet, she was concerned about her poo being solid; I had to explain how that is what it's supposed to be like. She literally had diarrhea for decades.

While many restaurants offer gluten free menu options, they aren't always diligent in avoiding contamination via utensils or gloves. So, even when she's being careful, the evening can be ruined by needing to spend all night in the throne room.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
18-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm another one.

Added disadvantage of being addicted to French bread (which fortunately is hard to find over here).

Discovered this when we removed gluten from the family diet to help manage my son's Aspergers symptoms.

It comes down to configuration. We all have slightly different genetic configurations and we must learn what is the appropriate fuel for our individual systems.

Would you load Apple software on a PC?
Would you fill you diesel engine with non-diesel toxins?

Consider

18-04-2014, 08:49 PM
(18-04-2014 05:39 PM)freewilly Wrote:  Anyways is bread and grain the demon mainstream culture suggests it is?

Probably not. They've been a regular part of the human diet for millenia now.

But: I have some militant paleo dieter friends who give me enough strife....I have to admit that I try to cut out grains whenever I can because of their nagging. Just stopping and *really* thinking about it, I realized grains just aren't very nutrient dense. Plus (being the skincare junky that I am) I worry about glycation damage to my dermis even though I'm not a diabetic, etc. I mean, I used to eat a looooot of bread and pasta; every dinner and most breakfasts. For years. No

I don't know if I'm entirely sold on their ideas of anti-nutrients and leaky gut syndrome, but I imagine people would be healthier if they made themselves a salad every time they craved a sandwich. They aren't evil, they're just not really that beneficial.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days