Go NASA!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Go NASA!!
This is probably posted somewhere else, and may be premature even here since we won't have telemetry data until 4 1/2 hours after the flyby of Pluto/Charon, but I'm so proud of them for the New Horizons mission's completion.

Excellent engineering (Rocket Surgery!) and science yet again from our people (of whom 25% are women) in Houston, Cape, etc.

Huzzah!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
14-07-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: Go NASA!!
Huzzah as well! Big Grin

Also big congrats to folks who've been working at/on this for a long time. Great outcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
14-07-2015, 08:21 AM
NASA is pinpoint accurate over millions and millions of miles.

Tim Tebow can't throw a ball 20 yards and hit a receiver.

Yay, NASA!!!

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
14-07-2015, 08:28 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2015 08:31 AM by kim.)
And it all started with Clyde Tombaugh. Didn't think I'd find this but here he is photographed with his Newton...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...baugh.jpeg
He built it out of old derelict car parts laying around his family's farm in Burdett Kansas.

This mission is a pretty big deal here in Kansas. Not much to do here but look at the sky. We got a lot of sky. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-07-2015, 02:35 PM
This is great, I remember watching PBS when Voyager flew by Jupiter. I was absolutely enthralled when the first images of IO came in.

Been waiting a long time for Pluto to come out of the shadows, what a fascinating world!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
14-07-2015, 03:26 PM
As I passed wintery night in working watchfulness, it was with lofting joy I received news of Man's distant traveller succeeding in its epic goals.

As the images returned revealing true yon rusting hue about far flung orb's demeanor, where in reading science' knowledge of some life's frosting methane exhalations caused.

It is with such thoughts and wonder, preparing as I go to slumber, to hold comfort close the knowledge that past minds -whom also wending into dreaming deeps- perhaps were also briefly touched by same mysteries of Yuggoth bound.
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
15-07-2015, 08:00 AM
(14-07-2015 07:46 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  This is probably posted somewhere else, and may be premature even here since we won't have telemetry data until 4 1/2 hours after the flyby of Pluto/Charon, but I'm so proud of them for the New Horizons mission's completion.

Excellent engineering (Rocket Surgery!) and science yet again from our people (of whom 25% are women) in Houston, Cape, etc.

Huzzah!

Absolutely awesome, no doubt. Buuut I couldn't care less about what percentage of people are what. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
15-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Not me, DD!

When Gene Roddenberry first created the crew for the TV show Star Trek, he made a crew that was half-female and consisted of people from every ethnicity on the planet, because after all it was the future, and he presumed the earth would be over such silly distinctions as gender by then. Even the XO was female, played by Majel Barrett, who later portrayed a nurse instead, and called "Number One" in the British Navy's slang for Executive Officer. (Riker's nickname, in ST:TNG was an homage to this banner character, but was still a man.) He might have been right about the future, but not about Earth's TV studios in 1967!

By the time the producers were done forcing changes, they got one minority and one woman... the same character for both. Sulu was a later addition... and thank goodness!

So I celebrate every step we take toward equality, especially in the sciences. I personally find few things on this earth more appealing than the idea of lady scientists, especially at NASA. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Yep, the female of our species is finally being acknowledged for contributing to scientific study. Women have always been scientific contributors so, it's not for lack of trying, it's from lack of acceptance.

I too, like seeing that percentage on the rise. I'll be tickled shitless when I see it at 50%. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
15-07-2015, 12:10 PM
I think you've missed my point...
I don't really care if 100% of scientists are women. To me it's irrelevant. If more women are going into sciences, great. If less women are going into sciences, great. I simply don't care one way or the other. Just as I don't care what percentage of construction workers are Chinese.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post