Go ahead, shred my homily for today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: Go ahead, shred my homily for today
(10-04-2013 01:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  As I just posted on another site,

"Natural remedies are almost always so much better than pharmaceuticals, and for me, added proof of God's existence and lovingkindness..."

You do realize that an enormous amount of "pharmaceuticals" are based on natutally occuring elements as nach_in's example? Devilsadvoca8's observation should also be part of your homily, I'll help out...

Poisonous plants
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earth...ant-parts/

Poisonous flowers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_flowers

Additional source for both
http://www.babyguard.com/poisplan.html

Happy to help. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 07:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)

"Natural remedies are almost always so much better than pharmaceuticals, and for me, added proof of God's existence and lovingkindness..."

Go ahead and shred it and tell me why these hundreds (thousands) of natural things in divergent families and kingdoms evolved to benefit us so greatly. I can take it. I saw someone trust in Christ last week and added some people to my church. I can take it. Blush

Your homily is quite homely. Tongue
1. There is nothing that is not "natural". Pharmaceuticals are just as "natural", as anything else. It's a dualism that is false. They follow the laws of Physics and Chemistry, just as everything else that exists. What ? You think their electrons go around backwards ?
2. Your Jebus was REALLY REALLY nice not to disclose one thing in his holy book(s), such as the recipe for Penicillin before Fleming accidentally discovered it, and allowed so many millions, if not billions to die from septic shock.
Nice god ya got there, SPJTJ.
3. One anecdotal "witnessing" is meaningless. Thousands of babies died of starvation illness, cancer, and accidents last week also. Did you "witness" to that *loving * Jebus ?
4. Your homely homily is proof of your confirmation bias.
5. You are a hypocrite. If YOU had chest pain, YOU would call 911, and take every single drug they offered you. You would not just pray to your dead Jebus lover. Thus you are lying/pretending.
Try harder, TrollingForJebusPerson. Maybe someday you'll say something meaningful. We won't hold our breath. Wink

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
"Survivorship bias is the logical error of concentrating on the people or things that "survived" some process and inadvertently overlooking those that didn't because of their lack of visibility. This can lead to false conclusions in several different ways. The survivors may literally be people, as in a medical study, or could be companies or research subjects or applicants for a job, or anything that must make it past some selection process to be considered further."

Explain incurable diseases. Genetic flaws that cause suffering. SIDS. Why the sun harms us. Why most of the planet is covered with water we cannot drink. Why appendixes burst and kill us. Why blood vessels in the brain burst and kill us. Explain the millions of humans who have suffered and died from infections.

Tell a sufferer of chronic asthma why god put so much pollen in the air.

Tell someone who's prone to anaphylactic shock why a bee sting is going to kill them.

Then, explain why the instruction manual from your god does not directly address even one of these simple survival issues.

Go ahead, we can take it.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 6 users Like guitar_nut's post
10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
(10-04-2013 03:09 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  "Survivorship bias is the logical error of concentrating on the people or things that "survived" some process and inadvertently overlooking those that didn't because of their lack of visibility. This can lead to false conclusions in several different ways. The survivors may literally be people, as in a medical study, or could be companies or research subjects or applicants for a job, or anything that must make it past some selection process to be considered further."

Explain incurable diseases. Genetic flaws that cause suffering. SIDS. Why the sun harms us. Why most of the planet is covered with water we cannot drink. Why appendixes burst and kill us. Why blood vessels in the brain burst and kill us. Explain the millions of humans who have suffered and died from infections.

Tell a sufferer of chronic asthma why god put so much pollen in the air.

Tell someone who's prone to anaphylactic shock why a bee sting is going to kill them.

Then, explain why the instruction manual from your god does not directly address even one of these simple survival issues.

Go ahead, we can take it.

It's the same as the parents of the one or two kids who did not go to school the day of Sandy Hook. "Thank Jebus he saved my Billy". WTF ? What about all the others he killed ?

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2013, 03:25 PM
The "naturalness" of a remedy has nothing to do with how effective a medicine it is.

Natural and helpful: Acetylsalicylic acid, Penicillin
Synthetic and helpful: Acetaminophen, Sulfonamide
Natural and unhelpful: Urushiol, α-amanitin
Synthetic and unhelpful: Hypochlorite, Phosgene

(all in a medical context, of course)

Obviously, how "natural" a remedy is has nothing to do with how effective it is.

You want to know what the best indicator of how effective a drug is?

How effective it is. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
10-04-2013, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 04:07 PM by docskeptic.)
2. Your Jebus was REALLY REALLY nice not to disclose one thing in his holy book(s), such as the recipe for Penicillin before Fleming accidentally discovered it, and allowed so many millions, if not billions to die from septic shock.
Nice god ya got there, SPJTJ.
[/quote]

Bucky Ball,

God loves us so much that he gave us the following remedies in his "Holy Word":
1. Balm of Gilead (an unknown formulation, perhaps used as a topical analgesic, mentioned in Jeremiah 8:22)
2. Mandrakes and caper berries as aphrodisiacs (Gen. 30:14 and Eccles. 12:5, respectively, with the latter mentioned in the original Hebrew and the English Revised versions only)
3. The fig poultice in 2 Kings 20:7
4. The oil and wine of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:34
5. Myrrh as an analgesic or sedative in Mark 15:23.

This completes the biblical pharmacopeia.

So, if you need an aphrodisiac, you know where to turn. Good luck with anything else. I searched in vain for verses such as:

1. Study moldy bread carefully. You may be surprised at what you find.

While he was at it, God could also have thrown in a few verses like:

a. Always boil water before you drink it.
b. Here's how to make soap. Mix lye, water, and animal or vegetable fat, and use the resulting product to wash yourselves all over regularly.
c. Someday, an evil called "'tobacco"' will arise and wicked companions will entice you, saying, "Come and let us go smoke". Have nothing to do with it.
d. Wash your hands after you go potty (insert equivalent Hebrew euphemism here)

Humans discovered the usefulness of ancient and modern medicines, surgeries, and the principles of health and hygiene (sometimes in the face of religious opposition). God had nothing to do with it.

Doc
[+] 6 users Like docskeptic's post
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 04:26 PM by Simon Moon.)

Go ahead and shred it and tell me why these hundreds (thousands) of natural things in divergent families and kingdoms evolved to benefit us so greatly. I can take it. I saw someone trust in Christ last week and added some people to my church. I can take it. Blush

I'm so glad you know ahead of time that your ridiculous posts are going to be shredded. Too bad you continue to hold on to your ridiculous beliefs.

So, lets review:

1. Natural sourced medications are not always the better than synthetics.

2. There are 1000's of natural plants that are harmful or deadly to humans. Are they evidence that there is no 'God'?

3. We evolved on the same planet as all the helpful and healthy plants. The helpful and healthy plants are not here for our benefit. It's the Anthropic Principle.

To use Douglas Adams famous parable of the water puddle -

Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, "This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!"
[+] 3 users Like Simon Moon's post
10-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Well, I happen to like hominy, so there. Dodgy ween

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-04-2013, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 02:48 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-04-2013 03:59 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Bucky Ball,

God loves us so much that he gave us the following remedies in his "Holy Word":
1. Balm of Gilead (an unknown formulation, perhaps used as a topical analgesic, mentioned in Jeremiah 8:22)
2. Mandrakes and caper berries as aphrodisiacs (Gen. 30:14 and Eccles. 12:5, respectively, with the latter mentioned in the original Hebrew and the English Revised versions only)
3. The fig poultice in 2 Kings 20:7
4. The oil and wine of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:34
5. Myrrh as an analgesic or sedative in Mark 15:23.

This completes the biblical pharmacopeia.

So, if you need an aphrodisiac, you know where to turn. Good luck with anything else. I searched in vain for verses such as:

1. Study moldy bread carefully. You may be surprised at what you find.

While he was at it, God could also have thrown in a few verses like:

a. Always boil water before you drink it.
b. Here's how to make soap. Mix lye, water, and animal or vegetable fat, and use the resulting product to wash yourselves all over regularly.
c. Someday, an evil called "'tobacco"' will arise and wicked companions will entice you, saying, "Come and let us go smoke". Have nothing to do with it.
d. Wash your hands after you go potty (insert equivalent Hebrew euphemism here)

Humans discovered the usefulness of ancient and modern medicines, surgeries, and the principles of health and hygiene (sometimes in the face of religious opposition). God had nothing to do with it.

Doc

A perfect example of EVERYTHING that is spoken of in Biblical texts coming directly and ONLY from the culture that created it. I think they know what the Balm of Gilead (actually it says a Balm IN Gilead), but they know what it was, and it was widely traded in the trade caravans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balm_of_Gilead

2,3,4, and 5 were widely known also. Myrh of course they got from Arabia, (along with the moon god Sin, which eventually Mo and friends turned into Allah).

Now if he had disclosed the pump-oxygenator, kidney dialysis, or the artificial valve, (are Jews allowed to use pig valves ... hmmm, never thought about that one), atomic theory, the expansion of the universe, the Big Bang, or anything else, even ONE thing, that was not known or already existed in the culture, it might give one pause. There is NOTHING unique or original in the texts. Every single law in the Pentateuch was already known in the culture, and that's where they got it, (which is why the BS about "one man and one woman" is so much crap, as many of them had multiple wives. Solomon had 700 I think). Ole Yahweh didn't seem to mind much. Religion sanctioned and originated in culture, never did culture originate from and sanction religion. The god(s) somehow only "reveal" what is already known. Funny how that works.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
(10-04-2013 02:43 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

You do realize that an enormous amount of "pharmaceuticals" are based on natutally occuring elements as nach_in's example? Devilsadvoca8's observation should also be part of your homily, I'll help out...

Poisonous plants
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earth...ant-parts/

Poisonous flowers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_flowers

Additional source for both
http://www.babyguard.com/poisplan.html

Happy to help. Angel

Well done sir. I was just going to post something along the same lines.

While some plants have beneficial chemicals, the often come packaged with other chemicals that are harmful to us. The reason for these chemicals existing in plants is unique to the plant. For instance caffeine is an insecticide. (google caffeine insecticide)

What serves a function in nature often has different effects in different animals. Chocolate is tasty to humans, yet a neurotoxin to dogs.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post