Gnostic Christians?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 05:53 AM
RE: Gnostic Christians?
(29-04-2014 12:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't think Gnostic theism or atheism is obtainable if people are truly being honest.

Kinda duplicitous coming from an "Elect." Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-04-2014, 08:18 PM
(29-04-2014 12:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't think Gnostic theism or atheism is obtainable if people are truly being honest.

I'd like to hear your justification for this claim.
01-05-2014, 05:42 AM
(30-04-2014 08:18 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

I'd like to hear your justification for this claim.

I think he's referring to the term gnostic as in "are you a gnostic or agnostic atheist". If that's the case, then he's saying that since we can't prove that God does or doesn't exist, then the only two honest positions are agnostic theism or agnostic atheism.

At least that's what I got from it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-05-2014, 06:45 AM
(01-05-2014 05:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(30-04-2014 08:18 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I'd like to hear your justification for this claim.

I think he's referring to the term gnostic as in "are you a gnostic or agnostic atheist". If that's the case, then he's saying that since we can't prove that God does or doesn't exist, then the only two honest positions are agnostic theism or agnostic atheism.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm taking a denotative approach to the term.

Omniscience is impossible for a human; therefore, absolutism is impossible.

99.99999999% =/= 100% in an absolute sense.

It's impossible to be a 1 or 7 if you're being honest with what you believe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
01-05-2014, 07:01 AM
Only applies to those who subscribe to the notion: gnostic = has absolute knowledge. Which renders the term practically useless since it refers to something inherently unattainable. It's much more useful to view knowledge in non-absolute terms as something that has a degree of certainty, hence I view myself as a gnostic atheist in respect to some gods, including that of the Abrahamic tradition, but as an agnostic atheist in general due to the lack of information to form a definitive judgement on all the various conceivable gods.

And anyways, the OP was about a completely different notion of gnosticism.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
(01-05-2014 06:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 05:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I think he's referring to the term gnostic as in "are you a gnostic or agnostic atheist". If that's the case, then he's saying that since we can't prove that God does or doesn't exist, then the only two honest positions are agnostic theism or agnostic atheism.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm taking a denotative approach to the term.

Omniscience is impossible for a human; therefore, absolutism is impossible.

99.99999999% =/= 100% in an absolute sense.

It's impossible to be a 1 or 7 if you're being honest with what you believe.

Thanks RP and KC. I understand now.

This term "agnostic" is used in a different sense to the "Gnostics" who were a loosely defined collection of thinkers.

I'm honest. I don't think of myself as an agnostic. To me there is no god, because there's no evidence of "its" existence. I'm a pure, 100% atheist. Show me the tiniest smidgen of real evidence that even suggests the possibility of a god and I'll consider becoming an agnostic atheist.