Gnostic Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Gnostic Atheism
I would consider myself a gnostic atheist, which means I do not believe in a higher power and I know a higher power could not exist. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. It's an individualistic knowledge. Reality has been corrupted beyond repair, and according to mainstream religious thought, the only solution is to end existence. According to me, however, there is another way. The path I have chosen leads to Xanadu, the world of dreams. If you've ever played Final Fantasy X, Xanadu is like Zanarkand, an endless realm of sensuous delights. Doesn't that sound so much better than not existing? The only one you would be serving in this realm is yourself, that's the way it should be.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 04:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Gnostic Atheism
(26-05-2017 02:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I would consider myself a gnostic atheist, which means I do not believe in a higher power and I know a higher power could not exist. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. It's an individualistic knowledge. Reality has been corrupted beyond repair, and according to mainstream religious thought, the only solution is to end existence. According to me, however, there is another way. The path I have chosen leads to Xanadu, the world of dreams. If you've ever played Final Fantasy X, Xanadu is like Zanarkand, an endless realm of sensuous delights. Doesn't that sound so much better than not existing? The only one you would be serving in this realm is yourself, that's the way it should be.

The moon is made of green cheese.
I am a gnostic lunar viridic cheesitarian.

Quote:Don't ask me how I know, I just know. It's an individualistic knowledge.

Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Technically no one can make a knowledge claim for OR against the existence of deities.

"I just know" is no more credible a knowledge claim for an atheist, than for a theist.

"According to me" is at least more intellectually honest than typical theists hiding behind the proxy phrase, "according to god" or "according to my holy book". Still, honest as it is, by itself it substantiates nothing, including Xanadu.

Not existing is how everyone ends up. It's not a problem needing solving, so far as I'm concerned. A longer healthspan would of course be a nice option to have; more options are generally better than fewer. But I do not seek immortality and have come to terms with my mortality.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
26-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Apparently, Bucky, my dear, we've qualified for a bonus - an extra, non-traditionally-religious, nut this week. Yay! Sleepy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
26-05-2017, 03:00 PM
(26-05-2017 02:58 PM)Vera Wrote:  Apparently, Bucky, my dear, we've qualified for a bonus - an extra, non-traditionally-religious, nut this week. Yay! Sleepy

I think there's a holiday bonus in the contract. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Gnostic Atheism
I don't need childish fantasies to keep the fear of oblivion away. Nothing scary in non-existence.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
26-05-2017, 03:16 PM
(26-05-2017 03:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't need childish fantasies to keep the fear of oblivion away. Nothing scary in non-existence.

Keep telling yourself that.
26-05-2017, 03:23 PM
(26-05-2017 03:16 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't need childish fantasies to keep the fear of oblivion away. Nothing scary in non-existence.

So we read minds, now.
Ok.
Facepalm

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2017, 03:26 PM
(26-05-2017 03:16 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  

No need to project your own cowardice onto others.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
26-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Knowledge cannot be individualistic, only demonstrable. Saying you know or a fact that God cannot and does not exist is just as fallacious as saying that you know he can and does exist.

Quote: Keep telling yourself that.

Oblivion isn't a scary concept for everyone. Socrates himself thought that of the two prevailing hypotheses at the time, that an "endless sleep" sounded peaceful. I'm not completely disinclined to belief that myself. I mean, you can't be unhappy if you can't feel anything anymore. I just focus on my living-life. Nothing to worry about because after I'm dead I can't complain. XD
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post