Gnostic Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2017, 03:35 PM
RE: Gnostic Atheism
(26-05-2017 02:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I would consider myself a gnostic atheist, which means I do not believe in a higher power and I know a higher power could not exist. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. It's an individualistic knowledge. Reality has been corrupted beyond repair, and according to mainstream religious thought, the only solution is to end existence. According to me, however, there is another way. The path I have chosen leads to Xanadu, the world of dreams. If you've ever played Final Fantasy X, Xanadu is like Zanarkand, an endless realm of sensuous delights. Doesn't that sound so much better than not existing? The only one you would be serving in this realm is yourself, that's the way it should be.

well, you know about nothing as surely as they know about omni guy. And your feeling is as good as theirs.

all in all, not bad by you. Bowing
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2017, 03:44 PM
(26-05-2017 03:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Nothing scary in non-existence.

Been there, done that.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
26-05-2017, 04:08 PM
(26-05-2017 02:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Reality has been corrupted beyond repair...

How do you figure that oh Avenging Power of Darkness?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-05-2017, 06:13 PM
(26-05-2017 04:08 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 02:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Reality has been corrupted beyond repair...

How do you figure that oh Avenging Power of Darkness?

Are you serious? Do you really not know how the world works? It is so obvious this world is a dysfunctional place, it is fundamentally flawed and nothing can be done about it. There are only two viable options, non-existence or a realm of perpetual and ever increasing bliss.
26-05-2017, 06:23 PM
(26-05-2017 06:13 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Are you serious? Do you really not know how the world works? It is so obvious this world is a dysfunctional place, it is fundamentally flawed and nothing can be done about it. There are only two viable options, non-existence or a realm of perpetual and ever increasing bliss.
[Image: b254e9c2e326f13aebaeed6d831e42d5.jpg]

That's the entire universe imploding on itself from the amount of so much stupid packed into such a minuscule space (both that paragraph and your three brain cells)

Now go masturbate your feeble excuse for a brain some place else Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
26-05-2017, 08:37 PM
(26-05-2017 06:13 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Are you serious? Do you really not know how the world works? It is so obvious this world is a dysfunctional place, it is fundamentally flawed and nothing can be done about it.

Simply restating a position is hardly a valid argument. Kindly state:
(1) How the world works
(2) How it is fundamentally flawed
(3) Why nothing can be done about it

Good luck.

Quote:There are only two viable options, non-existence or a realm of perpetual and ever increasing bliss.

Worst false dichotomy ever.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
26-05-2017, 11:26 PM
What exactly is a "higher power"? Higher than what? Powerful in what way? How would it exist/manifest?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2017, 01:00 AM
(26-05-2017 02:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I would consider myself a gnostic atheist, which means I do not believe in a higher power and I know a higher power could not exist. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. It's an individualistic knowledge. Reality has been corrupted beyond repair, and according to mainstream religious thought, the only solution is to end existence. According to me, however, there is another way. The path I have chosen leads to Xanadu, the world of dreams. If you've ever played Final Fantasy X, Xanadu is like Zanarkand, an endless realm of sensuous delights. Doesn't that sound so much better than not existing? The only one you would be serving in this realm is yourself, that's the way it should be.

> Um....wouldn't the claim of being a gnostic atheist preclude a belief in ANY kind of higher power? Consider
27-05-2017, 01:31 PM
(26-05-2017 03:16 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't need childish fantasies to keep the fear of oblivion away. Nothing scary in non-existence.

Keep telling yourself that.

If you don't exist, then you can't be afraid of not existing. You won't be aware you don't exist anymore.

Was it scary before you were born?
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
27-05-2017, 01:53 PM
(27-05-2017 01:31 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:16 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Keep telling yourself that.

If you don't exist, then you can't be afraid of not existing. You won't be aware you don't exist anymore.

Was it scary before you were born?

But the thing is, I do exist, and I am scared. You can't even tell me the idea of non-existence isn't scary.