Go to jail for being an Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Go to jail for being an Atheist
Apparently in Kentucky, it is illegal to be an Atheist.

In their Homeland Security law, it says so, and is punishable by up to 12 months in jail.
http://www.alternet.org/belief/year-jail...g-atheists

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
26-11-2012, 01:38 PM
RE: Go to jail for being an Atheist
Unbelievable. Violating the separation of church and state could be valid grounds for jail time, but not atheism. And how stupid this law is anyway! It's so "comforting" to know that when we really need action by Homeland Security, they'll be depending on "God". Rolleyes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
26-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Weren't the people responsible for 9/11 also depending on God?

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 7 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
26-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Egregious breach of the First Amendment. I guarantee that the Supreme Court will strike it down.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
26-11-2012, 02:30 PM
(26-11-2012 01:40 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Weren't the people responsible for 9/11 also depending on God?
Allahu Ackbar!

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
26-11-2012, 02:35 PM
(26-11-2012 01:43 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Egregious breach of the First Amendment. I guarantee that the Supreme Court will strike it down.
OK, so what's your guarantee then? What do you offer me if the Supreme Court does not strike it down?

I, for one, wish that our Supreme Court didn't have to get involved in petty crap like this. Shouldn't they have better things to do? Is deciding whether a plaque hangs on a building really a "supreme" use of a court?

I agree, Homeland Security should not just be sitting there praying that God will protect the country. The plaque in question states that the country is only safe because of God, so it implies that H.S. can just leave it in God's hands, but I'm pretty sure they don't actually do that - they are doing all their stuff to find terrorists, hunt them down, arrest them (or more drastic measures), and keep us safe.

I won't argue whether H.S. is effective or not, or even constitutional - that isn't on-target for this thread. This thread is about the plaque, and whether or not it's constitutional to hang it on a H.S. building.

So the reality is that H.S. will do what it does, regardless of this silly plaque. Nobody is going to jail for it. The plaque in no way alters what H.S. will or won't do, nor does it reflect that they're avoiding the duties of their job and leaving it to God instead.

So why the uproar?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-11-2012, 03:04 PM
(26-11-2012 02:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  So why the uproar?
If it were really true, HS could just quit their jobs and not even have any plaques or buildings.

The uproar is because it is yet another thing connecting god with government. The plaque itself might be harmless, but it makes theists forget that separation of church and state exist, which, in the long run, could be harmful to everybody.

Not to mention the 12 months in prison thing. I don't think it'd be enforced, but it's still insane.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
26-11-2012, 03:29 PM
(26-11-2012 02:35 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  So why the uproar?
Because, you're wrong, it's not just about hanging the plaques. It's about the separation of church and state. If we don't care enough to enforce that separation and take a stand when someone wants to violate it, then we open the door to the slippery slope. Before long, religion will creep back into schools and government far more than what's left now. If no one is going to create an uproar, what's stopping the religious-minded from pushing their agendas?

...and at the cost of prison time to those who would oppose them!

No fucking way!

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
26-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh pshaw!

I'm a big fan of separation of church and state. I am an atheist living in Utah, the Mormon Vatican state. I get it.

But the plaque is just a plaque. It's not a slippery slope. It's not an open door for Christians to creep back into schools and governments. The word "egregious" was used in the linked article and by at least one poster in this thread. It's not egregious. It's barely even noticeable.

On the other hand, we march to war over this plaque and it just polarizes the religious community. "Oh, look, those stupid atheists are getting all bent out of shape about this little plaque? There all a bunch of over-reacting hot-heads trying to legislate god out of our lives". Fine. Let them think that, I can't stop them - but if we must polarize them, right here, right now, can't we at least do it over something more "egregious" than a stupid little plaque?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
26-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Aseptic Skeptic, I completely disagree. It is not just about a plaque. It is setting a precedent that violating the first amendment is OK. That they can get away with it. This kind of thing would never have even come up 20 years ago, because it would have been unacceptable. The fact that this was even passed into law says a lot about the shift towards theocracy in our society over the last 2-3 decades. This kind of thing needs to be challenged, every single time.
[+] 3 users Like tikidoc's post