Gnostic Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 01:59 PM
RE: Gnostic Atheism
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Not everyone has a divine destiny, only some people do. I think that's why so many people are against spirituality and religion (which reminds them of spirituality). Deep down inside, they are scared and insecure, so much so that they even bash religion, which technically has nothing to do with spirituality. If only these people knew it was possible to be atheistic and spiritual.
That's just a slightly warmed-over version of the same arrogant tripe theists spout about atheists, that we are just "deep down" (choose one) afraid, angry, rebellious, arrogant or any number of other (negative) things.

How do you (and they) pretend to know such things?

I am an atheist because of good, sufficient and considered reasons, which I'm happy to share if anyone actually cares to know.

As for being "spiritual" I would imagine that depending on your definition, I am quite spiritual. It's just not an accurate label so I don't embrace it. But yes, I find beauty and wonder in aspects of reality, I am curious, I am engaged with the world, self-aware and considerate of others. I think deeply about things. I try to practice stillness on a regular basis, although not with the objective of having a particular subjective experience from it. I try to "be present" all the time. If this makes me "spiritual" to some people then so be it, but I don't see it as a helpful or clarifying label, mainly because some people think this comes from some form of woo or validates some sort of unseen realm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post
31-05-2017, 02:24 PM
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Not everyone has a divine destiny, only some people do.

Please define "divine destiny."
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
31-05-2017, 03:23 PM
(31-05-2017 02:24 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Not everyone has a divine destiny, only some people do.

Please define "divine destiny."

A purpose that transcends the mundane realm.
31-05-2017, 03:27 PM
(31-05-2017 01:59 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Not everyone has a divine destiny, only some people do. I think that's why so many people are against spirituality and religion (which reminds them of spirituality). Deep down inside, they are scared and insecure, so much so that they even bash religion, which technically has nothing to do with spirituality. If only these people knew it was possible to be atheistic and spiritual.

I am an atheist because of good, sufficient and considered reasons

Reasons you adopted from someone else.
31-05-2017, 03:36 PM
(31-05-2017 03:27 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Reasons you adopted from someone else.

Well, some of us actually read and listen to what others have to say, instead of wallowing in our own word-vomit. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
31-05-2017, 04:16 PM
(31-05-2017 03:23 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 02:24 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Please define "divine destiny."

A purpose that transcends the mundane realm.

Sorry, I don't speak gibberish

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
31-05-2017, 04:59 PM
(31-05-2017 03:27 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 01:59 PM)mordant Wrote:  I am an atheist because of good, sufficient and considered reasons

Reasons you adopted from someone else.
How the hell would you know, asshole? I have my own reasons. Some of them happen to agree with others, some do not.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
31-05-2017, 05:19 PM
(31-05-2017 01:59 PM)mordant Wrote:  
That's just a slightly warmed-over version of the same arrogant tripe theists spout about atheists, that we are just "deep down" (choose one) afraid, angry, rebellious, arrogant or any number of other (negative) things.

How do you (and they) pretend to know such things?

I am an atheist because of good, sufficient and considered reasons, which I'm happy to share if anyone actually cares to know.

As for being "spiritual" I would imagine that depending on your definition, I am quite spiritual. It's just not an accurate label so I don't embrace it. But yes, I find beauty and wonder in aspects of reality, I am curious, I am engaged with the world, self-aware and considerate of others. I think deeply about things. I try to practice stillness on a regular basis, although not with the objective of having a particular subjective experience from it. I try to "be present" all the time. If this makes me "spiritual" to some people then so be it, but I don't see it as a helpful or clarifying label, mainly because some people think this comes from some form of woo or validates some sort of unseen realm.

this is a personal opinion and just as valid as any other take on spirituality. What ever we want to call it.

But then again, personal opinions don't decide what the universe does. Weather it be theist, atheist, or anti woo woo.
31-05-2017, 05:38 PM
(31-05-2017 04:59 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:27 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Reasons you adopted from someone else.
How the hell would you know, asshole? I have my own reasons. Some of them happen to agree with others, some do not.

oh, testy. Big Grin

but you seem like one that is just on the other side of the anti religion line, not a real crazy abused. maybe family still believes? you blame religion for them being stoned locked up and that other "S" word??
31-05-2017, 09:07 PM
(31-05-2017 01:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  If only these people knew it was possible to be atheistic and spiritual.

OK Sam.

Sam Harris or Sam Winchester? I get confused. I wanna draw my Gwynnies, only I don't wanna draw no morez.

I felt like I had to stop what I was doing in order to document the moment:
[Image: t02Y7NE.jpg]

Story of my life. Dodgy

Do you know how "god" certainly doesn't exist? By playing the extremes. Here's me with all the felt covered.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user