Go NASA!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 12:30 PM
RE: Go NASA!!
We get it, DD. And from that one perspective, I'm sure we both agree. A person's gender is irrelevant to their job; either you're a good scientist, or you're not. And that's the end of it.

Or, it would be the end of it if not for society having spent hundreds of generations, under Christian/Hebrew Patriarchal ideals, telling women what they could not and/or should not do.

That's why Roddenberry's original vision was so powerful, and why it never made it onto TV.

And it's not just science. In my previous life I was a scientist (field biologist/environmental scientist), and was saddened to see and hear that women were still discouraged from pursuing their dream of studying science, often from a very young age. I'm a motorcyclist (custom designer/builder) by profession now, and I still see a field with fewer women not because they're any less capable than us, but because we live in a society that discourages women in numerous ways from dreaming of this, or pursuing this, as a hobby. And it breaks my heart. I like the women who are brave enough to follow their dream despite the naysayers. And most of us men just go through our whole lives oblivious to how hard it is for women to do what we do without thinking about it, unless we stop to listen to the women who tell us the way it really is. Privilege check.

That's why I celebrate every step toward realizing the goal of equality, and why I think scientists and motorcyclists are awesome... and even better when they're females. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2015, 01:58 PM
I'd rather not turn this into a debate about feminism Or how everybody is a victim these days so I'll just leave it there and say "go NASA!" Wink
15-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Fuck it. I'll likely regret this but fuck it.
If somebody isn't something because others discouraged them then they don't deserve to be that thing. One of these days (I hope soon) perhaps people will take responsibility for their own lives rather than blaming society, the fucking "patriarchy" or daddy. We all have struggles in life and those that blame others for their failures will never truly succeed until someone hands them their fortunes on a platter. Winners ignore the naysayers and push on.
15-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Hrm, nah. Nothanks. Rather than arguing, I'll link you to some stuff I think you'd benefit from seeing. Take it or leave it.

One of the great, original articles on the subject:
http://www.uakron.edu/dotAsset/1662103.pdf

A briefer site, and not in pdf format, containing a summary of the above:
http://skillcrush.com/2013/01/11/unpacki...privilege/

And finally, a checklist, made from the original Peggy McIntosh article, to save lots of time in self-evaluating:
http://www.sap.mit.edu/content/pdf/white...cklist.pdf

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah and this is good, too:
http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012...privilege/

15-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Go Nasa!!

There is a power to having women educated in STEM. There are definitive trends that better education in women, especially STEM educations helps there be less socio-economic struggles with finance, abuse, food shortages, etc. The more Nasa promotes the better results they can see.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson