Go ahead, shred my homily for today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: Go ahead, shred my homily for today
(10-04-2013 01:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "Natural remedies are almost always so much better than pharmaceuticals"
I seriously doubt that this premise would stand up to rigorous scientific testing. In fact I'd be surprised if such a test has not already been conducted. Try searching for one with Google or Bing. Write the FDA or ask your family doctor.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 05:12 PM
(10-04-2013 04:51 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  While some plants have beneficial chemicals, the often come packaged with other chemicals that are harmful to us. The reason for these chemicals existing in plants is unique to the plant. For instance caffeine is an insecticide. (google caffeine insecticide)

What serves a function in nature often has different effects in different animals. Chocolate is tasty to humans, yet a neurotoxin to dogs.

I just learned something new i.e. caffeine is an insecticide.
Amazing how this mystical "sharing of information" works huh? You know something I don't, vice versa, we interchange ideas, build on them, continue to observe and POW! Knowledge without supernatural intervention...it's, it's like magic!

Well done Vulcan.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-04-2013, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 05:59 PM by Simon Moon.)
(10-04-2013 05:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I just learned something new i.e. caffeine is an insecticide.
Amazing how this mystical "sharing of information" works huh? You know something I don't, vice versa, we interchange ideas, build on them, continue to observe and POW! Knowledge without supernatural intervention...it's, it's like magic!

Well done Vulcan.

Nicotine is also a great insecticide.

That Yahweh sure is a trickster. He designs tobacco with a great insecticide in it, thatl has also lead to more deaths than any other plant.

Yeah, He sure did design this world just for us in mind...right....
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
10-04-2013, 08:54 PM
It all has to do with survival and reproduction and none of it has to do with specifically feeding humans or curing our diseases.

Plants evolve mechanisms for reproduction (tasty fruit with seeds inside let's say) and survival defenses such as poisons (caffeine has been mentioned) to deter being consumed.

This scientific article talks about plant defense strategies that lead to the evolution of an inducible (a gene whose expression is responsive to environmental change) – as opposed to a constitutive (a gene that is always expressed) – strategy of plant resistance to herbivores...

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-03-dont-daisie...e.html#jCp

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-04-2013, 07:32 AM
We should not overlook the perfection of the banana! Checkmate Atheists!
11-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I’ll make a few replies. This is your playground, not mine, at this forum:
Quote: Mother Earth gives us lots of beneficial things.

Now, please Jesus, fuck off and go away.
At least here’s an admission of some truth. Ever read the warning pamphlets that come with synthesized pharmaceuticals? Ever see a loved one have paranoid delusions from chemotherapy? No, the creation was made “good”.
Quote: 1. Balm of Gilead (an unknown formulation, perhaps used as a topical analgesic, mentioned in Jeremiah 8:22)
2. Mandrakes and caper berries as aphrodisiacs (Gen. 30:14 and Eccles. 12:5, respectively, with the latter mentioned in the original Hebrew and the English Revised versions only)
3. The fig poultice in 2 Kings 20:7
4. The oil and wine of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:34
5. Myrrh as an analgesic or sedative in Mark 15:23.

This completes the biblical pharmacopeia.
It doesn’t but I use topical analgesics now, ancient peoples were often as stupid as moderns and had phony aphrodisiacs—you’re being disingenuous (I’m shocked!) since Jacob’s family used mandrakes without any divine support or law, and the “caperberry that is ineffective” in Ecclesiastes 12 goes with the whole passage – it’s a euphemism for erectile dysfunction, etc., etc.
Quote: a. Always boil water before you drink it.
b. Here's how to make soap. Mix lye, water, and animal or vegetable fat, and use the resulting product to wash yourselves all over regularly.
c. Someday, an evil called "'tobacco"' will arise and wicked companions will entice you, saying, "Come and let us go smoke". Have nothing to do with it.
d. Wash your hands after you go potty (insert equivalent Hebrew euphemism here)
Again, gilding a lily here. Most people who’ve lived knew the above without perhaps, the insight on boiling water. And over 200 of the 613 HB laws have health benefits attached! Epic, epic, epic fail.
Quote:
1. Natural sourced medications are not always the better than synthetics.

2. There are 1000's of natural plants that are harmful or deadly to humans. Are they evidence that there is no 'God'?

3. We evolved on the same planet as all the helpful and healthy plants. The helpful and healthy plants are not here for our benefit. It's the Anthropic Principle.
1. No, not always, just an astonishing amount of the time. Chew juniper berries and instantly cure nighttime Enuresis or else take some crap that if it makes you suicidal, tell a doctor before you die—but don’t stop taking it either without his express permission. Right.

2. And by and large, things that are harmful to humans and to ALL species UNIVERSALLY have “God’s warning signs” on them. We can sense rotted food, too—animal or plants—oh of course, EVERYTHING and EVERY adaptation that is helpful in a complex symbiotic circle of 10 million species is evolved – the Atheist’s version of “God did it” is “Mechanistic Evolution did it, slowly, not that we can see any incomplete fossils or nothing…”

3. Anthropic principle is an observation of the natural world that neatly fits the extent circumstances of God-made beings. It’s a response to the “wonders of nature/God”… how does prove or disprove anything in Evolution.

I ought to put up a PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU TOSS CANARDS notice on my posts for you folks. Smile
Quote:Chocolate is neurotoxic to dogs.
Good thing DOGS don’t have FACTORIES where they process cocoa beans with sugar then, right? Good thing man is the steward of the dog and not vice versa and (most) know not to give the dogs processed chocolate, right? That’s the point, it’s all good and meant to be enjoyed by man.
Quote: He designs tobacco with a great insecticide in it, thatl has also lead to more deaths than any other plant.
You make it sound like tobacco attacks man as a sentient thing. You have to smoke it and even a child knows the smoke is foul. I had a cigar the other day and it burned my throat when I inhaled too deeply. Did we really have to wait until the 1950’s to figure this out? Really?

Next it’s going to be a decision whether guns kill people or people kill people, right?

According to the Bible, the world is lovely but fallen, just like man. There are dangers and “the prudent man hides from danger”. Just as BB likes to spew, there’s very little in the Bible that isn’t common sense, if your syllogism starts with the Adam and Eve premise and not Evolution.
Quote:We should not overlook the perfection of the banana! Checkmate Atheists!
It’s check without mate, perhaps. Last time I checked, the primary consumers of the darn things still had opposing thumbs!
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
(10-04-2013 05:51 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  ...
Nicotine is also a great insecticide.

Then why the fuck do I get bitten so often when I smoke forty a day?!?!?

And also, why the fuck do I need to take vitamins, natural or otherwise?
Why the fuck didn't god design me to produce them naturally?

What a cunt!

(10-04-2013 01:07 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...
I saw someone trust in Christ last week and added some people to my church.

Just to be clear before I start loading my virtual firearms, remove rep points etc... please tell me that these 'people' were not children.

RSVP

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:Then why the fuck do I get bitten so often when I smoke forty a day?!?!?

And also, why the fuck do I need to take vitamins, natural or otherwise?
Why the fuck didn't god design me to produce them naturally?

What a cunt!
"You may say anything about Me, but you cannot be saved if you reject the promptings of the Spirit for you to trust me..." - Jesus

Quote:Just to be clear before I start loading my virtual firearms, remove rep points etc... please tell me that these 'people' were not children.

All adults.
11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
(10-04-2013 01:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Same thing crossed my mind...if the Christ is to be praised for the good, I want him to equally take the blame for the bad...and not be protected by the tired old "it's God's plan" crap.

Ah yes, sky daddy's mysterious plan. You have to beg the fucker to get you that new job you applied for but when it comes to a six year old girl being raped and killed by her mother's live in boyfriend.... he's got all that shit planned out ahead of time.

Disgusting.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:I seriously doubt that this premise would stand up to rigorous scientific testing. In fact I'd be surprised if such a test has not already been conducted. Try searching for one with Google or Bing. Write the FDA or ask your family doctor.
Huh, and here I thought we had common ground, since most freethinkers are liberals who love alternative medicine.

If you don't understand "Stop smoking, eat apples in the morning and have regular bowel movements" is better than "take Pill X from pill-pushing physician Y" then a Google search won't help you!

Butter beats margarine
Sugar beats saccharin
God bests Big Pharma

Love Mother Earth, brother!