Go ahead, shred my homily for today

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 02:40 PM
RE: Go ahead, shred my homily for today
I am familiar with them...unfortunately.

Ex-Catholic here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Got a better name though...Holy Spit!

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
I'll see your Holy Spit and raise a Feast of the Holy Prepuce celebrated on Dec. 31 to commemorate Jesus' circumcision.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 05:19 PM by fstratzero.)
(11-04-2013 11:27 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I seriously doubt that this premise would stand up to rigorous scientific testing. In fact I'd be surprised if such a test has not already been conducted. Try searching for one with Google or Bing. Write the FDA or ask your family doctor.
Huh, and here I thought we had common ground, since most freethinkers are liberals who love alternative medicine.

If you don't understand "Stop smoking, eat apples in the morning and have regular bowel movements" is better than "take Pill X from pill-pushing physician Y" then a Google search won't help you!

Butter beats margarine
Sugar beats saccharin
God bests Big Pharma

Love Mother Earth, brother!

You do realize that big pharma conspiracies reek of scientology?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_Co...man_Rights

Also no atheist in their right mind calls the earth "mother earth." Unless you meet a new ager.

(11-04-2013 08:43 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  1. No, not always, just an astonishing amount of the time. Chew juniper berries and instantly cure nighttime Enuresis or else take some crap that if it makes you suicidal, tell a doctor before you die—but don’t stop taking it either without his express permission. Right.

2. And by and large, things that are harmful to humans and to ALL species UNIVERSALLY have “God’s warning signs” on them. We can sense rotted food, too—animal or plants—oh of course, EVERYTHING and EVERY adaptation that is helpful in a complex symbiotic circle of 10 million species is evolved – the Atheist’s version of “God did it” is “Mechanistic Evolution did it, slowly, not that we can see any incomplete fossils or nothing…”

3. Anthropic principle is an observation of the natural world that neatly fits the extent circumstances of God-made beings. It’s a response to the “wonders of nature/God”… how does prove or disprove anything in Evolution.

Finally a great failure on your part is asserting that god gave you the correct amount of senses to distinguish bad plants from good ones.

The majority of what we know about plants has come from trial and error at first, and then chemical analysis, isolation, and experimentation.

A list of tasty plants that are poisionus are...

Castor Beans
Rosary Peas
Monkshood
Bushman’s poison
Angel’s trumpet
Water hemlock
English Yew
Monkey puzzle tree
Snakeroot
Strychnine tree
Narcissus
etc...

Some of these plants are very tasty, but incredibly deadly. It's not until the person eating the plant begins to die that another would notice it's harmful effects.

This of course isn't even tapping into all the forms of human parasites which you can never see with the human eye. It wasn't until the invention of the microscope that we as human beings even knew these things existed.

Most of the diseases were attributed to the devil and not to natural causes. I dare you to read a history of science book.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
So I am not in my right mind...'Mother Earth' was used tongue-in-cheek. I am too fucking old to be New Age. But thanks for the kindly reality check.

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Water can be poisonous Drinking Beverage If comsumed in a large enough quantity it will kill you!!!
Thanks for the waters of life JEEsus! Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
(11-04-2013 12:13 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 12:09 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  ...
Alternative medicine is wonderful when it works.

I know it's been posted a million times before but ... can't resist...

DLJ,
Thanks for posting this. I loved it. Why have I not heard of Tim Minchin before today? What else am I missing?

Doc
12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
I didn't read through all 5 pages, so forgive me if anyone already said this -- one of the great benefits of pharmaceuticals over natural remedies is dosage. If I have a cold, there's no question about how much cold medicine I should take -- it's right there on the label. However, how much "x" (where x is some natural remedy for the common cold) should I take? Is "x" something that I can weigh or get the volume of? And how much "x" can I take before I overdose? If it's impossible to overdose on "x", then a dose obviously isn't affecting me physically.

It's no surprise that there are things in nature that can remedy human diseases. After all, where do you think the ingredients for pharmaceuticals come from... another dimension? And if we're not cherry-picking examples, then it must be recognized that there are some common diseases that can't be cured by either natural or pharmaceutical medicines (such as rabies), and we need an explanation for those diseases if we're positing that cures were provided for us by the entity that created the diseases... why would a god cure some diseases and not others?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
12-04-2013, 04:58 PM
(10-04-2013 02:27 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I agree, I took a natural medication derived from willow bark this morning, and it cured me from a headache, it's called aspirin PRAISE THE LAWD!!

I don't know why you would thank the Lord for the aspirin which cured your headache, after all, it was the Lord who created your headache. It's kind of evens the score. But then isn't that what the Lord does; creates some problem, gives you the remedy, and then asks for praise and worship in payment? And if no remedy is forthcoming, well, He works in mysterious ways, right?
[+] 4 users Like Katiegal's post
12-04-2013, 05:03 PM
(12-04-2013 01:57 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 12:13 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I know it's been posted a million times before but ... can't resist...

DLJ,
Thanks for posting this. I loved it. Why have I not heard of Tim Minchin before today? What else am I missing?

Doc

OK, see you in a few days when you've caught up.

Make sure not to miss the Good Book song and the Pope song... well, all the songs, really.

Take Drinking Beverage to sustain yourself.