Go to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Go to church?
Hello, everyone!

As a new member, I wasn't really sure if I should have posted here or elsewhere, but here it is nonetheless.

I've recently moved to Germany and I've been unable to find any friends here, despite the fact that I can speak the language. Someone has recommended to me that I go to church to meet some people there and partake in any events or charity. I don't really mind Christianity or Christians that much, but it depends on the person. However, I would not like pretending to be a Christian, either.

I know I could also go to some club or something, but I am more of a laid-back guy who'd rather go for a walk or coffee than a club. Has anyone ever given churches a try? Should I even bother at all or just keep looking for religion-free communities, places?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes johnreal's post
07-01-2016, 02:30 PM
RE: Go to church?
Well I guess it would depend on you postion. Why would you want to give up an hour+ of your weekend sitting on uncomfortable pews hearing about how awful you are when you can be out doing anything else? I was only in Germany for a week and I found tons of things to do. Fuck your in Europe! I could think of 100 better things to do.

You should go to places that you would enjoy. Meet people there.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
07-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Meetup.com has international locations (http://www.meetup.com/cities/de/)

I would search for secular groups to hang out with. You could also try craigslist or search secular groups for your town/city.

I think you will be happier in the long run.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
07-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Churches are notorious for cliques that are hard to break in. Also, there is a high expectation placed upon moral behavior. It would be pretty tough, I think to go the church route and not have them always in your face about believing the "right" beliefs. From what I hear, Germany is much more secular than America, so maybe churches there are more socially oriented and less dogmatic. Probably depends on the church.

Still, I'd find other ways of meeting people. Find out if any of your friends or relatives know ANYONE who lives in Germany. Even a friend of a friend can be good enough to make an acquaintance with someone. Then maybe you can tag along with their social network until you feel established.

And as mentioned, Meetup.com is an excellent resource if there are secular groups in your area.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-01-2016, 03:36 PM
I recommend trying to meet people at venues that disregard religion entirely. Whether it's Christian, Hindu, or atheist, joining something that is belief specific does nothing but limit you. Go bowling. Not Christian bowling. Now atheist bowling. Just bowling.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-01-2016, 08:44 AM
(07-01-2016 01:54 PM)johnreal Wrote:  However, I would not like pretending to be a Christian, either.

Just going to church wouldn't be pretending to be a Christian. Church services are open to the public and anyone can attend, whether they are Christians or not.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2016, 09:08 AM
(07-01-2016 01:54 PM)johnreal Wrote:  Hello, everyone!

As a new member, I wasn't really sure if I should have posted here or elsewhere, but here it is nonetheless.

I've recently moved to Germany and I've been unable to find any friends here, despite the fact that I can speak the language. Someone has recommended to me that I go to church to meet some people there and partake in any events or charity. I don't really mind Christianity or Christians that much, but it depends on the person. However, I would not like pretending to be a Christian, either.

I know I could also go to some club or something, but I am more of a laid-back guy who'd rather go for a walk or coffee than a club. Has anyone ever given churches a try? Should I even bother at all or just keep looking for religion-free communities, places?

Do you actually want to be friends with Christians who go to church? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2016, 09:19 AM
You want to hang out with people who buy into the idea that atheists are the scum of the earth?

Go visit a museum. Hit a pub. Lurk in the laundromat. Sit outdoors at a cafe.

Better yet - read a book in a public place. People always bother those who are reading.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
08-01-2016, 09:31 AM
I think the very idea of going to a church to simply meet people is bizarre. It's near the bottom of my list along with visiting sewage farms and abattoirs.

I'm guessing that maybe you're from a part of the USA? Maybe a part where churches are the social hubs? Tell me if I'm wrong............

But we Europeans are generally secular in outlook and while some people will do things through the church (my mother does), it is invariably seen as only something that people do on Sundays.

As I say, I may be completely wrong about you........

What are your hobbies? I'm sure you'll find Germans who are similarly inclined. Someone is bound to have a club to cater for it, whatever it is..............but not bowling.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
08-01-2016, 09:46 AM
(07-01-2016 03:26 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Meetup.com has international locations (http://www.meetup.com/cities/de/)

I would search for secular groups to hang out with. You could also try craigslist or search secular groups for your town/city.

I think you will be happier in the long run.

^ ^ ^ ^

What Heatheness said.

And besides, church is full of old fogies.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.