Gnostic Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 09:34 PM by Robvalue.)
RE: Gnostic Atheism
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Not everyone has a divine destiny, only some people do. I think that's why so many people are against spirituality and religion (which reminds them of spirituality). Deep down inside, they are scared and insecure, so much so that they even bash religion, which technically has nothing to do with spirituality. If only these people knew it was possible to be atheistic and spiritual.

I feel you're projecting here. From all my experiences with sceptics (that's who we're talking about), none of the motivation for beliefs (or lack of) comes from insecurity. It tends to be the other way round: people often hold onto irrational beliefs for emotional reasons. Withholding belief from unsupported ideas is simply logical and practical. If you can present a falsifiable hypothesis to back up anything you say, and describe how we can test it, then we'd be all set. Until then, you're just making assertions.

Surely, if you were insecure, you'd want as much of this magical drivel to be true to make yourself feel better. I bet everyone who believes in this "divine destiny" (whatever that is) happen to be the ones who have one.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 09:34 PM
(31-05-2017 09:30 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I bet everyone who believes in this "divine destiny" (whatever that is) happen to be the ones who have one.

I used to be Cleopatra. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-05-2017, 09:36 PM
(31-05-2017 09:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 09:30 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I bet everyone who believes in this "divine destiny" (whatever that is) happen to be the ones who have one.

I used to be Cleopatra. Wink

Wow really? Before or after me? Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Hmm, let's see:

Does believing in divine destinies have any bearing on whether you actually have one or not? If not, then what is the problem in not believing in them? (Especially since they are ill-defined/unfalsifiable, I'm sure.)

I think it's more to do with the emotional feedback one would get from believing one has such a destiny, whether one does or not. And therein lies the hook.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
01-06-2017, 02:12 AM
(31-05-2017 03:23 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 02:24 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Please define "divine destiny."

A purpose that transcends the mundane realm.

> Can you be more specific? Consider
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
01-06-2017, 03:40 AM
(31-05-2017 09:45 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  Hmm, let's see:

Does believing in divine destinies have any bearing on whether you actually have one or not? If not, then what is the problem in not believing in them? (Especially since they are ill-defined/unfalsifiable, I'm sure.)

I think it's more to do with the emotional feedback one would get from believing one has such a destiny, whether one does or not. And therein lies the hook.

exactly.

Its not about believing in what observations point to all the time. Sometimes Its about addressing the emotional need first while, and this is the hard part, not letting the person force a personal need on others to make it more real for that person.
01-06-2017, 07:01 AM
(31-05-2017 09:36 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 09:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I used to be Cleopatra. Wink

Wow really? Before or after me? Tongue

Wow. I was an asp. Sorry.
[+] 3 users Like kemo boy's post
01-06-2017, 11:18 AM
(01-06-2017 02:12 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:23 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  A purpose that transcends the mundane realm.

> Can you be more specific? Consider

Changing genders.
[+] 1 user Likes Angra Mainyu's post
01-06-2017, 11:24 AM
(31-05-2017 09:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I used to be Cleopatra. Wink

True story.
[Image: elleny_zpsonrgrkaz.jpg]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Not everyone has a divine destiny, only some people do. I think that's why so many people are against spirituality and religion (which reminds them of spirituality). Deep down inside, they are scared and insecure, so much so that they even bash religion, which technically has nothing to do with spirituality. If only these people knew it was possible to be atheistic and spiritual.

Can you define what you think spiritual means?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post