Go fuck yourself, Google.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Go fuck yourself, Google.
I really try to care about things like this. I really do. But I just end up cynically shrugging my shoulders.

I block ads compulsively, and I put way less shit online than do most of my friends and contemporaries. Some people, I tell you. Doesn't seem to occur to them that having every tiny little detail about themselves freely available to the whole world is maaaaaybe not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe.

I dunno; does it really matter what services you use? If something is online, assume somebody can access it. The service provider can, guaranteed - but realistically anyone can manage it.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 10:30 AM
(30-10-2013 09:40 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I really try to care about things like this. I really do. But I just end up cynically shrugging my shoulders.

I block ads compulsively, and I put way less shit online than do most of my friends and contemporaries. Some people, I tell you. Doesn't seem to occur to them that having every tiny little detail about themselves freely available to the whole world is maaaaaybe not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe.

I dunno; does it really matter what services you use? If something is online, assume somebody can access it. The service provider can, guaranteed - but realistically anyone can manage it.

It's about correlating info about millions of users. If anyone wants to stalk you personally, they can. It's time consuming and takes determination. But a service company like google can gather everything about you, from who your friends are, what interests you, what you buy, what you watch, what you listen to, what you say to your friends, what they think of you, what kind of family you have, who your kids are, where they go to school and so on. Everything you talk about in email or on google plus is gathered. If you answer all their questions, they know even more.

I find that disconcerting, and I find that there is no respect for privacy very disconcerting. But it bothers me most of all that we have a generation of people accepting this as normal.

Should we ever end up with a dictatorship, the government will hold all the cards. Hitler had to rely on informants, that limited him enough to allow the escape of many, many Jews. No such luck nowadays...

Privacy had to do with the preservation of freedom. Nobody cares about freedom anymore except those who don't have it.

I am glad I am getting older, frankly. I am worried about this brave, new world. It makes abuse of power so very easy. And don't say it couldn't happen here, that's what people have always said before things went south....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
30-10-2013, 10:41 AM
(30-10-2013 10:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's about correlating info about millions of users. If anyone wants to stalk you personally, they can. It's time consuming and takes determination. But a service company like google can gather everything about you, from who your friends are, what interests you, what you buy, what you watch, what you listen to, what you say to your friends, what they think of you, what kind of family you have, who your kids are, where they go to school and so on. Everything you talk about in email or on google plus is gathered. If you answer all their questions, they know even more.

I find that disconcerting, and I find that there is no respect for privacy very disconcerting. But it bothers me most of all that we have a generation of people accepting this as normal.

I can't count it as too big a change, mind. If you're talking you can be overheard; mail can be read; phones can be listened to. Communication over the internet is then necessarily susceptible to compromise as well. The key point being how much easier it is.

If you have something you don't want to be overheard, you can take relatively simple steps to that end. This is also possible online.

Nobody bothers.
(where 'nobody' is 'almost nobody among those I know, who as a group are probably disproportionately high')

And maybe some of that stems from an unconscious cynicism (for lack of a better word) even than mine.
IF someone wants to, they can find out everything about you anyway (all the more so online)
THEREFORE, why bother?
Which is to say - since complete privacy is unavailable, why have any?

(30-10-2013 10:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  Should we ever end up with a dictatorship, the government will hold all the cards. Hitler had to rely on informants, that limited him enough to allow the escape of many, many Jews. No such luck nowadays...

Privacy had to do with the preservation of freedom. Nobody cares about freedom anymore except those who don't have it.

I am glad I am getting older, frankly. I am worried about this brave, new world. It makes abuse of power so very easy. And don't say it couldn't happen here, that's what people have always said before things went south....

One the one hand - people do some dumb things. On the other - aren't they free to do so?

30-10-2013, 10:42 AM
double post
Sad

I blame terrible campus internet service.

30-10-2013, 11:37 AM
(30-10-2013 10:41 AM)cjlr Wrote:  One the one hand - people do some dumb things. On the other - aren't they free to do so?

Yes, they still are....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-10-2013, 12:15 PM
That is because we are not the clients of google,the add companies are. We are like the workers,we view/click the adds and google gets money.
Ever wondered why such a (not that) great service is free?
Read the tos of gmail. Google has the right to read your mail to customise google searches and adds based on those emails and other things

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
30-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Google is always free to read my email, in Croatian... Let it understand my Croatian slang, I dare it. Smile

On a sunnier side of the coin, I just found out how to revert my youtube account back to it's original ONLY-youtube thingy. Also, I could then delete my whole Google+ account, without loosing anything. So, I got my email back and my youtube account back, without the BS of G+. Now the problem I will have is Google keeps offering me some shit every time I log on... Guess I'll have to endure some tough shit here...

Tongue

Suck it Google, you are becoming like FB. And I hate FB...

[Image: Meme_face_mad.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
30-10-2013, 02:35 PM
(30-10-2013 08:11 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  That's all.

I understand your frustration but I can't do anything about it. Sorry.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2013, 06:26 PM
What alternative search engines are people using? I've gotten into a Google rut and would like to try some others out.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
30-10-2013, 06:37 PM
(30-10-2013 06:26 PM)Heathen Wrote:  What alternative search engines are people using? I've gotten into a Google rut and would like to try some others out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post